MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Questions Of The Day (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 300, 301, 302  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Re this business about internet giants hoovering up our data and synthesising it. I have just received this (in all its punctuational illiteracy) from Amazon:

A fellow customer answered your question,
"Are costa pods compatible with morphy richards accents machine?"
alan beacham answered:
"Yes"

I had this morning ordered a coffee machine from Amazon. I had, a few months ago, googled sites about pod compatibilities. I was not aware of either Costa pods or Morphy Richards 'Accents' machines and I had asked no question of anyone about anything. Pretty impressive in a frightening sort of way.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

The answer was directed at Nathan Carmody (I have personality issues when logging onto Amazon). Email replies to 'Nathan Carmody' get sent to Mick's address as well thanks to my son's mastery of internet technology. He's just given me a coffee machine which I've not even used but the internet is spreading the word.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

When I want you spoiling my conspiracy theories I will let you know.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Robert Fisk's article on the alleged chemical attack was brought to our attention in both national TV news and the national press by a Labour MP, Chris Williamson.

Last week Marina Hyde, a Guardian journalist, more or less dubbed Williamson a traitor to Britain

It should certainly be more than enough for Labour’s Chris Williamson to take his Lord Hawski-Hawski act on Russian TV again. Don’t worry if you missed the Derby North MP’s sombre-suited explanation that the Skripal story was the British government’s “way of diverting attention from their own difficulties over Brexit and economic policy”. It’ll be played on a grateful loop across Russian state media for days – as a way of diverting attention from their own difficulties, funnily enough.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/06/boris-johnson-post-truth-post-shame-novichok

Very witty to be sure but does appearing on RT, a Russian TV channel in the UK, constitute an act of treason (Alex Salmond did it too)? But it's quite worrying that Chris Williamson presented Fisk's nuanced report as a negative proof -- "The victims were suffering from hypoxia rather than gas poisoning", he assured us.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Actually it is treason. Not appearing on RT but for what he said on it, which by any measure would be considered giving aid and comfort to the enemies of the Crown in a time of war. This would be irrespective of whether what he is saying is true or not.

One of the problems in this kind of thing is that the Russian populace would not know that in practice being a Labour MP for Derby North means half-a-dozen hard case conspirators, who share his opinions, getting him selected in a safe seat. Or maybe they would since their own MP's are chosen this way.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Windrush Generation goes from strength to strength. By this morning they were, according to Robert Peston no less, the people who re-built Britain after the war. I don't suppose anybody is interested but I might as well give the true history.

There have always been tiny 'Lascar' populations around our major ports -- they have always been insignificant both in terms of contributions to and as problems for the country as a whole. All Commonwealth citizens had a right to live and work in the 'mother country' but remarkably few ever availed themselves of the right (except Australians and they mostly went home again). In the mid-1950's London Transport began recruiting bus conductors in the Caribbean and this led to a significant change as word got back about the wider opportunities in Britain (rich country, poor people). This pretty much immediately led to the first race riots (starting with Notting Hill, 1958) and other manifestations of native discontent. Hence over the next ten years Commonwealth citizens lost the right to live or work in Britain (except Australians via the infamous 'patrial' clause, but even that soon went). End of story.

One hopes the individuals who have suffered are recompensed, one hopes the individuals responsible for the suffering will be punished, one hopes we can all move on to more important matters.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

I struggle to see how this Windrush fiasco happened.

Wiley reckons that it's pretty difficult to conduct disclosure and barring checks without ID, or for that matter to claim any entitlement to housing, benefits, medical services, open a bank account, travel abroad, in fact do almost everything, without papers. In fact you now seem to need at least 2 or three types.

Clearly when you go for your job as a Nursery Assistant, (Charity overseas aid worker!) they will advise you that you need ID and references...and they will get you DB checked (err, Oxfam references appear not to be worth much). Still it is not going to be enough for employers bureaucrats to see the Person as Ms Rudd says..... ie folks will be pilloried for employing those quoting the Windrush Exception....when the next abuse scandal comes along.

I get the fact that a few folks can lose ID, but surely the Home Office folks should have a previous record.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

My guess is that we are dealing with marginal people though it is politically incorrect to describe them so. However the good news (from the political correctness perspective) is that this whole schemozzle has reminded us that West Indians are very much more British than later immigrants have turned out to be.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Not that that is necessarily good news given the way the British have turned out. Idle scumbags living on handouts the lot of them. But enough about me.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

I take it there's no need for me to look at the newspaper? Indeed, I though not. I am shocked by this realisation. Shocked and appalled.

Amber Rudd on Windrush disclosures? (House of Commons, 2018)?

No, it was Mrs Wilberforce on her tenants (The Ladykillers, 1955)

Should have had Dixon of Dock Green on the case.
Boreades

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
I struggle to see how this Windrush fiasco happened.

It's a tale of pure and utter muppetry. Of a classic kind.

The government's official line has been that to retain the data would have breached the 1998 Data Protection Act and the fourth and fifth principles of the Information Commissioner's Office.

Well, they would say that wouldn't they?

The Guardian quotes an unnamed former employee who claims the decision to destroy the records was taken in 2010, when the Home Office's Whitgift Centre in Croydon was closed and staff moved to another site.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/17/home-office-destroyed-windrush-landing-cards-says-ex-staffer

The former employee (who has asked for his name not to be printed) said it was decided in 2010 to destroy the disembarkation cards, which dated back to the 1950s and 60s, when the Home Office’s Whitgift Centre in Croydon was closed and the staff were moved to another site. Employees in his department told their managers it was a bad idea, because these papers were often the last remaining record of a person’s arrival date, in the event of uncertainty or lost documents. The files were destroyed in October that year, when Theresa May was home secretary.

You know what it's like when you're moving house. Deadlines, pressures, got to get rid of old rubbish. We don't need these old brown cards anymore do we? What could possibly go wrong?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I thought we'd put an end to saloon bar talk. Please remember you are entitled to hold any opinion you like but you are not allowed to trot it out in this forum if it's the same as everybody else's.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
I thought we'd put an end to saloon bar talk.

Sorry, it's just you who thought you'd put an end to saloon bar talk.

Despite that, the peasants are still revolting. Or disgusting enough to have an opinion that you didn't tell them to think.

Anyway, it's time you bought a round of drinks. Mine's a pint of Ratler.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Nobody's above the law. Even if it's my law.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
Nobody's above the law. Even if it's my law.

And so it came to pass.

King Harpo ascended into the solitude of his ivory tower echo chamber. Where the only voice he heard was the echo of his own voice that pleased him so much. And there were no other voices. He had forsworn the advice of others he deemed less worthy than himself. And the others who could advise him had grown weary of his egotistical, pompous and self-righteous noises.

He was alone, completely alone. The biggest fish in a pond only big enough for one fish.

The others, who could have advised him, and could even have been his friends, quietly closed the door and sadly walked away, saying :

Farewell Harpo.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 300, 301, 302  Next

Jump to:  
Page 95 of 302

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in