MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Whisky Galore (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

'Course, arse-burgers are techie types, possibly correlated with Rhesus Negative

Interestingly, one of my half dozen grandsons is looking particularly suspect and he just happens to have a Cornish father. - - Must check out his blood group.

Update: He is “O Negative” his mother is “O Positive”.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Caught a snippet from Bernard Cornwell talking about one of his historical novels in which he was insisting that soldiers needed alcohol to keep on fighting and killing especially in hand-to-hand battles which does seem to apply, loosely, to certain national traits; for example the 'wild' Scots and 'barbaric' Irish as the English are wont to say.

Beer wouldn't be particularly appropriate for 'Dutch courage' since it was such a commonplace drink but whisky, rationed, could serve very well to bolster morale. Maybe spirits had a dual purpose, to harden resolve and sharpen the mind, even to clean wounds, unlike wine which has a mellowing effect. There is a recognised correlation between hard drinking and hard fighting with which military commanders and clan chiefs would be very familiar.
Chad

Beer wouldn't be particularly appropriate for 'Dutch courage'

The Dutch tend to be regarded as lager drinkers, but they do have a traditional spirit - - jenever (a type of gin).

But certain brands of beers have always been regarded locally as being responsible for violent behavior, whilst others were thought less inclined to induce aggression. - - I remember my dad telling me “Be careful drinking Chester’s, it's fighting beer”. And if there were two things my dad knew about, they were beer and fighting.
Hatty
Site Admin

jenever (a type of gin).

I wonder if gin really does originate in Holland. In the French Alps the locals have a brew called génépi, made from a local berry steeped in sugar and alcohol, which tastes distinctly medicinal and is truly disgusting like all good medicines. According to my source, a Frenchwoman from the area (Montgenevre), it has a 'calming' effect.

The plant, says wiki, is a species of artemisia (named after the goddess Artemis), also used in absinthe and other liquors, and has antiseptic properties and is a traditional cure for stomach pains; it's known as wormwood in English.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I remember my dad telling me “Be careful drinking Chester’s, it's fighting beer”. And if there were two things my dad knew about, they were beer and fighting.

Yeah, but he's not your real father. People like that never notice. Hey, I'm just the messenger.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

is a traditional cure for stomach pains; it's known as wormwood in English.

Has anyone floated the idea that all alcohol started life as medicine? We have already kicked the idea around that beer might just be potable water.
Chad

People like that never notice.

I think we need to update our database of “Northern Working Class Stereotypes”.
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

Has anyone floated the idea that all alcohol started life as medicine? We have already kicked the idea around that beer might just be potable water.

Yeah, pretty much, in a hot-water infusion and an Arabic name for a banned-in-Arabia substance kind of way.
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

But certain brands of beers have always been regarded locally as being responsible for violent behavior

Stella Artois is called Wifebeater, though it's not especially strong, Belgium isn't known for its violent drinkers and the ads could only be less laddish if done by Sheilas' Wheels. I guess the violent association sticks better in the mind than the real reason for the nickname, which is a reference to A Streetcar Named Desire.
Hatty
Site Admin

I have been told that some Belgian beer has a considerably higher percentage than English brews and is therefore unsuited to drinkers used to downing several pints in a sitting. Which may explain why it's considered one of the best beers. It's interesting that the Brits don't appear to have produced a national home-grown spirit, not even a strong brand of beer, apart from cider. (The Spanish for beer is cerveza, said to derive from Latin cerevisia named after Ceres, which sounds more like cherries to me).
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Apparently, beer does a body good.

It hydrates better than water.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 4

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in