MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Questions Of The Day (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 300, 301, 302  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I'm trying to decide whether this is historical or not. The upper classes have always been louchely cavalier towards the 'staff' but only in certain kinds of ways. Rarely, Pritti Patel, in any demeaning way. On a historical note, when was this happening? The War Rooms were, I think, only ready in 1941 when Halifax was safely removed to Washington. I'll consult the oracle when I visit St Thomas's later today. I'm one of the porters summoned back to duty. "Keep pumping that ventilator, Michael."

PS Carting replacement oxygen cylinders to the wards was part of your job but it was disputed whether you were supposed to actually change them or not. Most porters, including me, pretended not to know how (true in my case) and 'let' the nurses do it though if I were a patient I wouldn't trust a porter with my air supply further than I could throw an oxygen cylinder. BOC, I recall, are they still in business?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Further to the PS above, a PSS if you will, and not a PPS as I used to write before Hatty pointed out that this stood for Parliamentary Private Secretary rather than 'a further postscript', certain hospitals are reporting that the demand for oxygen means that their piped supply of the stuff is in jeopardy. One said, "We can't get it past the seventh floor, the pressure is so low." It is one thing the NHS running out of swabs, it is another thing them running out of (20%) of the air that we breathe. As the Hollies used to sing. Even so I should like to hear more of this latest way of circumventing the tyranny of the porters.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

One day they'll write a musical about that.

Oh Mr Porter, what shall we do?
I wanted oxygen to Patients on Floor Seven,
But it ended-up in Two.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

One illuminating sidenote. It is being reported that many East End London hospitals are running short of ventilators because they are all going to the Docklands Nightingale -- and not being used there. This reinforces the idea that every year the NHS has a make-do and mend attitude to waves of 'minor' infectious diseases. As every hospital system going back to Hippocrates has to. You make pragmatic (but unannounced) decisions about who gets what treatment depending on demand at the time.

You can't absolutely guarantee to save everyone unless you have seventy million ventilators. That is not as far-fetched as you might think. Everyone in Britain had a gas mask in 1939.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
So the next question is, is it Momento Mori? The end of the model.

Momentum has splintered. "Forward momentum" is a new grouping. These type of splinterings are presented as matters of leftist ideology, but Wiley reckons it is the end of Jeremy Corbyn that has created the split. Lefties dont believe in personality cults, preferring to analyse through the prism of class struggle. Maybe that is why the Left are so prone to fall for this sort of hero worship.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Lefties dont believe in personality cults

They just belong to them. Surely the operable point is the advanced age of Jon Lansman?
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Momentum has splintered. "Forward momentum" is a new grouping.

In a Newtonian universe, should the other part be called "Backward Momentum". Or is that too much like equal and opposite reactionary?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have an apology to make. The first since 1994. For some reason I had supposed that Jon Lansman was a figure from my far-off youth in the nineteen-sixties. It turns out he was merely like figures from my far-off youth. Lansman the man is a figure of the nineteen seventies and eighties. Since these old goats feed on the elixir of young female followers' desire to get as close to the truth as possible, they always live to a ripe old age and we shall have Momentum (or the Marxist-Lansmanist fraktion of Momentum, if Wiley is right) for many years to come.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This destruction of 5G towers because they are 'spreading the coronavirus' is exceptionally interesting for us. One of the more remarkable things about conspiracy theories is how little harm they do in the real world. Conspiracy theorists are armchair warriors which is a great relief because their numbers and cohesiveness (and yes, intelligence) would make them a formidable force were they ever to get off their arses and on to their BMX's.

The rarity of such actions -- for instance the bloke who shot up the pizza parlour at the centre of Pizzagate -- would seem to indicate that even if they did, they would sure to be lone nutters. In the west. In the east (and south) rumours can spread and mayhem ensues -- Muslims taking cows for slaughter in India and that kind of thing -- but they are not the same as conspiracy theories. How are they different? They are political for one thing. An excuse for mayhem. Conspiracy theorists have the reputation of being right-wing but I think that is more a case of anti-conspiracists being left-wing. I, for instance, am characterised as a right-wing conspiracy theory peddlar but never a left-wing one, even though it seems equally likely from where I sit, in my armchair. I might end up as a hero to academics if I ever was, a sobering thought. Possibly a creative one...

But now we have some multiply direct action. In Holland as well as Britain according to my statutory forty-five seconds researching the subject. Elsewhere? Our own right-wing conspiracy nut-jobs will keep us posted. Unless they are out blowing up 5G towers, which brings us to the point. Why? What's changed? I wanna know. Also how did the connection get dreamt up in the first place? There must be some logic to it, there always is.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Mick Harper wrote:
This destruction of 5G towers because they are 'spreading the coronavirus' is exceptionally interesting for us. One of the more remarkable things about conspiracy theories is how little harm they do in the real world.

It's interesting that you should put it this way as in the conspiracy world both the destruction of the 5G towers and "the bloke who shot up the pizza parlour" are themselves thought to be conspiracies. The idea being that they were staged to discredit conspiracy theorists. I can't offer any proof that this is in fact the case, but that's the general feeling in conspiracy circles.

Also how did the connection get dreamt up in the first place? There must be some logic to it, there always is.

The 5G issue in general has been a big one in conspiracy circles for quite a while. There are three main trains of thought (which often overlap to varying degrees).

1) That 5G is bad for human health and governments/telecom companies simply don't care. Like with cigarettes (or fears about mobile phone radiation in general).

2) That 5G is purposely bad, and that it can/will be used to effectively microwave to death dissidents and other undesirable people.

3) That 5G is being brought in so that governments have all the extra bandwidth needed for their mass surveillance grid / internet of things.

This then intersects with coronavirus to form two other strands of thinking.

The first is the idea that while the governments have us all locked down they're sneakily putting all the 5G towers into place. (Conspiracy theorists have been going around filming workmen supposedly putting 5G towers up during the lock down and asking other people to go out and do the same).

The second idea is that 5G is actually causing the virus itself. The supposed logic behind this is that the wavelengths used in 5G are small enough to penetrate human bodily cells (this idea is often a feature of main theories 1 and 2). In this case it's particularly red blood cells. Inhibiting the body's ability to get oxygen. Hence why breathing difficultly is such a major feature of coronavirus.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Thanks, Scottie, everything bar the last paragraph is unsurprising/familiar but all of it was interesting/informative. The last para is the bit that got past the tin foil hat I wear whenever I am looking at a computer screen. But you didn't give us your views about this new found direct action aspect. Though I did notice you worded your comment about whether it was real or false flag rather carefully.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

As to the theory itself, we have clearly reached the stage where there are so many people looking for conspiracies that any important event is certain to have its own conspiracy theory. I suppose that they are themselves subject to peer review, in this case presumably a form of Gresham's Law in which the more seductive theory drives out the less seductive ones, until there is one conspiracy theory to rule them all.

But surely it then becomes something of a cachet to believe in one of the rarer ones. I can't see what satisfaction is derived from just going along with the herd. Come on, AEists, can't we come up with something better than microwaves thinning the blood? Blimey, that's been around since they started putting up electricity pylons. Conspiracy theory morons are just as deserving of our help as academic cretins.
N R Scott

Mick Harper wrote:
But you didn't give us your views about this new found direct action aspect. Though I did notice you worded your comment about whether it was real or false flag rather carefully.

My personal honest opinion is that the burning of the 5G mast was a staged event of some description. Used to build a straw man so the mainstream media can attack and censor coronavirus conspiracies without having to allude to the actual major theory doing the rounds at the moment. Namely that the Covid panic has been artificially created by the strategic application of testing. (They're basically testing everyone that is dying / hospitalised due to standard causes. However, because the tests give so many false positives, and also because the tests can't distinguish between this coronavirus and all the other coronaviruses (which are basically just the common cold) they're now finding it everywhere.)

They can't discuss this idea in the mainstream though as it's so boring and plausible people might actually start looking into it. So they need a David Icke type crazy theory to stand in its stead.

Again though, I have no actual evidence whatsoever that the 5G tower was a staged or fake event, and I've learnt my lesson about making claims I can't back up. Especially here lol. So it's just my instinctive feeling. Whoever set the mast on fire though it's having the desired effect as whenever I try to mention to people how flawed the testing is I get the response "Oh, you must be one of these people that believe 5G is causing the virus."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

whenever I try to mention to people how flawed the testing is I get the response "Oh, you must be one of these people that believe 5G is causing the virus."

If so, then the burning of the tower absolutely makes sense because nobody would know of the '5G is causing the virus' theory otherwise. It would be just another conspiracy theory doing the internal rounds of conspiracy theory aficionados. But, as I'm sure you suspected and still bravely posted, you are not out of the woods yet. These are the two immediate questions you will have to answer since you subscribe to the 'staged event' sub-theory but acknowledge there is no actual evidence for it

1. Who are the people responsible for the virus?
2. How can they also be the people who would burn a 5G tower in Lancashire to prevent people who have guessed the truth from being taken seriously?
N R Scott

Mick Harper wrote:
1. Who are the people responsible for the virus?
2. How can they also be the people who would burn a 5G tower in Lancashire to prevent people who have guessed the truth from being taken seriously?

I have no answer sadly. Other than the usual cry of "very powerful rich people". It quite literally requires a huge conspiracy, so I can't really avoid the label of conspiracy theorist unfortunately.

I would suspect though that a) whoever they are they're in league with the World Health Organisation, and that b) they're people that don't like Trump very much. As they're crashing the US economy in an election year and using the "stay at home" crisis to push for postal voting which massively favours the Democrats.

Also I would suspect that Trump agrees with me somewhat as he refused the WHO test kits and has now cut its funding. Like me he also says the media is fake. Though he seems to prefer to use the term "the invisible enemy". Maybe because very powerful rich people would include himself.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 300, 301, 302  Next

Jump to:  
Page 159 of 302

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in