MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Matters Arising (The History of Britain Revealed)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 217, 218, 219 ... 239, 240, 241  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

The three hares reminds me, a set of three hares (and game-birds, foxes etc.) is called a "leash" in sporting circles. Apparently 14th century, leash is said to 'come from French laisse', the complete opposite of its meaning in English of a leather thong for holding a dog or tying a falcon or hawk to the wrist!

Hares seem to be a symbol of virginity in Christian lore unlike the far more subversive rabbit that could literally undermine established sites. Hence Alice (Alisha) and her time-obsessed white rabbit guide to the underground.
Hatty
Site Admin

How likely is that ?

A way of saying that the weather can't be controlled even though humans are so advanced they can cultivate things like fruit trees?
Hatty
Site Admin

The raven is a mirror of the dove.

Raven backwards is nevar = to snow (in Spain, at least). Mirror writing apart I don't see any mirroring.

John the Baptist is supposedly a dove, something to do with holy spirit I expect. Since he was a desert hermit he probably got presented with pigeon droppings.
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

The romans used mirror writing to curse, change luck.

A raven associated trickster/thief signifies bad luck, sometimes death.

A dove associated mother goddess brings good fate sometimes life beginning although the good fate can sometimes be destruction or retribution against an enemy.

Noah first sent out a raven then a dove.
Hatty
Site Admin

Doves became heralds of peace in medieval Christian symbology but were never associated with moon goddesses as far as I'm aware.
nemesis8

Theres quite a bit in this article.

http://www.bib-arch.org/e-features/enduring-doves.asp

The dove was sacred to Astarte, Ishtar, Freyja, Brighid, and Aphrodite.

Aphrodite is often featured with a dove.
Hatty
Site Admin

Dovecotes were an important food store in Britain, not unlike rabbit warrens, and not just confined to large country estates but on main transport links (which are also the locations of temples to Astarte or whatever the local deity happens to be called). Since they still hang around, not being afraid of humans, and have predictable flight paths, they get routinely shot and delivered to Sainsbury's shrines.

Not much dove-interest in British folklore. St. David is the patron saint of doves in Wales which isn't surprising since he's a 'navigational' saint.
Hatty
Site Admin

The romans used mirror writing to curse, change luck.

Reversing things seems to have been a Megalithic speciality (cf. the flag of Cornwall which is the exact reverse of Brittany's flag, the Red Cross ditto with the Swiss flag). Little wonder that in Christian eyes mirror writing meant 'bad luck' if not worse.
nemesis8

Ok we have a flood myth and a discovery of land, by a dove.

What about Dover ?
Hatty
Site Admin

Dover is connected via a so-called Roman trade route to Trier and Cologne via Boulogne. Ursula or Little Bear, a 'British princess', went on a pan-European pilgrimage ending at Cologne or Köln where she was murdered.

Noah's dove didn't discover land, that was the raven's job, but brought back information as a reliable messenger must. Do messengers have to be killed to safeguard trade secrets?
nemesis8

Hmmm, the consistent is the dove/seagull and raven.

The raven is the trickster. The dove/seagull supplies the birth/mother element.
nemesis8

Hatty wrote:
Dover is connected via a so-called Roman trade route to Trier and Cologne via Boulogne. Ursula or Little Bear, a 'British princess', went on a pan-European pilgrimage ending at Cologne or Köln where she was murdered.

This is the story of Harold Godwinson.
Hatty
Site Admin

I was thinking in terms of navigation and Ursa Minor. The connection is via St. Martin (of Tours) the patron saint of Dover who also gave his name to Cologne's oldest monastery, built on an island, i.e. to control the Rhine crossing.

St. Martin's church at Guston (thought to mean 'goose town') connects Dover and Sandwich via a 'Roman' road ending at St. Margaret's White Cliff, where the sun is popularly said to first reach Britain from the Continent.
nemesis8

I had a quick look at Saint Ursula, just for fun.

So I thought... which earth/moon goddess is she?

Anyway... she looked like Artemis (to me).

So I looked for a river/hunting connection...

River Ouse looked best.......

The most famous Ursula connected with the Ouse is the following..... Sorry Chad, it's not a link to that Ursula....but she does make predictions about the Ouse and...well........

http://www.mothershiptonscave.com/mother_shipton.htm

I never did find the connection to Dover.......
nemesis8

I am starting to like Knaresborough. Apart from Mother Shipton and the murderers of Thomas a Becket, Guy Fawkes once lived there.....Place is genuinely evil.....
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 217, 218, 219 ... 239, 240, 241  Next

Jump to:  
Page 218 of 241

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in