MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Questions Of The Day (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 192, 193, 194 ... 301, 302, 303  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

What a bunch of amateurs. Only Trubo has learned the correct leg angle and hands-pointing-to-crotch position. And, hello, it's the G9.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

G9 (downgraded to G8)
Pavel Chekov (Russia) - Nil Point - Lost on penalties.

Star Trek references are still topical as Newquay (ex RAF St.Mawgan) is now listed as a UK Space Port, for launching Virgins into space.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31711083
Mick Harper
Site Admin

On arrival as an undergraduate at Nottingham I was told that the lions in Slab Square roared every time a virgin walked past. I'd better steer clear, I thought to myself.
Boreades

BoJo The Builder

We’re building back better together. And building back greener. And building back fairer. And building back more equal. Maybe in a more general neutral, a more feminine, way.

Good speech Boris, I think you ticked most of the boxes there. Next time, see if you can mention " building back substainable carbon neutral" as well.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Even so, it's a weird one. Designed to be Democracy's reply to the Chinese Belt-and-Braces initiative of building people's transport infrastructure for them, what exactly is it? Whatever it is, it's petty damned late -- eight years after China started their programme.

But here's the thing: the customers have all been complaining it's turned out to have benefited China rather more than them (not that that has stopped any of them sucking on the teat). So how do you benefit all the G7 countries simultaneously? You can't. So who will stump up the trillions? Nobody will. My guess is that it's basically a credit exercise, taking over the functions of the World Bank now that the Americans can no longer control that to their heart's content.

That's the basic flaw in the G7: more divides them than unites them. And whatever does benefit them all is an exercise in The Bleedin' Obvious -- like taxing Amazon et al. And I predict that will run into stormy waters when America discovers everybody taxing their hi-tec multinationals doesn't benefit them half as much as it benefits the G6. Ditto the much more pressing matter of closing down the offshore banking industry. Britain, for one, won't wear that. So shaming.

But the main objection to Building Back Together is even more bleedin obvious. If something's worth doing, it'll get done. If it ain't worth doing, it requires some Do-Gooding Intervention to get it done. That's the big difference between us and the Chinese. They are not Do-Gooders and generally speaking they do much more good in the world. AE even has a phrase for it: Mayor Daley Syndrome.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
Even so, it's a weird one. Designed to be Democracy's reply to the Chinese Belt-and-Braces initiative of building people's transport infrastructure for them.

That reminds me. In today's "Frighten Me Some More" news drips...

Disruption in the global container shipping industry shows no sign of being resolved quickly and could lead to shortages in the run-up to Christmas, ... If you want to get something for your family for Christmas, start shopping now.
Al Beeb

Has anyone else noticed that major container operators (like Maersk) are buying up big blocks of container space on the "Silk Rail"? i.e. container trains from China to Europe. Which cuts transport time from 5 or 6 weeks to 2 or 3 weeks. But mostly for literally hundreds of containers of "priority medical supplies". Which includes Covid equipment and test kits.

As COVID-19 pandemic continues, the demand of rapid antigen Self-test kits has increased. The client in the Pharmaceutical sector has purchased almost five hundred 40’-containers of these detection kits, and Maersk will arrange the transportation in the following two months.

Eh? We're buying Wuhan Flu Test Kits from the place it came from? I don't know whether to be astonished at the astonishing irony, or applaud their success in turning a disaster into a goldmine. I know, I'll do both.

Are there many of these trains all the way from China, all on Chinese-built infrastructure?

During 2020, Maersk has operated a total of 210 tailored intercontinental trains from China to European countries, among which 60 are dedicated to delivery of crucial medical equipment. With customers’ increasing interests in transporting cargoes via rail services, we are doing our utmost to provide this cost-efficient, environmentally friendly mode of transportation,” adds Nora Lin, Head of Logistics Products, Maersk’s Greater China.

And that's just one container operator (Maersk).

Anyway, it looks like the NHS is shopping early for Christmas (and Seasonal Flu). But it also looks like our Christmas toys are at the back of the queue, or on a slow boat from China. Some you win, some you lose.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Very interesting, closely argued -- and well laid-out! Not that I accept your adding two plus two and coming up with two fat ladies. Maersk is Danish, the NHS is Twattish so doubtful ingredients for a conspiratorial figgy pudding. But there were some incidental sixpences in your Tales of the Expected Unexpected. (That's enough strained mixed metaphors to last us till Christmas, Mick.)

During 2020, Maersk has operated a total of 210 tailored intercontinental trains from China to European countries, among which 60 are dedicated to delivery of crucial medical equipment

Sounds a lot but would fit on a single container ship with space over to run a multi-deck quoits tournament. Rail vs ship over vast distances is so wildly uneconomical that it is not so much pointing to sixty trains carrying 'crucially required' medical supplies as wondering what was in the other 150. When they talk about 'tailored services' they surely mean "It's got to be a fairly short train on account of the Silk Train running through so many (still) underdeveloped parts of the world e.g. getting it through the Eurostar Tunnel."

With customers’ increasing interests in transporting cargoes via rail services, we are doing our utmost to provide this cost-efficient, environmentally friendly mode of transportation,” adds Nora Lin, Head of Logistics Products, Maersk’s Greater China.

I think she is talking up the market when referring to cost-efficient and environmentally friendly modes of transport, unless she is comparing it to overburdened mules on the original Silk Road. If it's urgent, it goes by air; if it isn't, it goes by sea. It's what we old hands call "the hovercraft equation".
Mick Harper
Site Admin

People always think 'establishing good relations' is a good thing. Biden has just declared the summit a success because he has achieved exactly that. Sorry, Joe, it just ain't so. It breaks the AE commandment 'Thou shalt have no a priori strategies (apart from this one)'. What you mean is that Putin has agreed not to have bad relations by doing things you don't like but Putin now knows something he didn't know before. That Joe Biden is a big one for 'good relations'. The sap will certainly pay a smallish price for maintaining them, maybe a bit more if Putin plays his cards right..

Now, Joe, what you might not know is that Putin does not suffer from this curious affliction. Very few people outside of liberals do. So you've just handed him a new weapon. He knows you won't do anything to jeopardise good relations, he can pick and choose whether he does. He doesn't have a priori strategies.

Don't forget, Joe, America won the Cold War by having bad relations with Russia (1945-89) and no relations at all with China (1949-72). I'm not saying these were great ideas either (more a priori strategising) but put 'em behind your ear for later, they can be damn useful. Alongside 'good relations', they're a good idea too. They are all the result of foreign policy, not foreign policy itself.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
If it's urgent, it goes by air; if it isn't, it goes by sea. It's what we old hands call "the hovercraft equation".

Ah yes, that was a great career dead-end for a cousin of mine, working for HoverLloyd, with their fleet of wonderful hovercraft.

The SR.N4 (Saunders-Roe Nautical 4) hovercraft (also known as the Mountbatten class hovercraft) was a combined passenger and vehicle-carrying class of hovercraft. The type has the distinction of being the largest civil hovercraft to have ever been put into service.

Not just technically excellent, but successful too!

The 1970s was a time of optimism and growth for Hoverlloyd. Following initial difficulties, the company's fleet achieved a very high reliability record, having consistently operated in excess of 98 percent of scheduled crossings while maintaining an unblemished safety record throughout the firm's existence. Hoverlloyd possessed excellent operational bases, a hovercraft-friendly route, a fleet capable of generating returns on investment, and good quality staff.

What could possibly go wrong?

Rising oil prices
Each SR.N4 was powered by an arrangement of four Bristol Proteus gas turbine engines; while these were marinised and proved to be one of the hovercraft's more reliable systems, they were relatively fuel-hungry, consuming significant amounts of aviation-grade kerosene. As the worldwide oil crisis of the 1970s caused fuel prices to rise sharply, the operation of the SR.N4 became increasingly uneconomic, especially in comparison to slower, diesel-powered ferries.

Debt Serviving
Hoverlloyd was a highly leveraged company with debt accounting from one-third of operating profits in 1976 and 1977 to two-fifths in 1978, three-fiths in 1979 and four-fitfhs in 1980

It ended up between a rock and a hard place. More expensive than sea ferries, slower and noisier than aircraft. And the Channel Tunnel was the coup de grâce.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I wonder if these really were the decisive factors. [On a technical note, I believe aviation kerosene is cheaper than diesel oil, it's a question of fractionisation in the refinery or summat.] The other way of looking at things is that hovercraft offer the bulk carrying volumes of ships with the speed of airplanes but apart (I believe) from some ferries in the Caspian Sea, nobody seems able to make the numbers work.

I suppose an AE aspect is that Britain tried hardest on account of inventing them and the Russians tried the next hardest on account of maybe wanting to invade Iran across the Caspian Sea some time in the future. The US Marine Corps are, I think, just about still in the game. The other AE point is that it took a helluva long time for the world to give up on them, which brings us back to long distance goods trains, a technology invented by the British in the 1820's. These also have the high volume/high speed but not-enough-of-either equation facing them.

Imagine a dedicated specially-built TGV track from Beijing to London supplied for free by the Chinese. Would anyone actually travel on it, would anyone send goods on it? It would be ironic if it was discovered that they would, but only if hovercraft-style magnetic levitation was used.

PS Another British invention!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You can always count on Northern Ireland to brighten up your day. The current bust up is all about the Irish Language which, in case you were wondering, is not spoken by a single person in Northern Ireland. If someone asked me whether I would be in favour of having Notting Hill road signs in English and Swahili I would probably say not. But if they said all government institutions would be suspended and the fate of English-speakers in Notting Hill would be jeopardised if Swahili wasn't added, I'd probably say all right, WTF.

If I was a member of a political party I would probably favour the removal of our leader if she had caused the loss of billions of pounds in circumstances that brought her own motives into question, and had led to the suspension of many governmental functions, rather than allow her to continue in office for five years. On the other hand if that leader had just signed an agreement that our party had agreed to last year, I would probably favour him remaining in office for longer than twenty days.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Tory MPs' faith in Johnson has been shaken Guardian

Errant punditry from the normally divine Katy Balls (and not just because we are about to send the Spectator a review copy of Missing Persons). The voters of Chesham and Amersham (pub quiz question: name an English constituency which combines two termini of the London underground) have not been Tories since the Great Reform Act because they take any notice of the antics of Tory leaders. Disraeli was from these parts. Sure, they will lose a few seats to Lib Dems, they always do, but not this one because the Lib Dems are in favour of TSR-2 which runs straight through the constituency. Unlike the two branches of the Metropolitan Line of course.

England is rock solid conservative, always has been, always will be, and shall be proved so be so once again when Keir Starmer is invited to kiss hands in 2024.
Grant

The Lib dems have got to be the most unscrupulous liars in politics. They won this seat by pretending to hate HS2 when they voted for it.

It reminds me of when they tried to win our council seat by opposing the conversion of an empty pub into a KFC. As soon as they got in power they discovered they didn’t have the power to stop the KFC anyway as it wasn’t a change of use - which any fool could have told them.

I was quite pleased because I’m partial to the odd bargain bucket.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I understand in Middlesbrough they buy the chicken for the bucket. Which they use to go begging in wealthier parts of the north-east. Relatively speaking. But tell your people everything changes when HS2 is extended beyond Leeds. Don't tell them it's not being extended beyond Birmingham. Or, given the latest by-election results, they may spend the money instead on upgrading the Metropolitan Line. Which reminds me whatever happened to Crossrail? Surely they've solved the signalling problems by now. Honestly London's infrastructure is a joke. It's like living in the days before the Stockton & Darlington.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Of course the Tories lost. Governments always lose by-elections. That was always so, until Sir Keir introduced Labour's new policy of allowing the Tories to win by-elections in safe Red wall seats by not contesting them. Wiley can't agree with those that say Sir Keir is afraid of taking unpopular decisions as this is terrifying his MPs. It seems, however, that the Lib-Dems are less sure that Sir Keir has it right, and are jumping on whatever bandwagon they can. Liberal Democrat politicians will say anything to get elected. Simon Hughes, who was gay, famously engaged in a homophobic campaign to get elected and became a MP remembered for nothing much at all, whilst the loser, Peter Tatchell, became a national treasure.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 192, 193, 194 ... 301, 302, 303  Next

Jump to:  
Page 193 of 303

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in