MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Matters Arising (The History of Britain Revealed)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 222, 223, 224 ... 239, 240, 241  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

I wish I felt that way. It's all so very disheartening to me.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
Crank Theory Three: Queen Elizabeth I was actually a man named Edmund. Edmund was effeminate from an early age and insisted on wearing women’s clothing.

Look, it's no good trying to work Blackadder sub-plot/characters into this. Try harder.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

As you will see, this was not missed by the contributants.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Here's how the contest kicked off. James K thought it was my theory that was made up

My guess is theory #1 is the one you invented.

Kazzy agrees with him but points out something depressing -- nobody's heard of my theory:

I agree. I have heard #2 before, or something approaching it, so I am confident that isn't the fake. I don’t know a ton about either language or monarchs, but I know slightly more about the former and have never heard anything even remotely similar to it.

Plus it isn’t particularly “juicy” — thereby generating little interest (though it sometimes amazes me what people are passionate about) — and seems like the sort of thing that would need to be made up out of whole cloth since I just don’t know what even quasi-evidence could exist for it. So, yea, I think #1 is the bogus one.

Nice to know there isn't even quasi-evidence for the THOBR thesis.
Boreades

Sigh, if only you had added the magic ingredients: Sex, battles and gory deaths.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Maybe sex and violence wouldn't work. The author, one Richard Herschberger, is a member of a pacifist group, the Mennonite Church, somewhat akin to the Amish and Quakers, which seems to take the NT literally but benignly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonite
Boreades

What, sex and violence wouldn't work? I didn't think you could get an archeology/history documentary on the BBC unless you included some of each.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Todd Kelly though thinks I might be a real as opposed to a made-up fruitcake. Most utterly bizarre, as he puts it.

I’m going to go with a variation of the B-Movie Thriller Maxim, wherein whoever is the least likely person of all non-protagonist characters to be the murderer/turn coat/villain will always end up bing the murderer/turn coat/villain. So I am guessing that the one you made up is #3, since that seems the least utterly bizarre.

Dr Jay agrees

That’s more or less my reasoning, and my choice, as well.

But Kolohe is more thoughtful

I’ve heard number #3 before, so I’m sure that’s one of the ‘real’ ones. Theory number #1 sounds like something that proves Jesus spoke English so I'm thinking that's real as well. Thus, theory number #2 is the one you made up.
Boreades

Theory number 1 sounds like something that proves Jesus spoke English.

Ha, I've actually met some Americans that believe that. Did THOBR miss a trick there?
Ishmael

Well I'm on record as proposing that The Bible was Written in English. Guess that makes me "a crank."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Everybody thinks Jesus spoke Aramaic. I've never seen any actual evidence in support of this. Can anybody shed light?
Ishmael

There is indeed an American tradition (held too by many people across North America) that the King James Bible is the original Bible. It is that very tradition I thought of when considering the evidence I have (not a lot) that portions of the New and Old Testament were originally composed either in English or Anglo-Saxon (or both).

That evidence is all public here on these forums---where all of us helped to find it. It simply hasn't been organized into a singular presentation nor followed up on. I wish I had the time to devote to all these projects.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Some contestants played the man and not the ball. Here's Randy Harris

Based on your prior posts, #1 seems like something you would make up.

Stillwater elaborates the point

Knowing your penchant for labyrinthine linguistic luminescence I’m gonna go with #1.

which maybe explains how a copy of THOBR ended up in the hands of a mid-Western Mennonite in the first place. But Saul Degraw needs no such backstory

Without looking, I am going to choose #1

David TC doesn't miss a trick.

I think this is a trick. They’re all real crank theories.

Mike Schilling agrees with Dave as well as with our very own Boreades

#3 is obviously inspired by Blackadder (“Edmund” is a dead giveaway.) #2 is reminiscent of Blackadder again (where most of the supposed reign of Henry VII was actually the reigns of Richard III and RICHARD THE FOURTH [1]) And #1 sounds like an outgrowth of the actual belief that the King James Bible was specially inspired by God so don’t tell them that the places it differs from the original are mistranslations. Of course the people who subscribe to that one are Christians, not cranks. So, no way to tell. They’re all equally loony..

I am always proudly pleased when one of our comedy classics is quoted over there but I am not sure whether "... are Christians, not cranks ..." is meant to be ironic. Americans don't after all do irony.
aurelius

I'm amazed at the number of people who presumably found this site from the reference in THOBR appear not to have actually read the book. Or have forgotten its conclusions already.
aurelius

ah...but maybe they found it through reading The Megalithic Empire(page 235) ...
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 222, 223, 224 ... 239, 240, 241  Next

Jump to:  
Page 223 of 241

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in