MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 260, 261, 262
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

So we're both out and (presumably) Germany will get the fifth-place spot. I was very surprised about Man City who definitely did not deserve to lose over the two legs. They're still the best team on the planet. Arsenal did deserve to lose, both legs. More than that they produced the only match in the quarters that wasn't breathtakingly exciting and of high quality. Whither Arsenal now they'll win nothing this season (except a place in the Champions' League)? Is it wither, Arsenal?

I rather think it is even if we do sign a genuine striker. (Man Utd are reportedly in for Toney so that might not be buttoned up.) Too many teams have learned how to cope with Arteta-teta and there doesn't seem to be a Plan B. Unless hoofing it to Toney turns out to be the new Plan A which was very successful while it lasted.

N.B. Guardiola played Foden and Grealish on the wings when picking from an injury-free squad for the most important match of his season. If it's good enough for the best team on the planet, surely it is good enough for England at the Euros. It would mean bye-bye, Saka, goodbye but he's been a bit sporadic of late so maybe a rest will do him and us a power of good. But I think Saka is Arsenal Mark I anyway. Getting through smart defences needs an Odegaard at both ends of the pass.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

After reluctantly deciding that my wife was right, and that I was unlikely to become world chess champion, I now have had a rethink.

Given that the next challenger Gukesh is only 17, he (err) must have basically reached that level on the basis of, say, roughly 12 years of playing and learning. I really just need to work out how he has done this, to discover his "art of learning", as it were.

Surely I still have plenty of time to figure this out and take the title somewhere around 2040, providing I don't get distracted by posting on AE?
Wile E. Coyote

Gareth is spoilt for choice for wingers, but Grealish ain't really done it goalwise for England, 2 goals 35 caps, Saka has 11 in 32, Foden 4 in 33.

I can see Southgate wanting someone on the left with the potential of more goals, as you surely can't rely on Rashford.

Trying Anthony Gordon for a few games does make sense as it sends a signal to Silky and Sulky, there is competion for places, just like on the opposite wing.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I agree Grealish is a luxury. Maybe bring him on to break a 0-0 stalemate. Foden is also a luxury but he's also the best(ish) player England has so he has to be fitted in somewhere. Playing willowy strikers like Gordon on the wing rarely works for club or country unless he is one of twin-strikers each of whom know when they should be on the wing. Better than playing one striker who is always on the wing or some damn place other than where he should be. As for goals, it's looking like the twin fixtures, Bellingham and Rice, can pitch in with enough.

"Like Robson and Peters," as Alf Ramsey was saying to me just the other day. "Do we need wingers in this day and age?" I told him I'd ask you, Wiley.
Wile E. Coyote

My problem with Grealish is that if you have a left winger who likes to cut in, they must at least try to score some of the time. Grealish cuts in then takes another few touches, and then a couple more, and then tries to draw a foul, it looks dangerous but we have other midfielders in this area and it is crowded. Gordon is more direct, he cuts in and thumps it like Henri (mark 1). Even if he doesn't score, rebounds of keeper and defenders give scavenging oppotunities for on-rushing midfield players.

It's surely a bit frustrating for progressive midfielders to make runs, then slow down just to watch Grealish doing his tricks, then get slow ball as Jack runs out of space and ideas.

Given we have not got a decent left footer, pace plus a quick cut in and shot, does give an option.

It's not wing play, but needs must.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Gordon is more direct, he cuts in and thumps it like Henri (mark 1). Even if he doesn't score, rebounds of keeper and defenders give scavenging oppotunities for on-rushing midfield players.

I concur if it's a choice between the two. Perhaps you remember Tom Finney, we've never really replaced him.

It's surely a bit frustrating for progressive midfielders to make runs, then slow down just to watch Grealish doing his tricks, then get slow ball as Jack runs out of space and ideas.

Yes, I think that's fair. Compare to Saka who doesn't use tricks but slips it inside at speed to a progressive midfielder. At least he does for Arsenal, England aren't quite so clued up. Fulfils his goals quota too.

Given we have not got a decent left footer, pace plus a quick cut in and shot, does give an option. It's not wing play, but needs must.

In the absence of one (Arsenal are having to use Trossard) Foden will do. It's not so much 'wing play' that is required so much as 'providing width'. Gareth is not good on wing backs, they were after his time.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 260, 261, 262

Jump to:  
Page 262 of 262

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in