MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Questions Of The Day (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 300, 301, 302  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Again that's two reasons. There is no correlation between competence and sexual activity. Look at me, I hardly get a sniff nowadays.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

The Bojo regime will never last. I can't see how the whips can continue to function. How the hell can you get MPs through the lobbies if you can't threaten to expose their indiscretions. Whatever they have done, Bojo has already done it. Democracy is over.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Thank God. All that chopping and changing. Newsnight, unaccountably Newsearlyevening, was interesting about the changing mores. They all agreed they were, drastically, but were more mixed on whether this was a good thing or a bad thing. Though Hancock has trespassed on our tolerance on about seven different optics and really shouldn't have a prayer whatever your own pet peeves. He probably spoke unkindly to the Downing Street gateman on his way home too. Personally I think two other factors should be factored in

1. It is now Labour who uphold family values. The Left is always a-sexual -- treating it all as bourgeois individualism getting in the way of the Perfectibility of Man -- but just lately they seem to have become positively Victorian. Try to imagine new drama/novels/manifestos that are not about blacks, women, immigrants, the poor but about real people. Just saying it like that tells you everything you need to know.

2. Boris Johnson has clearly learned from previous scandals and has decided, as policy, always to ride out the storm. It has proved to be a great success so far (not excluding himself). Tory talking heads were reduced to 'Hancock must resign if the Prime Minister won't sack him." An interesting thought. Stepping down for the sake of the party/the government/the country/the world without having to be told to.

Did you spot one telling detail? The 'other woman' said à propos Hancock, "We were both working on Oxford Radio, me doing the news, him doing the sport. As I said to him, 'You're not good enough to do the news.'" She added a giggle but I think she will find Matt is going to insist she'll have to go.
Wile E. Coyote

Social distancing Stasi V the Buzzcocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Af7ayYIJ9w
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I entirely accept that it is sometimes necessary for an individual to take the fall for society's ills in order to start changing those ills but for Chauvin to get twenty-two years is a pretty shocking fall. It is difficult to think of anyone anywhere getting twenty-two years for a) not being aware he was doing anything wrong b) doing his job as he thought necessary at the time c) doing what all his peers were doing generally and d) not being stopped from doing it by his peers present in particular.

Apart from all those Pakistanis in northern mill towns being weighed off for twenty-five years for hanging out with pliant English (white) girls.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So Hancock went after all. Though not before making a formal apology to camera which managed to strike every wrong note in the PR bible. He'll go far in this government.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

He'll go far in this government.

They say policemen always seem to be getting younger (because you're getting older) so it may be that politicians seem to be getting worse (as I get better). But I don't think so. Politics always used to be a full-time job for amateurs. That is you made your way as a lawyer, a trade union official, a landed gent, a bureaucrat etc and then became a politician. This does not seem to be the case now when you have to start your rise at your university Labour/Tory/Whatsit Club just to get your foot in the door before beings snaffled up by a professional politician or organisation and then, as a member of the club, you have to make your way.

It shouldn't mean 'worse' automatically but imagine turning up at a Selection Meeting with the words (and I am quoting Margaret Thatcher/Tony Blair here) "I'm an industrial chemist/barrister but I've always been a Tory/Tory..."

Only kidding. She was a right royal radical.
Wile E. Coyote

You can argue that Hancock only has himself to blame, as spokesman for the government's overzealous approach to curtailing freedom in the name of Public Health but if it is true he was filmed ass fondling by a CCTV camera installed in his office without his knowledge, and this was then leaked, then the real issue is a creeping secret state, not the hypocrisy of Hancock.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, this has provoked some consternation but I would have thought the more important a priori question is: "Who in their right mind allows offices of senior personnel to be filmed in real time so that two security guards in the basement can watch you scratching your balls etc?"

But it also raises the question, "Do senior personnel know they are being filmed in real time, and if so are they really likely to give their secretary one doggy style across the desk unless they are right perves who enjoy being watched, and her of course, assuming she has given informed consent, and not forgetting in this day and age it could be the senior person who is a woman and the secretary a man, or indeed several other possible gender combinations?"
Wile E. Coyote

I can empathise with Matt, as for Gina, she has shown an incredible lack of taste, so surely she had to go.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Did Hancock declare it in the Register of Members' Interests? He did not have to when Gina was appointed without remuneration but did -- and he did -- when she was put on the payroll for fifteen gees. However, that was when Gina was an official in the ministry, paid by the ministry. If she was providing Hancock, but not the ministry, with what the tax code calls 'benefits in kind' during office hours then Hancock should have declared that separately and it would be a breach of the ministerial code if he did not. Though, following the Pritti Patel precedent, that is not in itself a resigning matter so I don't know why I'm even bringing it up. Honestly this kind of Justice Cocklecarrot attitude is simply not appropriate when dealing with such grave constitutional questions.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Members are allowed to hire their wives so would it have made any difference if Matt had been married to Gina? I think not but this may require a ruling from the Committee on Standards.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It is good to see Sajid back (we had to hide him while Trump was president). Although I have not the slightest doubt he is a lying Tory scumbag chancer who is even now practising his devilish Kama Sutrian wiles on English roses while 'in office', you can't help liking him.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Priti Patel plans for migrants to be held in offshore hub

Hub, what hub?

Priti Patel will introduce laws next week to enable the government to send asylum seekers abroad for processing as she opens talks with Denmark over sharing a centre in Africa.

No, I don't know why Denmark, and I don't know where in Africa.

Will there be a rush of African countries volunteering to be re-colonised for a prison camp? It seems unlikely.

Although I have to confess when I first saw they headline I did wonder if they had somewhere like Jersey in mind. It might be insensitive to reopen Sylt on Alderney.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

What is known in the business as The Australian Solution. Members should note that Nauru is not an 'out of sight, out of mind' solution, it is a 'discourage migrants making for Australia in the first place but in a way that doesn't hold Australia up to world obloquy' solution.

No, I don't know why Denmark, and I don't know where in Africa

Nor does Pritti. Anyone prepared to help defray costs because they are in the same bind and anywhere that is not either Britain or Denmark will do.

Will there be a rush of African countries volunteering to be re-colonised for a prison camp? It seems unlikely.

On the contrary. This is called The Turkey Solution. Any country (including, I suppose, Britain and Denmark) will volunteer for any number of migrants if the price is right.

Although I have to confess when I first saw they headline I did wonder if they had somewhere like Jersey in mind. It might be insensitive to reopen Sylt on Alderney.

This is called the Lesbos or the Lampedusa Antecedent to the Turkey Solution (or increasingly the Libya Solution). Channel Islanders have every reason to worry now the bastard French have abandoned their Calais Camp Solution that worked so well. Fortunately or unfortunately, Channel Islanders are complete fascists who will sink any boat that survives the Alderney Race with gunfire and then announce via Reuters "Anyone else wanna try their luck? We don't give a monkeys what anyone thinks of us, you liberal tossers."

I knew someone just like that from those parts who threw out, bag and baggage, a penniless, undocumented, unaccompanied, barely into his forties, refugee from life. Asylum? They'd closed 'em!
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 300, 301, 302  Next

Jump to:  
Page 195 of 302

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in