MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Sweet Track (Megalithic)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

For those of you who prefer to do these things in cars take note of this letter in yesterdays's Guardian re John Michell, of blessed memory

Joe Boyd writes: One day in 1968, I mentioned to John Michell (obituary, 6 May) that I was driving to Pembrokeshire that weekend with Robin Williamson of the Incredible String Band. John asked if he could get a lift as far as the Welsh borders, so four of us set out on a cloudless summer Saturday. John came equipped with a compass and some maps and asked if we would be interested in helping him conduct an experiment.

He took a map and drew the most important English ley line, connecting Glastonbury Tor with Bury St Edmunds, which passes through a remarkable number of towns named St Michael or St George. John proposed that we leave the A4 and attempt to follow this trunk route of ley lines across the Wiltshire downs towards Avebury.

We followed a dirt road out on to the downs, turning on to smaller and smaller tracks and eventually continuing on foot. Then, from the top of a rise, Avebury lay below us. The line we were following cleaved the stone circle below directly in half. More remarkable still was a long barrow placed at right angles on the crest of the hill. In the centre of the barrow, exactly where the line crossed, stood a stone dolmen. Standing with our backs to the dolmen, we looked west along the line. At 45 degrees to the left, our eyes could follow an absolutely straight road. At 45 degrees right, the same thing was clear: verges of fields, roads and avenues of trees stretching in a die-straight line as far as the eye could see.

John's explanations included the prosaic fact that Romans built roads along the existing tracks, and Anglo-Saxon wagons followed suit, as did 19th- and 20th-century road-builders. But, that afternoon, and, I confess, to this day, his explanation for the geometric string of St Michaels and St Georges seemed almost as plausible. Those names indicate "dragon-slayers", John said, and saints often originate in pre-Christian mythology. The ancient Celtic word for dragon, he explained, was derived from root words meaning "fiery, flying, coiled serpent". If you were an ancient Celt, how else would you describe a flying saucer? And how else, he asked, would UFOs travel around our planet except by following magnetic paths?

Note also the typically Michellian blend of genius and nonsense.
Keimpe

In: Leeuwarden, Frisia

This is the first attempt of one of my two friends:

Pffffffffff.
You ask for one line, you get three...

I'll keep you posted.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We should examine these landlines for megalithic evidence!
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Funnily enough a line from Haverford West to Margate would go just south of London via the Goring Gap, passing close to Stonehenge as far as I can tell. How long have you got Keimpe?
Keimpe

Sorry, that one doesn't count as land line, because it crosses the sea at Bristol

(if you want an easy way to draw lines across Google maps, go to http://www.afstandmeten.nl/ which is a runners site, where you can mark your course on a Google map and then register your time. I also use this site for drawing straight lines across maps).
Keimpe

We should examine these landlines for megalithic evidence!

Well there's loads of megalithic stuff containing 'Michael' on this line (hence its name), starting at St. Michael's mount. I got this from John Michell's book (The New View over Atlantis).

Are you talking about this line only, or do you mean any landline from east to west or north to south?

P.S. this one's interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_Straight_Track
(it's mentioned by John Michell -- this is where he got his whole idea from)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

And don't forget Margate has a grotto which is an exact match for Avebury. I think Keimpe and his two mates had better split up and form three task forces.

PS I meant the lines your oppos came up with.
Hatty
Site Admin

Sorry, that one doesn't count as land line, because it crosses the sea at Bristol

I was talking about a different line, not the (disqualified) one your friend drew. Of course anyone can draw a straight line from anywhere and say it must be significant. From a straightforward practical stance, a straight line is useful as a navigational aid (as Michell himself states).

A course running from Weston Super-Mare (just south of Bristol) to Margate would be useful.
Keimpe

And don't forget Margate has a grotto which is an exact match for Avebury. I think Keimpe and his two mates had better split up and form three task forces.

Unfortunately, we only have a week, so I think we'll stick to the St. Michael's itinerary.

Very weird grotto, though! http://www.shellgrotto.co.uk

Do you have more info on this exact match for Avebury?
Keimpe

a different line, not the (disqualified)one your friend drew.

I tried to draw it myself, and it crossed water.

anyone can draw a straight line from anywhere and say it must be significant.

True, but if a certain line is the longest that can be drawn across a surface it has an implicit (or mathematical) significance.

And of course, someone must have first come up with the idea of strewing that line with monuments called *Michael* making it even more significant for people in later times, unless it was already significant to them.

It would have been an out of this world coincidence, if the sun would have come up on this line on a solstice or equinox. Now it's May 1st. It might just have well been October 4th.

Still: how in the world could people thousands of years ago have known what the longest British landline was?

Either they had maps, OR the whole megalithic system was built with the PURPOSE of determining what the longest landline was! And when they found out which one it was, they jotted it with some extra large stones, mounds and monuments... How's that for a new theory?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Do you have more info on this exact match for Avebury?

If you look at Michell's book (I think, as far as I remember) you will find an antiquarian map (by Stukeley?) of what Avebury used to look like in the eighteenth century. It resembles a diagram of a woman's uterus with two fallopian tubes running out on either side. This is also a plan view of the Margate Grotto. I think there was an exchange about this on the Graham Hancock site....I can't remember). Dan will know.

However Margate is quadruply important because also it is
a) the most easterly point in the area (for longest landline purposes)
b) it is at the end of a peninsula (for Celtic land/water interface purposes)
c) it is on a straight line between the German stonehenge
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,942824,00.html and...um....somewhere significant in Britain, can't remember where.
Hatty
Site Admin

you will find an antiquarian map (by Stukeley?) of what Avebury used to look like in the eighteenth century. It resembles a diagram of a woman's uterus with two fallopian tubes running out on either side.

Fallopian tubes? That reminds me of the caduceus. I remember reading it was depicted as a rod with two white ribbons, apparently an earlier version of the more familiar serpent-entwined symbol.

Very weird grotto, though!

Shells used to represent fish scales? Or dragon scales? Water, like dragons, has to be tamed, hence the name Margate perhaps.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A different line, not the (disqualified)one your friend drew.

I tried to draw it myself, and it crossed water.

anyone can draw a straight line from anywhere and say it must be significant.

True, but if a certain line is the longest that can be drawn across a surface it has an implicit (or mathematical) significance.

There are two issues when it comes to 'crossing the water' around the head of the Bristol Channel

1. We don't know where the land/water boundary was in Neolithic times

2. There are some complicated Megalithic sites (called the Seven Choirs I seem to remember) around here which might have been built to get round the Bristol Channel..

It would have been an out of this world coincidence, if the sun would have come up on this line on a solstice or equinox. Now it’s May 1st. It might just have well been October 4th.

Don't forget that the solstice reverse of May 1st is October 31st, the second most important date in the Celtic calendar.

Still: how in the world could people thousands of years ago have known what the longest British landline was?

This is the whole point. Since it cannot be a coincidence (though it may be an artefact of course) it demonstrates that the Megalithics did have this degree of surveying skills.
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

...the Margate Grotto. I think there is an exchange about this on the Graham Hancock site....I can't remember). Dan will know.

A buncha stuff on GHMB:

http://www.grahamhancock.com/phorum/search.php?f=1&search=margate&globalsearch=0&match=1&date=0&fldsubject=1&fldbody=1
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Hey! did you see that the first post in the list from Nebankh is about St Jago who just turned up on the Walkabout thread. Is that a coincidence or are there overlapping people?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 25

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in