MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Questions Of The Day (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 182, 183, 184 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I too have been impressed with the various stories of Britain's new found agri-competitiveness but find them unconvincing when weighed against the amount of subsidies that, apparently, are required to keep the sector going. Your examples seem to confirm my scepticism viz

1. Was it last year or the year before that when dairy farmers were clogging up the byways in protest because the supermarkets had dropped the price to Xp per gallon and farmers were departing the dairy business 'one per day', and the Ministry was forced to 'set up a scheme'. Seems to have worked! They generally do.

2. As you say, or rather as I said, cheap land like Teeside brownsites can be reasonably competitive (in EU terms). Aye, sugar beet, that's what the doctor ordered. Leastways while the cane industry is still mired in Latin American politics. Otherwise it would be cheap at half the price.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Ah well, we'll have to wait and see. What are the odds it will be "everything kept calm and carried on"?

Either way, M'Lady won't believe it until it's been mentioned on The Archers. But at the moment, she's more concerned that Eddie Grundy's latest scheme is metal-detectoring for "lost treasure" coins on Ambridge Farm. King Alfred got a mention. I said Eddie will be 'king lucky if he finds anything.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

We seem to have developed a new thing during Covid-19 a nuance on the concept of the asymptomatic individual

wiki wrote:
An asymptomatic carrier (healthy carrier or just carrier) is a person or other organism that has become infected with a pathogen, but that displays no signs or symptoms.[1]

Although unaffected by the pathogen, carriers can transmit it to others or develop symptoms in later stages of the disease. Asymptomatic carriers play a critical role in the transmission of common infectious diseases such as typhoid, HIV, C. difficile, influenzas, cholera, tuberculosis and COVID-19,

Note Influenza is on the list.

Note also that nuance
or develop symptoms in later stages of the disease

This is not what we are being told about COVID-19.....The asymptomatic individual is unlucky enough for us to panic that he is a carrier, but we can all happily assume he or she will never later on develop symptoms of COVID-19 at all. It will always mysteriously disapear from the individual, bit like a false positive would have done.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We should not forget the overall AE position. This is the first true global pandemic i.e. one of which the world has consciousness (in the Marxist sense). All previous ones have turned out to be either non-events or non-treatable. Hence we are bound to be making mistakes on an epic scale. We (AEists) must not be overly critical. You know our motto: charity to all, except [list follows].
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Note Influenza is on the list.

Why wouldn't it be?

or develop symptoms in later stages of the disease

This is not what we are being told about COVID-19.....The asymptomatic individual is unlucky enough for us to panic that he is a carrier, but we can all happily assume he or she will never later on develop symptoms of COVID-19 at all. It will always mysteriously disappear from the individual, bit like a false positive would have done.

You must be listening to a different source of propaganda. Mine's been telling me to isolate if I come into close contact with an individual who has tested positive, because it may take up to 10 day to develop symptoms myself, but I could still possibly pass the virus to others during this asymptomatic phase.

That's what the propaganda says... Just saying... (as Wiley might say.)
Wile E. Coyote

Chad wrote:
Why wouldn't it be?

Dont know about you, but whilst I have always known that you shouldn't visit a hospital with flu symptoms, no one has told me that if you have a family member who has flu, you shouldn't also visit as you might have contracted it, but be asymptomatic?.
Wile E. Coyote

Chad wrote:

You must be listening to a different source of propaganda. Mine's been telling me to isolate if I come into close contact with an individual who has tested positive, because it may take up to 10 day to develop symptoms myself, but I could still possibly pass the virus to others during this asymptomatic phase.

No problems with that but in that case you do develop symptoms. We are now being told you can be asymptomatic and never develop symptons.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Twas ever thus.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
We are now being told you can be asymptomatic and never develop symptoms.

T'was ever thus, with all kinds of things, not just Covid. "Modern" health systems (like our NHS) are still built on the expensive "cure" of illnesses that have been triggered, rather than the much-less expensive prevention of illnesses that have not been triggered.

The major problem (for the healthcare provider) is that the latter depends on encouraging people to take active, positive, and personal responsibility for their own well-being. Instead of being a passive victim of circumstances.

But what do I know? #1 Son says I'm an asymptomatic genius.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

There has never been a pandemic. Pandemics are not real.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I can remember a time when Liverpudlians were proud to be criminals.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I am satisfied for the first time in five years of Brexit negotiating that the British are more sinned against than sinning.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I was once awarded temporary custody of a young Polisario maiden so I shall suspend writing about the Moroccan/Israeli agreement overnight while I wait for my emotional engagement to slacken. Or it may increase.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The story so far. (From what I can remember so better check.) The Spanish had a 'colony' called the Rio de Oro which they hung on to long after everyone else had granted independence to their overseas possessions. It was a godforsaken piece of mainly desert but quite rich in phosphates territory to the south of Morocco. When they finally got round to it the UN supervised 'elections' (yeah, right) and it looked set fair (yeah, right) to be the world's latest nation, Western Sahara.

Somewhat out of the blue, the Moroccans announced it was part of ancient Morocco (yeah, right) and they sent in the troops. The locals formed the Polisario Front and made an unexpectedly good fist at resisting them. The world didn't intervene but nobody recognised Moroccan claims either. The big problem turned out to be the King of Morocco marching at the head of the army and saying, "This will be Moroccan or it will be the end of my reign as king" ... or whatever, the point being the Moroccans were committed whether they wanted to be or not. Now read on...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Basically the Polisario Front fought the Moroccans to a stand-still and all the Moroccans could do was build giant berms to keep the Western Saharans in either a) subjection or b) refugee/armed camps in Algeria on the other side of the berms. It was all completely disastrous for both sides but international politics dictated nobody was prepared to do anything about it. Broadly, the west/the right lined up behind the Moroccans (but were embarrassed about it) and the east/the left favoured Polisario (but only enough to keep them in play).

A peace-of-exhaustion was declared in the twenty-first century but neither side have really observed the provisions and nothing has really changed. Only quietened down a bit. Most Western Saharans have taken on a Palestinian-style existence in their Algerian camps. Nobody of any significance recognised the Moroccan claims until...
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 182, 183, 184 ... 299, 300, 301  Next

Jump to:  
Page 183 of 301

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in