MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Continents Adrift (Geophysics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

This just kind of struck me as nonsense tonight.

What we call 'the reverse-mandala effect' (he says, having just made it up). The map of the world is, I suppose, the most familiar geographical artefact in our brains. And we know it's true. So when geographers start shifting continents about (and ending with the demonstrably true current layout) our brain registers this as sort of just-as-true. It doesn't matter how often you are told it is just some people doodling on the back of an envelope, your brain keeps on registering it as something that actually took place in history.

Then, all of a sudden, as happened with you, the reverse occurs and the scales fall. It's our task to find out how to engineer this effect at will with whosoever.
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

Then, all of a sudden, as happened with you, the reverse occurs and the scales fall.

What we call the "Mick's Mandala effect". You constantly drum the fatuousness of Plate Tectonics into your head, heralding someone else's hesitation as enlightenment and encouraging them to misapprehend as much as you do.

I am still not arguing for Plate Tectonics, you understand.

But forces that push outward (or inward) are commonplace. Continental drift is likened to the effect of convection: imagine things welling up and circulating within a saucepan, depending on where the hottest point is; see how up-welling becomes horizontal movement at the surface; imagine a geologist saying "well, if things are moving like this, there must be currents circulating like so..."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I was referring only to the shifting continents sequence. It is undeniable that all laypeople and most Earth Scientists are vaguely under the impression that Gondwanaland and Pangea actually existed.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

An article of importance I am parking here for future reference:

Biblical-Type Floods Are Real, and They're Absolutely Enormous
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Ishmael wrote:
An article of importance I am parking here for future reference:

Biblical-Type Floods Are Real, and They're Absolutely Enormous

But, yes, and then what? Since the end of the last Ice Age, haven't there been several eras when melt-water broke through and did Big Stuff to sea levels all over. See The English Channel.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

I found the information in this video shocking.

Earth has been misrepresented to us by Geologists. Because the [physical] globes that you buy, and you rub your fingers over and you feel the Himalayas and you feel the Rocky Mountains---no. No. These mountains are puny compared to the size of the Earth. [By touching the Earth's surface], you would not know [these features] were there.

If you were truly that size---some big cosmic giant, lumbering through space, coming upon the Earth, rubbing your hand on it---the depth of your fingerprints would be greater than the entire range of [depth] from the Marianas Trench, in the bottom of the Pacific, to the top of Mount Everest. Therefore, if you close your eyes you would not know whether you were [passing your fingers over] an ocean, valley, mountain or hill. You would not even notice [the wet]! You're not going to say; "Oh! I gotta dry my hand." The depth of the ocean doesn't measure up to the depth of your fingerprint.... Cosmically-speaking, we are practically a perfect sphere.
-- Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, Astrophysicist
Boreades

Courtesy of my academic colleagues, wot publish stuff, an interesting article:

"Poseidon’s Horses: Plate Tectonics and Earthquake Storms in the Late Bronze Age Aegean and Eastern Mediterranean"

In light of the accumulated evidence now published, the oft-denigrated suggestion that major earthquakes took place in the Aegean and Eastern Mediterranean areas during the late 13th and early 12th centuries BC must be reconsidered.A new study of earthquakes occurring in the Aegean and Eastern Mediterranean region during the 20th century,utilizing data recorded since the invention of seismic tracking devices, shows that this area is criss-crossed with major fault lines and that numerous temblors of magnitude 6·5 (enough to destroy modern buildings, let alone those of antiquity) occur frequently. It can be demonstrated that such major earthquakes often occur in groups, known as‘‘sequences’’ or ‘‘storms’’, in which one large quake is followed days, months, or even years later by others elsewhere on the now-weakened fault line. When a map of the areas in the Aegean and Eastern Mediterranean region affected (i.e.shaken) by 20th century AD earthquakes of magnitude 6·5 and greater and with an intensity of VII or greater is overlaid on Robert Drews’ map of sites destroyed in these same regions during the so-called ‘‘Catastrophe’’ near the end of the Late Bronze Age, it is readily apparent that virtually all of these LBA sites lie within the affected (‘‘high-shaking’’) areas. While the evidence is not conclusive, based on these new data we would suggest that an ‘‘earthquake storm’’ may have occurred in the Late Bronze Age Aegean and Eastern Mediterranean during the years 1225–1175 BC. This ‘‘storm’’may have interacted with the other forces at work in these areas c. 1200 BC and merits consideration by archaeologists and prehistorians.

https://www.academia.edu/19524810/Poseidons_Horses_Plate_Tectonics_and_Earthquake_Storms
_in_the_Late_Bronze_Age_Aegean_and_Eastern_Mediterranean

Not sure if this has any bearing at all on the missing Dark Ages? As there are plenty of Dark Age locations that are not in earthquack areas.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This breaks a primary AE rule. We know plenty about earthquakes and nothing so far has come near to destroying even a small civilisation. Not even a city so far. Bits of a city. This is a standard case of one academic discipline trying to earn brownie points by supporting another. Of course if you are allowed to make stuff up, eg

an ‘‘earthquake storm’’ may have occurred in the Late Bronze Age Aegean and Eastern Mediterranean during the years 1225–1175 BC. This ‘‘storm’’may have interacted with the other forces at work in these areas c. 1200 BC and merits consideration by archaeologists and prehistorians.

then anything's possible. Notice that concept of 'an earthquake storm'. Sounds impressive but if you actually read the account it is

It can be demonstrated that such major earthquakes often occur in groups, known as‘‘sequences’’ or ‘‘storms’’, in which one large quake is followed days, months, or even years later by others elsewhere on the now-weakened fault line.

In other words it's what happens all the time, everywhere. Move along, folks, nothing to see here etc etc
Boreades

Kinda matches my gut reaction. Some buildings might fall over, but plants and vegetables in the ground and animals in the field just get wobbled a bit. Life goes on.
aurelius

This is germane to the thread:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36912700

Australia moves about 7cm north annually because of tectonic movements.

Could there be another explanation, other than 'tectonic movements'?
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

I’ve always regarded geography as one of my stronger subjects, but I was astonished the other day (studying a map of the Middle East) at just how close Pakistan comes to the Arabian Peninsula... It used to be much further away than that!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I may have mentioned it before but all these movements (possibly bowel in your case, Chad) are to be looked at through AE spectacles. In the first place improvements in measuring techniques have to be eliminated, in the second place shrinkage and expansion of the earth generally have to be eliminated but thirdly....

If it can be done with this degree of accuracy then why haven't geomorphologists covered the earth with sensors and nailed down every single plate as they collide, separate, subduct and do all the other things these will-o'-the-wisps are asked to do? We still haven't got a single one. And the reason is ... drum roll ...
Boreades

Well, this was posted by Al Beeb on 1st April, so make of it what you will.

'Dinosaurs walked through Antarctic rainforests'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52125369

Scientists drilling off the coast of West Antarctica have found the fossil remains of forests that grew in the region 90 million years ago - in the time of the dinosaurs.

Their analysis of the material indicates the continent back then would have been as warm as parts of Europe are today

Warm dry Southern Spanish parts or cooler damp Norwegian parts?

The interpretation is that this sector of West Antarctica, in the geological period known as the Cretaceous, featured temperate rainforest and swamp conditions - the kind of vegetation you will find on New Zealand's South Island today. Modelling work suggests average annual temperatures in this Cretaceous environment would have been in the mid-teens Celsius; summer averages would have been in the 20s.

Aha, cooler damp Norwegian parts. Snipp og Snapp

But the vegetation must have been pretty special because, being so far south, it would have had to endure three to four months of polar darkness.

All assuming that the land was in the same place and hadn't moved?
Or the South Pole was where it is now?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

What got this into the headlines was the word 'dinosaurs'. Rainforests can occur anywhere there's ... er ... rain. But the word in Beebspeak is only used to denote equatorial rainforests. So you've got the makings of a 'world story'. The South Pole used to be on the equator. Notice also the careful phrase 'at the time of the dinosaurs'. It takes a Borry to spot none of this appears in the actual story. Whether reptiles could survive three months of darkness will have to wait a bit longer.

One thing you didn't draw to our attention is that there is no such thing as West Antarctica. It being circular round the Pole. The importance of this mild swindle is that there is an Antarctica peninsula, the northern tip of which is hardly polar at all. Always useful.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Hatty is discussing medieval shite with a bloke called Nick Higham who's quite a well-known ex-BBC dude and writing a book about London water, ancient and present. Trying to elevate the discussion I looked further down the twitter barrel and found this

Nick Higham @highamnews Today’s #Londonwater fascinating fact no 3: Thames Water is considering transferring water from the Severn to the Thames to meet possible shortfalls by 2080, possibly (though unlikely) via the disused Thames Severn Canal...

So I instructed the Hattytroll to post this on my behalf

Harriet Vered @HarrietVered Both the Severn and the Thames are continuously cutting back their watersheds, Nick. What happens to the island of Britain when one breaks into the other?

To which he replied, without expressing the least surprise as if it's the most natural thing in the world

Nick Higham @highamnews It becomes two islands...?

It's true that momentarily a landmass has water cutting it into two halves, but the Harpermaster pointed out

Harriet Vered @HarrietVered No. How could it? Nowhere between the Thames and the Severn Estuary is below sea level.

But what does happen is something you housebound folk might consider at your new-found leisure. The AEL point is the careful ignoral one: that nobody in the whole recorded history of the Academic Earth Sciences has thought about it ever, at all, not once. That's because it's geomorphology, Jim, but not as we were taught it.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jump to:  
Page 5 of 6

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in