MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New Idea on Megaliths (Megalithic)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

These are questions you should be asking orthodoxy, Hatty. They take it as axiomatic that water levels are higher during interglacials but that is by no means true. Since iced- up sea melting doesn't raise sea-levels (ice displaces the same as water), it all depends on how much ice there is on land. But pre-historians are careful not to get together with glaciologists to do the sums -- for reasons presumably of careful ignoral.
Tatjana

In: exiled in Germany

Now it seems we've come to a dead end with our brand new theory.
The starting point of the theory was to try to correlate the Irish Myths of invasions, as written down in the Book of Invasions, especially the Tuatha de Dannan, with the megalithic structures known as Passage Tombs, such as the Boyne complex, Forknocks and many others.

We - my partner in this did most of the mapping and research, as I'm a bit eaten up by work presently - mapped a lot of Passage Tombs with their alignments, ortho-date of construction and floorplans, fixed them in space by the aid of Google Earth and found quite right that they do point to each other in a certain way. If you draw lines between them, you sort of get a criss-cross pattern all over Ireland and Britain (incl Orkney).

Now in the myths is stated that the Tuatha did a lot of travelling all over Europe before they came back "from four cities in the North, where they had learned magic". Forget the magic for a moment, let's see what "North" could mean. North of Ireland is Shetland and the Orkneys and the Scandinavia. And yes, there are Passage Tombs there as well. So we would have to prove if the oldest Irish structures point that way back to their point of origin, where the ancestors came from and where the dead might return...so to speak - which would be north-east. Lo and behold, many old Irish MLs are aligned north-east. Fine so far. But what about those which aren't aligned NE? Where do they point to? According to theory, they point to the predecessor, so if Newgrange for instance ponts SE, we would have to look for a structure that is older in that direction.

And then it became somewhat complicated : what about structures over the water, in Britain, in Brittany, in Spain and Portugal? And what about tombs that are similarily built - like wedge/ court tombs?

Now I've to say that the research has come to a stop due to - how shall I say - serious doubts on my part as to the character of my partner-in-research.... bit difficult.

I'm asking you guys if you deem the pursuit of that direction of research worthy of the tremendous work it would require to do it on my own - especially if I have some doubts now that it would really be possible to prove by any academic standards (I'm still an archaeologist) - or if you think it's a dead end, really.

Your opinions would help me in making a decision as to whether to go on alone or drop the matter.

In: Toronto

In my experience, truly valuable insights come in an instant and their truth is immediately self-evident. It then takes years of research to fill in the details.

This investigation you describe is going in the reverse direction.

Now, that often yields good results -- but seldom revolutionary findings.
Tatjana

Thanks, Ish. What you wrote is more or less what I feel in my bones as well. I had a feeling from the beginning, that something was not quite right with that theory, but my rational self said: "why not? it's a new approach, so let's try.."

I know: it felt too artificial, too far-fetched for my taste... but then again: many a good result in every corner of science started out as a far-fetched theory...

Anyhoo, I always went around the right bend when I followed my guts :-))
Site Admin

I agree with Ish. If you're having doubts it's generally a sign that you're off the track simply because being on the track is such a rush. And even going in the right direction is usually fuller of signs than what you are reporting.

Put it behind your ear for later. It won't be wasted!
Tatjana

Thanks, Mick. You're right. I've slept a few nights over it and my doubts became even stronger. So I'll keep all the notes and maps and whatnot and store them on the hard-to-reach-shelf.

Thanks both for your input.

In: finity and beyond

Tuatha De Danann is translated as "the people of the goddess Danu," and as "men of science who were gods" - Danann meaning knowledge
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Boreades wrote:
Danann meaning knowledge

Danann seems to have a connection with dun. Knowledge could be related to knowle or knoll?

It sounds like Irish myth-makers assume their megalithic constructions were built by invaders. At least English giants are home-grown for the most part.
Tilo Rebar

In: Sussex

I think GIANT is just a metaphor for those individuals/groups who do large scale works beyond the understanding of the common man, and which usually have a major impact on society.

Perhaps not surprising these alien projects were associated with various folk myths which were devised to try to rationalise what had happened. The Irish alien invasion myths and the English giant myths are just two sides of the same fake coin.

We still have folk myths around today, like the invention of dark matter/energy to explain away the abject failure of the works of those giants of physics Newton and Einstein, regarding a coherent theory of gravity that can make accurate predictions at all size scales.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Tilo - quite right. Just as Brunel (for one) is described as a Giant of Victorian Engineering.
e.g.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/6190236/Brunel-Locke-and-Stephenson-the-engineering-giants-who-shaped-our-world.html

and
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/men-of-iron/episode-guide

The final part of the series charting a whole generation of great Victorian engineers looks at one man who emerged as the true giant among them - Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

We all know what they mean, and nobody means he was literally a giant person, do they?
berniegreen

Hello folks, it has been a long time since I have participated here. I return in order to recommend a new book to all who are seriously interested in this topic.
It is The Memory Code by Lynne Kelly.

If you are unable to purchase or borrow it, I will post a summary of her principal thesis.

She provides a highly plausible explanation that links European Neolithic structures, the Mayan pyramids, the Pueblo Great Houses, the Nascar desert pictures, the Easter Island statues, North American Indian "medicine", African tribal secret societies, Australian Aboriginal songlines and much more..

I have almost finished reading it myself and I could think of no other group of people who would likely be as interested in the topic but your good selves, So, read and enjoy.
Regards from OZ
Send private message Send e-mail
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Hello Bernie, we have missed you. Zipping through all the usual places this book looks more than ordinarily interesting. However it is not published here in Britain until next year (Atlantic Books) and the Amazon version is an e-book..
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Here's one I've never heard before. The circles are to concentrate lightning (or I suppose dissipate it qua lightnng rods). The claims here are suitably restrained but nonetheless interesting. https://www.heritagedaily.com/2020/03/ancient-secret-of-lightning-strikes-at-stone-circles-revealed/126571
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is quite interesting for Azteco-Incan buffs and people who don't mind pounding music tracks getting in the way of a good story. Why do they do it? Perhaps I'm not their target audience. https://youtu.be/hubBrE4MAos
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in