MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Whose fault is it? (Geophysics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Request from Mick asking the group to find out about the salinity of the Arctic Ocean, i.e. is it the same as other seas (he's unable to access the internet though should be back online by Friday).
Hatty
Site Admin

Wiki says The Arctic Ocean's temperature and salinity vary seasonally as the ice cover melts and freezes;[3] its salinity is the lowest on average of the five major oceans, due to low evaporation, heavy freshwater inflow from rivers and streams, and limited connection and outflow to surrounding oceanic waters with higher salinities.

Other sources say the Arctic's salinity is "abnormally low" mainly due to run-off, a disproportionate amount (e.g. from Asia) of which flows into the Arctic. The uppper, cold levels are low in salinity in contrast to the warmer and more saline water beneath.
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

So... the ocean is salty because it's washed in off the land... but where the biggest rivers bathe the biggest land, the saltiness is least...

Oh sorry, I thought that sounded wrong because it was about Earth. Clearly they're talking about another planet with an Arctic Ocean that, having high inflow but low evaporation and outflow, towers above the other oceans.
Hatty
Site Admin

What struck me as odd is that the upper levels are low in salinity but the sea water beneath has higher than normal salinity (something along the lines of density due to the salinity levels making them sink?) so if you average it out so to speak the salinity would correspond to the rest of the world's oceans presumably.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Thanks, poppets, just what I wanted to hear. As you know the whole of geomorphology relies on the salinity of the Arctic Ocean ensuring that the water is always at the cusp of freezing and not freezing.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Now I've got another problem. I need to know whether the Snake River drainage area abuts with the Colorado drainage area. I've searched and I've searched but not being able to find it is not necessarily proof that it doesn't exist. Anybody got any ideas... or even yer actual knowledge?
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

I've searched and I've searched

For what? "Snake river drainage basin" and "Colorado river drainage basin" give results like these in a snap:

Looks like they do meet in Wyoming.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

No, I got these maps too or ones very like them. But I couldn't decide whether they do meet in Wyoming (or Montana). The problem (as some of you no doubt remember) is to discover whether there is or is not a Continental Divide in the USA.

Because it is an Article of Faith that there is, the divide is just drawn continuously round the eastern edges of the Snake and Colorado basins. However if they do not meet, that is if there is an area of inland drainage in between (as there is in Nevada and Utah) then there is no longer a Continental Divide.

The fact that it is touch-and-go may itself be significant even if they do in fact touch.

PS What's the position in Canada ie is it an Article of Faith and is it true?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Late Breaking News. I just noticed Lake Powell on your second map, Dan, and it appears to be Inland Drainage ie rivers flow into it but not out of it. This would definitely separate Snake and Colorado and finish off a Continental Divide.

But on further checking, I discover this is a man-made lake! What was there before? Have the Americans destroyed their own Continental Divide? The mystery, as usual, thickens to the consistency of porridge. .
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I heard a most important sentence today (from an Attenborough prog so it must be true):
"Salt water, unlike fresh water, does not dissolve limestone."
I trust some of you will appreciate the significance of this.
Pulp History

In: Wales

Are you referring to some alban edifices of Dubris?
Site Admin

I expect so. Though I might be more definite if I knew what the hell you were talking about.
Pulp History

In: Wales

The White cliffs of Dover.

In: Ramsbottom

Pulp History wrote:
The White cliffs of Dover?

Isn't that simply erosion...rather than dissolution?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes but if you happen to believe that the sacred shape of Britain can only be achieved by creating the English Channel then you can't rely on erosion to do the job. But by using fresh water you'd get there in no time (measuring things by Megalithic time of course).

PS Isn't there some sort of distinction to be made between limestone and chalk?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 3

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in