MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Continents Adrift (Geophysics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Should the Hattytroll have mentioned the Caledonian Canal as "prior art"? Almost at sea-level...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Since you raise the point, consider this:
1. Scotland was under several thousand feet of ice which erases all surface features
2. Scotland has been out from under the ice for 12,000 years
3. Therefore all Scottish surface features are no older than twelve thousand years
4. The Caledonian Canal fissure is a surface feature
5. Therefore it is less than twelve thousand years old
6. Acadamic geomorphologists claim the Caledonian Canal fissure is millions of years old
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

I'm qualified to answer this as I have a MBO degree*

The Caledonian Canal fissure may have filled (and then unfilled) with each Ice Age. Presumably it gets a good scouring (or bottom wipe) with each successive Ice Age. Wiping the slate/granite clean of any previous evidence.

Where Nessie's ancestors were hiding during the last Ice Age is the next question.

*Master of the Bleeding Obvious
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Not obvious to me, I'm afraid. The fissure wouldn't survive the ice for more than an afternoon. Nessie holds a world record: most world attention from a single faked photo.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Nastiest Feud in Science
A Princeton geologist has endured decades of ridicule for arguing that the fifth extinction was caused not by an asteroid but by a series of colossal volcanic eruptions.
medium.com

If these twats are going to war over this, what would they do to anyone saying, "Neither, it was ..." But it shows the condition the present paradigm is in if everybody is already fighting over who is going to occupy the last (wrong) ditch.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Knowing your fondness for 'World Records' I thought I'd report this 'Universe Record':

“Currently, Earth is the only known planetary body that has robustly established plate tectonics of any kind,” said Alec Brenner, a graduate student in the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences at Harvard University.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Your perspicacity, Chad, is as always timely. I am in fact covering this very point in our next project (the current one, being at the mopping up stage, is not stretching us sufficiently). It all revolves around 'prime mover academic paradigms'. If plate tectonics is the prime mover of geomorphology, then it follows that it must be the prime mover of all similar heavenly bodies. It isn't. So it isn't.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Are the skids in for Plate Tectonics? A recent academically-sourced report described the theory as 'robustly established'. As it was formerly regarded as 'self-evidently true', this is a major advance for the bad guys.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You will recall (I always say this when I know you won't) that my own explanation for continents not being where they have always been -- a theory whose name I forget (I think Ishmael changed it so I forgot it just to spite him) -- involves the Mediterranean suffering a catastrophic breach. So it was with bemusement that I spotted this today on medium.com https://historyofyesterday.com/what-if-the-mediterranean-sea-was-filled-in-only-two-years-de759e800190

I daren't read it, not because it might destroy my theory, but because it might agree with it and somebody has thought of it first. Or at any rate, published first. But if anybody does read it, could they report back?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yesterday I couldn't remember the name of the theory. Today I received this

Dear Michael,
We'd like to invite you to review the below submission for publication in Academia Letters, a new open access publishing initiative by Academia.edu.
SPLIT LEVEL CHRISTIANITY AND ITS CAUSES: AN APPRAISAL TO CALVIN SHENK'S ARTICLE, by Jurgoi Saleh

Now I remember. It's called the Split Level Ocean Theory. Though it was changed to SLOP or SLUT or some damned thing. It's always harder getting the name right than the theory.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Grant Piper has just posted this up on medium.com

What Pangea Looks Like With Modern Borders
What Pangea would look like if it existed today
https://grantpiperwriting.medium.com/what-pangea-looks-like-with-modern-borders-3b7d413dd1e5

My lips have not stopped smacking ever since. However, pending developments, I have contented myself with this

Pangea is completely bogus. It was (almost literally) a back of the envelope exercise, playing about with the present continents until they fitted together. It has been animated so often on the telly that everyone -- geomorphologists not excluded -- believe it actually happened.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
Now I remember. It's called the Split Level Ocean Theory. Though it was changed to SLOP or SLUT or some damned thing. It's always harder getting the name right than the theory.

SLOP

The split level ocean paradigm.
Grant

Just saw a brilliant Tictok post on a theory I’ve never heard of before: Continental Drip. (See wiki entry)
The theory, which was originally a spoof aimed at Plate Tectonics, says that the Earth's landmasses are dripping down southwards towards Antarctica.
How does SLOT - or whatever it’s called - explain drip. Or does it have to? Is it evidence for the high level ocean in the southern hemisphere?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I shall examine this and report back.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Continental Drip It satirizes the acceptance of plate tectonics theory as it was being formulated and refined at the time to describe the movement of the Earth's continents that is now thoroughly accepted. Wiki

This reminds us that, not so long ago, Plate Tectonics was considered Flat Earth-style wacky. I have to say that the Drip theory -- that there is some significance in the fact that most continents (and most sub-continental isthmuses) come to a point facing south -- is really quite persuasive. Certainly it has more going for it than the accidental concordances between the shapes of continents had going for Continental Drift. And which have been pretty much dispensed with today since the plates and or the continental shelves have replaced the continent outlines beloved of cartographers.

When the satire is more believable than that which is satirised, ya just gotta call in the AE-ists.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Jump to:  
Page 6 of 6

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in