MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Global Warming (Geophysics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

It is true that, for instance, Britain has 'more trees than at any time since the Neolithic' (or whatever the phrase is) but we don't know whether natural forests (whatever that means in Britain) has the same effect as "densely managed woods, which take up a lot less room".
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

I've seen some utterly bonkers articles on Climate Change. But this one might be the most utterly, utterly, utterly bonkers yet!

"Did climate change drive the Syrian uprising?"

http://news.sciencemag.org/climate/2015/03/did-climate-change-drive-syrian-uprising

A whole page without a single mention of oil and gas economic war, ISIS, weapons provided by US, EU, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Iraq, Iran, Russia and China, etc.

The shortage of water mentioned in the article might just have something to do with the 27-billion-cubic-meter-capacity Ataturk Dam opened on the Euphrates river in Turkey in 1990, it reduced the mighty waterway to a trickle for one month.
Boreades

Mark Steyn’s new book "A Disgrace To The Profession" is shooting up the Amazon sales chart, but folks in the UK can't get a copy yet.

Anyone outside the UK read it yet?
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Just came across a climatologist at Columbia University who has debunked the myth of the Gulf Stream's effect on the European climate aka 'The Gulf Stream European Climate Myth'

The panic is based on a long held belief of the British, other Europeans, Americans and, indeed, much of the world's population that the northward heat transport by the Gulf Stream is the reason why western Europe enjoys a mild climate, much milder than, say, that of eastern North America. This idea was actually originated by an American military man, Matthew Fontaine Maury, in the mid nineteenth century and has stuck since despite the absence of proof.

We now know this is a myth, the climatological equivalent of an urban legend. In a detailed study published in the Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society in 2002, we demonstrated the limited role that ocean heat transport plays in determining regional climates around the Atlantic Ocean.

http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div/ocp/gs/

First I'd heard of this but if the Gulf Stream has no 'real' effect on regional temperatures, presumably other currents like Humboldt can be seen as equally irrelevant for, say, Chile. If it's correct.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Great find.

I think there is something here but it may require more expertise than I possess to interpret and make use of this information.
Boreades

M'Lady Boreades is chucking her toys out the pram again. It's about another catering contract she's missed out on.

This time, it's the UN climate summit in Paris. Not mentioned at all by the BBC is where in Paris it's being held. FYI, it's at the Le Bourget conference centre, otherwise known as the Le Bourget airport, which is also the home of the biannual Paris Air Show.

As is entirely befitting the 40,000 VIP diplomats, politicians, activists, and journalists expected to attend the UN climate summit, Paris Le Bourget is the biggest private jet hub in Europe. This means the VIPs can clock-up their air miles without having to rub shoulders with the hoi-poloi, or having to travel cattle-class, or endure those ghastly queues and tedious security checks at normal airports.

Equipped with more private terminals (eight) than anywhere else in the world, it caters to the “ultra high net worth traveller”. Patrons who aren’t met by chauffeured limousines can drive away in Porsche rental cars.

It is also particularly popular with those flying by private aviation with young children, as it offers a small play area. Perfect for Hollywood celebrities flying in with their families to tell the public they shouldn't be flying long distances by air.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Mark Steyn’s new book "A Disgrace To The Profession" is shooting up the Amazon sales chart, but folks in the UK can't get a copy yet. Anyone outside the UK read it yet?

He rubbished my hero, Robert Fisk. Boo.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

It is certain he's the same Mark Steyn? A seasoned reporter like Fisk crossing swords with a Canadian humorist sounds unlikely even if this Steyn fancies himself as a 'serious' writer.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Steyn is the best writer in modern journalism.
Boreades

The US Senate Committee took Mark Steyn seriously enough to invite him to their hearings.

They might be regretting that now: "Mark Steyn rebukes democrats in climate hearing: 'You're effectively enforcing a state ideology' "

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTM13sI2BFQ
Boreades

A note received today from colleagues in the Data Auditing industry has pointed out the hilarity of the "Last Chance Saloon" brigade trying to frighten the children again.

e.g. a roll-call of headlines from previous bun-fests.

Bonn 2001: "A Global Warming Treaty’s Last Chance. "

Montreal 2005 : "With time running out for the global climate, your meeting in Montreal represents a last chance for action."

Bali 2007 : "World leaders will converge on Bali today for the start of negotiations which experts say could be the last chance to save the Earth from catastrophic climate change."

Poznan Poland, 2008 : “This round of negotiations is likely to be our last chance as a species to deal with the problem.”

Copenhagen 2009 : "It is now 12 years since Kyoto was created. This makes Copenhagen the world’s last chance to stop climate change before it passes the point of no return,"

Cancun 2010 : Jairem Ramesh, the Indian environment minister, sees it as the “last chance” for climate change talks to succeed.

Durban 2011 :Rev. Dr. Olav Fyske Tveit, who leads the World Council of Churches, says the upcoming climate conference in South Africa is mankind’s ‘last opportunity’ to address climate change.

Doha 2012 : "Tomorrow: the earth’s last chance with climate change? "

Warsaw 2013 : Is the Warsaw Climate Change Conference a last-chance summit? ... describing the next two years as “a critical period to act faster on climate.”

Lima 2014 : "Last chance: Change needed for climate negotiations in Lima 2014. "

Paris 2015 : The UN meeting in December is “the last chance” to avert dangerous climate change, according to the Earth League.

And of course, now the Pope is an expert on Climate Change as well. Still, it's good to note the gradual transition from "scientists" to religious leaders. As confirmation (as if such was required) that it is now an Act Of Faith.
Boreades

As we don't have an AEL Farming Forum, this will have to do.

An acquaintance who writes for Farmers Weekly has written:

I’m very cross to have missed out on the latest climate change conference. I could have done with a couple of weeks in Paris. If I’d claimed to be representing Farmers Weekly, I reckon I could have wangled VIP status and flown in by private jet to Le Bourget, and joined the other 40,000 delegates, all of them seemingly unaware of the idea of videoconferencing or, as they loudly condemn the evil use of fossil fuels, irony.

I’ve been spotted rummaging through the hedges and tracks that border my farm, searching high and low for, would you believe, an electricity substation. It turns out that if you are lucky enough to find one on or near your farm, and it’s over 33kV, you’re blessed: you can now go “generator farming”.

On a concrete pad (hmm, carbon footprint?), surrounded by a massive earth bund, an array of diesel-powered (yes, diesel) generators are installed and linked to the grid. Their sole purpose is to switch on and provide back-up power when the national grid is found wanting. They are known as short term operating reserves, or STORs.

The figures (as supplied by Strutt & Parker) are astonishing. The average STOR will supply 20MW, and so will need fifty 400kW generators. The rents are even more mind-blowing. The rule of thumb is £1,000 to £2,500 per megawatt capacity, so for a 20MW Stor – well, do the sums yourself.

The other good news (assuming you yourself don’t live in earshot) is that they tend to only work at night – probably something to do with the inherent night-time uselessness of solar farms.

That's unless you live in Spain, where some Solar Farms magically work at night as well.

And if you do live nearby, fifty grand a year will pay for some serious double-glazing, or even a new house at the far end of the farm.

So, let’s get this right. “Green” farmers all over the country are installing solar panels and wind farms, all designed to save greenhouse gas emissions and somehow stop CACC. Meanwhile, farmers lucky enough to have a substation handy are installing vast numbers of old-fashioned diesel-powered generators, ready to start-up and belch out greenhouse gases, just to keep the lights on.

It’s a sign of getting old to think the world is getting mad, but this is bonkers. A paradox? No, it’s worse than that – it’s a weapons-grade, ocean-going absurdity. It’s right up there with flying 40,000 people to a climate change conference.

Git orf moi power station!
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Chad (a long time ago -- on another thread) wrote:
A train. (Taken from ouside my local).

Unfortunately, my old local fell victim to the floods. (You can see the railway bridge in the video below.)

My Old Local

Fortunately, my new local (to which I transferred patronage some while ago) stands safe and sound on higher ground.
Boreades

The rain has hardly stopped persisting down in Cumbria and Yorkshire, now the media pundits have started the usual finger-pointing at the usual suspects.

Is it climate change? Is it lack of capital spending on glamorous defence projects? Is it lack of unglamorous spending on dull routine maintenance of waterways?

Whatever it is, an article by the Indy back in 2014 has an excellent sense of deja vu about it:
Why do we insist on building on flood plains?

Flooding may have shot up the political agenda but that hasn't stopped local planning authorities driving through housing developments in areas at severe risk of flooding.

From Cornwall to London, to Cardiff, Leeds and Northumberland, local authorities across England and Wales have been ignoring the Environment Agency's (EA) protests and waving through developments on flood-prone land.

As Britain endures another weekend of torrential rain and further flooding, figures obtained by The Independent on Sunday reveal that last year local councils allowed at least 87 planning developments involving 560 homes to proceed in England and Wales in areas at such high risk of flooding that the EA formally opposed them. The biggest development of this kind is the 149-home Goresbrook Village Estate in Dagenham, Essex, expected to be ready for occupation in March 2015.

etc.
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/the-more-the-experts-warn-against-the-more-we-build-on-flood-plains-9101710.html
Boreades

For more of the deja vu:

Floods in York, November 2000

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/archive/1031047.stm
and
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/1228291.stm
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 59, 60, 61  Next

Jump to:  
Page 55 of 61

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in