MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Questions Of The Day (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 174, 175, 176 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Show and Tell Day at Château Boreades

M'Lady Boreades tells me that Lululemon Yoga Pants are vital to her yoga class credibility and that's why she's paying £98 a pair. She shows me a pair, I'm duly astonished.

I'd never heard of Lululemon, but the FT tells me Lululemon is worth $45.5 billion, the current stock price is $333.30 with a revenue of $3.98 billion.

In comes Mademoiselle Boreades to tell us important woke news : Lululemon is holding classes on "Resisting Capitalism". It is promoting a workshop on how to "decolonize gender" and "resist capitalism" on its social media account, and it so "matters".

My question is :
Should I resist Lululemon Capitalism by buying my yoga pants elsewhere?

£4 each in Lidl.

Does my bum look big in these Lidl pants?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

"Does my post look right in this thread?"
Mick Harper
Site Admin

If Newsnight is right (and it generally is) that the sticking point in the Brexit negotiations is state aid, then we don't have much to worry about. The EU was founded on state aid -- to French farmers (the CAP), Belgian steel-makers and German coalmines (Coal & Steel Community). Its most successful multinational industry (plane-making) is constantly bankrolled by it. There are 'national exemptions' built in to all the various treaties. Who do they think they're kidding?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It's easy to think Trump has lost his marbles holding all these rallies because everybody attending them will be dead from coronavirus come November. Yes, you understand full well that they will be impersonated by local jobbing actors turning up to vote in their place, hired by local moneybags Trump supporters and under strict instructions and yes, you will smirk to yourselves that actors are notoriously left wing and certainly won't do as they are told once in the privacy of the voting booth, but what you've forgotten is that all American actors are method actors and will have to vote for Trump because it is 'in character'.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

An interesting application of our own "Don't judge by results" dictum here https://medium.com/discourse/dont-believe-the-election-polls-look-at-the-odds-instead-3a52f3b36f1

Comparing the poll results with the Las Vegas odds is similar to our standard example: Who is the better tennis player: the No 1 seed at Wimbledon or the person who wins Wimbledon?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This worldwide furore over breaking international treaties is unbelievably bogus. Nobody would have even noticed if that Junior Tory Twat hadn't blurted it out in the Commons. The Leaving Treaty was predicated on an agreement being reached in the leaving negotiations. If agreement isn't reached, some steps or other will have to be taken which will be in technical breach of the Treaty. This is why the 'good faith' clause was included.

The dragging in of the Belfast Agreement is even more bogus. That treaty was negotiated on the assumption that southern and northern Ireland would always be in the EU. It is certain to be technically breached in some fashion or other if they aren't and there is no agreement reached in the leaving talks.

The actual fuss is about something else entirely. Both the EU and the UK are anxious to test the waters before they make their final round of concessions -- i.e. which side will blink first because of how deep the do-do they will be in if they don't. By my reckoning, it will be a five/eights to three/eights victory to the EU after all this kerfuffle, whereas it would have been the other way round if the Tory Twat had kept his trap shut.

PS That's no bad thing. Much better to have one's largest trading partner feeling beneficently triumphant than haddock quotas being upped by fifty thousand fillets. I suppose everybody realises that the UK licenses will mostly be bought by Spanish fishermen opening offices in Britain?
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Fisheries turnover =£725 million (that is million not billion) a year.

It aint an issue.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

My digibox is set to record the two prime time news progs on CNN, an hour of Andersen Cooper and an hour of Chris Cuomo. Don't worry, I mainly flick through but if it's important it will be there. I was surprised -- and to be honest, a bit irritated -- that they'd chosen to lead on the death of a supreme court judge. I know they're a nation of lawyers but even so this seemed a bit excessive. It went on a bit -- sort of David Bowie length -- but I recognised the judge was a) female and b) liberal so I cut CNN some slack on that account.

And on it went, past the half hour mark! Oh come on, it's not as if the old dear actually did anything of note on the bench. Anything whatsoever. Just reliably voted the liberal ticket. I am surpirsingly well-versed in these things ever since I got entranced by Marbury vs Madison (1803) my first year at university. That's the date of the case, I'm not that old. And on. I was beginning to feel the way Justice Ruth looked. And on until Andersen's hour was up! A full freakin' hour of primetime!

And then they proceeded to give us more bio and tributes. I assume anyway, I couldn't bear to watch a single second of any of it -- I never do for obits, I've heard it all before. For the entire hour-long Cuomo slot. Not that Cuomo was allowed to present it -- he's way too junior. It had to be Andersen Cooper ploughing on. Gordon Bennet, I was surprised they weren't blanketing the other channels with martial music. My digibox recording stopped there but maybe the Ruthathon continued. Maybe it's still going. Never will I understand a) Americans or b) news values.
Grant

I'm sure the same will happen on British tv tonight although few Britons will have heard of RBG and those who have is only because they saw the biopic. And no, she didn't look like Felicity Jones.

There has been a concerted attempt in the last decade to turn her into a liberal saint. Of course, if she had been a saint she would have resigned when Obama was in charge, thus allowing the appointment of another liberal.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Democrat senators are hoist on their red hot petards. Four years ago they supported Obama's right to appoint a Supreme Court justice at the fag end of his administration, so they are duty bound to support President Trump doing so this time.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Whoops, Newsnight made the same point after I posted this. But I had to laugh. For fifty years Newsnight has been showing what the papers say at the end of the programme. In fifty years they have never quite cracked it, but it's always fun watching them try. This time Emily started reading them out, looking up nervously from time to time to see what was happening. Cut to a view of all the newspapers lovingly lined up across a very distant studio wall. "Er... you may just be able to make out the headlines," she says as the camera starts trundling towards them, then stops. Cut back to Emily who hurriedly holds up The Times and starts reading from it while simultaneously holding it up for us to see. Her twisted neck disappears as a giant Times fills the screen, it's the one from the wall, then it moves to the side of Emily who now lowers her Times, reads it without squinting and visibly relaxes. They say it gets easier over the second fifty years, pet.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The difference between British and non-British telly news organisations grows ever wider, and not in a good sense. Partly, it is true, because of a funding gap. The BBC, ITN and Sky are noticeably light in the over-to-our-correspondent department, compared to Al-Jazeera and CNN, even though all three can summon legions for set piece occasions like general elections. But the main difference is that Britain now appears to regard 'the news' as a kind of extended disquistion on the 'ills of our time'.

It is similar to the police now being more an arm of the welfare services than crime-fighters. A sign of progress, I expect. An indication we don't live in 'interesting times' as the Chinese put it. Not that you would know if you did were you to be Chinese, so we've got a way to go yet.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
A sign of progress, I expect.

Exactly, it's a sign of other nations progressing. As you zoom forward, or want to zoom again, you want nations to have more freedom and powers. As you drop backwards you whinge, and pine for the days where it could all be sorted out at the last summit, the G8, or the UN. There is nothing more embarrassing than the UK and French hiding behind Utopian multilateralism as the Indians, the Chinese and the Brazilians all overtake.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I am sure you are right, Wiley, most remiss of us. And, I would think, terminal. Nevertheless I would rather live in a fainéant counry like Britain or France than a young thruster like China, India or Brazil.

And you are prescient! President Macron spent forty-eight minutes yesterday (they are supposed to keep it to fifteen, President Trump was content with eight) lecturing the General Assembly (of the UN not the Church of Scotland where they are allowed all day if the spirit is upon them) on the joys of the multilateral world we used to know and love. Not that the Church of Scotland believes in multilateralism. They'd burn you at the stake as good as look at you if you tried any of that nonsense.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The latest event transfixing America is the Louisville 'white cops kills black woman' trial. The Grand Jury has refused to charge the police with anything serious so Louisville is expecting riots as soon as the nine o'clock curfew starts. It's a demo before that.

It is always tricky judging from afar but in Britain when three policemen show up at one's door with a 'no knock' warrant it is ill-advised to start proceedings off by shooting one of them. To use the defence, "I thought they were just some dudes tryin to break in" is likely to get a (British) jury looking at one another and saying, "What kind of a person treats that as normal?" However Kenneth Noye, Britain's current number one crim, ran that defence successfully when killing a policeman staking out his house. "I just thought he was somebody hiding in my garden."
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 174, 175, 176 ... 299, 300, 301  Next

Jump to:  
Page 175 of 301

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in