MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Questions Of The Day (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

In none of the recent investigations into Team Trump have folks been found guilty of what the politicians/press accused, ie a wider conspiracy.

Still...Manafort, Cohen, Gates, Papadopoulos, Flynn all mysteriously get caught on process/returns type crimes.

There is a pattern here. That is not a coincidence is it?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

We won't know until you tell us what the pattern you have uncovered actually is. They incidentally found the commission of other crimes, but that is normal in all criminal investigations. TIC is what we often call it over here.

PS Just to be technical, a number of people have 'so far' been found guilty of conspiracy, some being what the politicans/press accused them of, most not. We do not know what the Muller investigation will say on the subject. So far.
Wile E. Coyote

Why isn't calling for a "peoples' (sic) vote" considered populist?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

There is at least one other candidate as the Huawei leaker from the National Security Council and that is the Americans. They strenuously opposed the decision and, thanks to the leak, it has been stopped in its tracks. Whether they formally have a seat round the NSC table is immaterial -- they listen in on everything anyway. Which is why we should be going with Huawei in the first place.

I'm signed up with Kaspersky for the same reason. Your secrets are always safer with secretive dictator states. Now to get some secrets.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

You'll have to tell me what you don't know before I can tell you whether it's a secret.

Like -
Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has been sacked from the British government after apparently leaking the news that Blighty isn’t completely banning Huawei from its 5G networks.

However, (listen carefully, I shall say this only once) I *can* tell you some things that aren't a secret. Just not much talked about in all the media flak. I'm sure everyone in every pub in Notting Hill already knows this, but just in case it's not already common-enough knowledge...

We (in the West) consider Huawei a "security risk" because it doesn't have the NSA-approved backdoors that Cisco and other makes do have. Many (in the West) just don't believe Huawei doesn't have some kind of backdoor, because that's what they would do if they were running the show (in the East).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Isn't that what I just said?
Wile E. Coyote

Big mistake by folks of Peterborough recalling their MP. They knew where they stood with Fiona. Still, she is entitled to stand again, so she might be voted in, on say a platform of opposing speed limits.

Always beware of the honest MP.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
There is at least one other candidate as the Huawei leaker from the National Security Council and that is the Americans.

And it's looking more likely now.

Gavin Williamson's goodbye letter:

Dear Prime Minister,

It has been a great privilege to serve as Defence Secretary and Chief Whip in your Government. Every day I have seen the extraordinary work of the men and women of our armed forces, who go to incredible lengths to defend our country.

I am sorry that you feel recent leaks from the National Security Council originated in my Department. I emphatically believe this was not the case. I strenuously deny that I was in any way involved in this leak and I am confident that a thorough and formal inquiry would have vindicated my position.

I have always trusted my civil servants, military advisers and staff. I believe the assurances they have given me.

I appreciate you offering me the option to resign, but to resign would have been to accept that I, my civil servants, my military advisers or my staff were responsible: this was not the case.
(etc)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It's looking a whole lot less likely now

Every day I have seen the extraordinary work of the men and women of our armed forces, who go to incredible lengths to defend our country.

No they don't. They have been notably pathetic in all recent military theatres.

I am sorry that you feel recent leaks from the National Security Council originated in my Department. I emphatically believe this was not the case.

Well, you shouldn't. Even if you didn't do it yourself you know perfectly well there are dozens of people in the MoD who have motive, means and opportunity to have done it.

I strenuously deny that I was in any way involved in this leak and I am confident that a thorough and formal inquiry would have vindicated my position.

You know perfectly well that formal inquiries can do no such thing.

I have always trusted my civil servants, military advisers and staff. I believe the assurances they have given me.

Then you're such a dozy pillock we're well rid of you.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Great wickedness on the part of Sky News in their election coverage. Round the party spokespersons table they had put a Corbynista enthusiast side by side with a silky smooth mainstream (as was) Labour bloke. You all know the format: Good result/we're on our way! Bad result/it's too early to draw definite conclusions. But of course for Labour, a bad result is a good result for mainstream Labour, only bad for Corbynistas.

Since the results were constantly bad for Labour (indeed cataclysmically bad) this put the Corbynista in an unusually severe pickle because his 'colleague' was chortling away, along with the opponents on the other side of the table. Thus our Corbynista was in the middle of a soaring peroration about the unhelpful prevalence of protests votes in mid-terms when the other Labour bloke pointed out that hitherto in our nation's history protest votes had been directed at governments not oppositions. Collapse of studio participants into hysterics.

Finally our hapless Leftie was reduced to alternating between "Yes, a little disappointing but we did well in Basildon" and "Yes, a little disappointing but we must wait for Trafford." The umpteenth reiteration of this last got him some unprecedentedly overt (in my experience) mockery from the strictly impartial anchor. I know one shouldn't want one's country to be badly governed but it does make for great television.
Boreades

Sorry, we can't get Sky News here in deepest east West Country.

Is it a remake of It's a Knockout (Jeux Sans Frontières)? Who's playing Stuart Hall and Eddie Waring? Did they play their joker?

Do tell.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

They just won Trafford! We're on our way.
Grant

I voted yesterday (the dog needed a walk).
I voted Labour and Green. Now I hate Labour and I hate the Green party, but I hate the Tories even more.

What does this tell us about all the political analysis we will see on the TV news tonight? All I know is that my dog had a good walk - they even let him in the church hall.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
They just won Trafford!

Old Trafford?

Mick Harper wrote:
We're on our way.

To Wembley?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

AE says you should never judge by results. Here's why. The results show patchy wins and losses so the pundits keep saying, "It's a mixed bag for both main parties." It isn't. These seats were last fought on the day the Cameron Tories decisively won a general election. I want that to sink in. In local terms this left the Tories with about 5000 seats and Labour 3000 seats. Then came four years of the worst government in living memory, the Tories riven from top to bottom and utterly incapable of governing the country. They'll soon be on their third prime minister. I want that to sink in too.

2019 election results: basically no change from 2015. If it was a general election the Tories would either win it or be the largest party.

In other words this is the most miraculous Tory victory and the most disastrous Labour defeat in the whole history of Tory/Labour politics. Would you call that 'a mixed bag'? I wouldn't feed it to Grant's dog. Presumably it was Grant that voted Labour and the dog that voted Green but I don't know how they do these things up there. We have driverless ballot boxes that come to you so we don't take the dog out to vote any more. Nor, thanks to the Vegan backlash, are they allowed a postal vote.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 299, 300, 301  Next

Jump to:  
Page 124 of 301

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in