MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Questions Of The Day (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 159, 160, 161 ... 300, 301, 302  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Well, Scotty, our rules permit people to believe in gigantic conspiracies (Question 1) but they do not permit ducking out of the really crucial Question Two. So I had better hammer the nail into your head.

It must be accepted that the chances of getting caught setting fire to 5G towers is fair-to-middling and while the arsonists themselves can be hired-for-the-job and know nothing, this cannot be said of the people who hired them. They must have known the purpose for doing it which in turn must mean they know of the conspiracy itself, however loosely. Since there is a fair-to-middling chance that the arsonists will blag on their employers, this means that an organisation that is conducting a worldwide people-altering campaign green-lighted an operation with a fair-to-middling possibility of having the whole shooting match exposed in order to ensure that people who weren't being taken seriously in the first place are taken less seriously. In England.

Unless, of course, you have a better answer to Question Two. And, I'm afraid, we must press you for one.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Mick Harper wrote:
Unless you have a better answer to Question Two.

It all comes down to who does the "exposing". By "exposed" people often mean exposed by an official source, i.e. a mainstream source. If a normal person exposes something on YouTube or Twitter it can just be dismissed as a conspiracy theory or fringe opinion. Often regardless of how strong the evidence is. So the risk of being exposed is much smaller if the mainstream media are in cahoots.

Also, there are often much more boring explanations for these media stories. For instance, the footage of the tower on fire could be three months old for all anyone watching TV or reading the paper knows, with the media just saying it's recent. No one watching will check, and if someone does their information won't get any airtime in the mainstream media so most people will never find out about it.

Again, I have no real idea about this particular story. Just an instinctive feel based on the timing. So I really have nothing to offer to back that feeling up. However, I can give many other examples of this type of thing going on. It's very common. For instance, take this story, actually retweeted by Trump.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1249462754257371137?s=20

This video of a crying nurse was shared by the mainstream media and went viral online. The tweet alone has over 9 million views. Yet it turns out that the nurse hadn't even been in work for the last year. So it's completely fraudulent. Now was she paid to put on this performance? Is she simply an attention seeker that the media have taken advantage of to push a particular agenda? I'm not sure, but the media promoted it as fact to the entire world. They are not correcting their mistake to the entire world.

And if I, or even Mr Trump, share this correction we can just be dismissed as a conspiracy theorist, even though the information is clear and well evidenced.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Scotty, never flannel a flanneller. Here's the meat-and-potatoes

Again, I have no real idea about this particular story. Just an instinctive feel based on the timing.

That's fine, that's how I operate. If something smells bad it might not be because I need a bath.

So I really have nothing to offer to back that feeling up.

That's not fine. If your nose has twitched but you can't find anything, the first thing you don't do is post it up on a website filled with anti-conspiracists who are going to kick the shit out of you. The second thing you do is junket. Remember, it was unlikely in the first place so if you can't find anything 'to back it up' then what the fuck is it doing festering in your brain?

I'll tell you why. It's because you enjoy conspiracy theories and can't bear to give them up and you suspect, quite correctly, if you ever did so for one teensy weensy conspiracy theory on the basis of "it's not only unlikely" but "there's no evidence for it" you would have to ... well, you'll see.

Now don't worry about this. Most of the people on this site cling to their liberal or conservative beliefs on the same basis. They know they shouldn't, they know it breaks at least two AEL Rules, but they do so because they can't bear to part with them. It is, they think, who they are. They are quite content to apply AE rules to things they can bear to part with just not this one and we are quite content to let them because most of them are thoroughly useful. But theoretically you should show evidence that you are fighting your addiction. Again, don't worry, we're like the Catholic Church, you can just lie about it.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Mick Harper wrote:
That's not fine. If your nose has twitched but you can't find anything, the first thing you don't do is post it up on a website filled with anti-conspiracists who are going to kick the shit out of you.

I only posted it because you goaded me into sharing my opinion.

[...] But you didn't give us your views about this new found direct action aspect. Though I did notice you worded your comment about whether it was real or false flag rather carefully.

I specifically worded it like that to avoid giving my own opinion, and to just give an overview of the community in general. Of course, when goaded I couldn't resist :)

If your nose has twitched but you can't find anything

The simple reason why I can't find anything is that I haven't looked. It's not worth my time. If I look I may find another media lie, I may not, but I already have lots of examples at my disposal. Like the one above. There's easier fruit to pick, and I already have baskets full.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Good, good. The monsignor gives you absolution.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We ask: Is our democracy functioning properly at this critical time? (Newsnight)

What a dumb question. What does she think will happen differently if Boris Johnson were up to speed? If Parliament was sitting? If the people voted daily via the internet?

Government is 99% people in grey suits giving it their best shot. It doesn't even matter what bunch of grey suits. We always get through because we've got so many mountains of accumulated assets, such vast agglomerations of infrastructure and such sophisticated governmental structures, it would take a tsunami washing over us to make the slightest difference. Yet 99% of the news is how it's all going wrong, it will never be the same again, we've never seen the like before, it will be years before...

Remember, my fellow countrymen and women, we've all got a shared second home:

There'll always be an England
While there's a country lane,
Wherever there's a cottage small
Beside a field of grain.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I don't normally read Guardian think pieces apart from our own Marina but I had to make an exception for this one because of the irresistible headline

Is this country turning into a one-party state? Andy Beckett

In order to press home his argument Andy had to extend and deepen the Fascist Junta both backwards and forwards to give it that necessary air of permanence. Thus the first five years was no longer a Con-Lib coalition and we have to take into account the five years after the present five years

the Tories are widely expected to win a fifth term whenever it comes

Now you know why they gave all that money to DeLorean. Coupla other juicettes

And now the Tories appear to be mishandling coronavirus disastrously

Call me a stickler, but you can't put 'appear' and 'disastrously' in the same sentence. Disasters are hard to miss.

In all these ways, the UK may be moving closer to becoming a one-party state, like post-war Italy or Japan

Yes, please. The most successful period in both countries' history by far and, arguably, the two most successful periods in any country's history in history.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

If, as seems at least possible, China gets fingered as having made and then inadvertently let loose the coronavirus, some interesting times are ahead. China has had an easy ride so far, at first because of sympathy, latterly because of fear, but when every country in the world has dropped millions, billions and jointly trillions because of her action, we can expect a joint démarche. What the demands will be and -- as long as it was accidental and as long as it was in a good cause -- they won't be financial, it might be a signal that 'enough is enough'.

A straw in this wind has just occurred. China claims the whole of the South China Sea as her territorial waters and while nobody takes this claim seriously, nobody has felt able to do much about it. Recently Malaysia did -- resisting her fishing boats being harassed -- and this time the US and Australian navies have turned up to point out they were inclined to take the little guy's side. Hard a port, number one.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I had that Dominic Raab round yesterday, wanting me to join in with his putsch. I was in a definite quandary because one of the features of the Boris/Donald style of government -- a fresh distraction every day -- means that even a few days without a distraction (and we've had weeks) reminds people they are really not awfully good. Mind you, Dominic Raab every day...

Anyway, he's back tomorrow so we shall see if cheekie-chappie can clamber back into the saddle as if he'd never been away. The problem with leaders and illnesses -- and why they always keep them secret if they can -- is that people are forever saying either, "Ooh, he's still looking peaky" or "He's looking well, considering." Mystique is everything. As Princess Margaret used to say in her strangulated vowels.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
The problem with leaders and illnesses -- and why they always keep them secret if they can ...

That reminds me, I haven't seen Kim Jong Un lately.

Japanese media, citing the medical team treating North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, say the failure of initial surgery has left the 36-year-old in a vegetative state. .. during a visit to the countryside earlier this month, Kim clutched his chest and fell to the ground. A doctor accompanying Kim immediately carried out CPR and took him to a nearby hospital for emergency care.

So far, standard operating procedure for an elite person.

The doctor also requested a medical team from Beijing for assistance. At the hospital, prior to the arrival of the Chinese medical team, the North Korean doctor performed cardiac surgery but there were complications due to the hereditary dictator's obesity and the doctor's anxiety.

Oops!

One can only imagine that this poor doctor's anxiety may now have moved on from the "hand-trembling operation-bodging" phase to a new phase of "whole-body trembling, urinary incontinence and involuntary bowel movements".
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It is always said that Suez was caused by Anthony Eden insisting on having the top man for his op and the poor old chap (the surgeon, I mean) felt too honoured to point out he hadn't done much at the sharp end for donkeys and botched it. Whether the Chinese sent exactly the right team is not something we will know until the 500-year rule to inspect the records is up. Those bastard Shangs, have you been reading about it?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I mostly can't bear to watch the covid news but every time I do, I witness fresh imbecilities. "Emergency fast-tracked loans to small firms," comes the trumpet announcement. "I am happy to announce that, from nine a m next Monday..." Duh? What's wrong with nine a.m. this morning? Because it hasn't been worked out yet? Yes, it has, it's just been announced. They haven't had time to print up the forms? So start printing them. Whole newspapers get printed overnight. The help lines aren't up and running? And you think they won't be overwhelmed by 9.02 am next Monday? But then comes the clincher...

Pause. Deep breath. Meaningful look round the chamber. "And they will be sent out within twenty-four hours of approval." You steaming jizzock, that's not the point at all. How long will they take to be approved? My guess will be shortly after the emergency is over. Clarice, cancel my eleven o'clock with Dominic Raab, get me the Chief of the General Staff. Better make that the German General Staff.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Is this true news?

Coronavirus in Scotland: Parents and children left to struggle after councils ban online teaching ... a number of councils in Scotland have banned state education via live video interaction. East Dunbartonshire council said: “Streaming live lessons is not recommended at this time due to safeguarding and possible equity issues.” East Renfrewshire said they were “not advocating” the approach. East Lothian and Stirling also cited safeguarding issues. Midlothian council told headteachers: “No platform is considered suitable for interactions involving young people at this time.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/coronavirus-in-scotland-parents-and-children-left-to-struggle-after-councils-ban-online-teaching-sl66vvmlf

Is this fake news?

Teachers at government schools have raised their concerns that the recent closure of their institutions will have a damaging effect on students. In particular, the nation's educators are worried that the longer the schools are closed, the more likely it is that students will begin thinking for themselves, learn life skills away from the government school system, and realize how much more they learn at home.

"We must reopen as soon as possible -- before they regain their ability to have independent thoughts," said New York 4th-grade teacher Ms. Jenny Mudd. "This is an urgent crisis. We realize we have to do our part to prevent the spread of the virus, but we must also prevent the spread of unapproved ideas. There's a balance there."

https://babylonbee.com/news/teachers-warn-parents-arent-properly-equipped-to-indoctrinate-children
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Borry, the Scottish news seems important but the Times won't let you read it without a subscription and nobody else seems to be reporting this, if true, fairly astounding development. Can you post it up in full?

(Other one most amusing ... and depressing)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Newsnight picked up the home-education story though typically with more restraint ie. more boringly. There are, I think, two strains going on here. The first is 'tall poppy syndrome'. It is better that the middle classes be not educated than they be given a better education than the working class. (Their language, I do not subscribe to the existence of these 'classes' qua classes.) A somewhat dangerous position for professional educators to adopt, I would have thought, but unavoidable given their belief that egalitarianism take precedence over all things.

Especially dangerous in view of your other quote which hinted so amusingly that all classes could easily get used to the idea that professional educators can be dispensed with in their entirety if, just once, it was realised that having one of their number actually physically present boring your socks off is unnecessary. (Not that I subscribe to the need for 'education' qua education.)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 159, 160, 161 ... 300, 301, 302  Next

Jump to:  
Page 160 of 302

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in