MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Politics, The Final Frontier (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99 ... 104, 105, 106  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

A Neo-Con Speaks

Victoria Derbyshire: May I cut to the chase? How likely do you think conflict over Taiwan is?
Condoleezza Rice: The way to avoid that conflict is to make sure Taiwan is prepared militarily. That America is in a position to resist Chinese aggression

This is ludicrous. Taiwan cannot be prepared militarily to resist China. China is vastly more powerful than even a totally-militarised Taiwan, armed to the teeth. China is also vastly more powerful than any forces America can deploy in the South China Sea.

President Zhao has already laid out his policy in the case of the closest analogy, Hong Kong. He is prepared to live and let live unless Chinese people not immediately under his control insist on making a song and dance about resisting him. In which case they get squashed in short order and external criticism can go hang. Everybody needs China so criticism is short, muted and irrelevant. Ol' Condy wants Taiwan and the US to make a song and dance about it.

Thank God Biden is too dozy to have any kind of China policy. That's the one I recommend. It's the one Rishi has chosen in case you hadn't noticed.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

For all those that are concerned that BRICS is going to be a threat to western hegemony.....

Xi has just snubbed Modhi by not even attending the G20 because it's being hosted by India.

BTW is it just me, but it rather takes the fun out of these foreign visits when the PM and wife actually look look good wearing pink garlands. I will have to vote Starmer.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Not to mention the two of them were actually fighting a war a coupla years ago. It's like the USA and the Soviet Union setting up a mutual admiration society in the fifties. Xi was correct not to attend the G20, as unwieldy as BRICS will be when they let in their candidate-applicants. He's not up for re-election so what would be the point?

What is required, in my view is an end to all these jamborees. Instead, there would be a no-frills, no-publicity building somewhere that houses senior people (not politicians) in permanent session, keeping ongoing problems in play round the table and flying kites with one another in a deniable sort of way. Membership should be strictly un-PC, confined to countries that actually matter. The first rule of fight club will be no throwing people out for fighting.

The head jobs can come along from time to time to ratify this or that.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Grand Strategy Question of the Week

What is the strategic significance of North Korea's Kim Jong Un travelling by train to meet Russia's President Putin?

In order to go by train from North Korea to Russia, the two countries must have a land border. While Russia and North Korea have a land border, China cannot have direct access to the Pacific. It is impossible to conjure a world whose greatest power does not have access to its greatest ocean.

It doesn't matter much to either Korea or Russia whether they can take the train to one another's country, it matters a whole damn lot to the Chinese whether they have a port on the Pacific. Both Russia and North Korea should look out, the Chinese will be coming for them one day in the not too distant future. If I were them, I'd give it to them now while they still can.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:

While Russia and North Korea have a land border, China cannot have direct access to the Pacific.

You what?
Did you look at a map of the Eastern Pacific before you said that?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes. If you are going to correct me, you have to be more specific. Northern China has indirect access to the Pacific via the Bohai and Yellow Seas, though even that used to be hindered by Russo-Japanese machinations in the days of Port Arthur. South China has indirect access via the... wait for it... South China Sea.

This is an application of the 'four-colour cartography problem': when applying different colours to distinguish countries, it has been found only four colours are ever needed because five countries cannot abut one another. The fifth country can always be coloured the same as the first. The 'problem' arises from nobody being able to come up with a 'proof'. In this case it is that if country A abuts country B along a littoral, there is no room for country C.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
Grand Strategy Question of the Week

What is the strategic significance of North Korea's Kim Jong Un travelling by train to meet Russia's President Putin?

In order to go by train from North Korea to Russia, the two countries must have a land border. While Russia and North Korea have a land border, China cannot have direct access to the Pacific. It is impossible to conjure a world whose greatest power does not have access to its greatest ocean.

It doesn't matter much to either Korea or Russia whether they can take the train to one another's country, it matters a whole damn lot to the Chinese whether they have a port on the Pacific. Both Russia and North Korea should look out, the Chinese will be coming for them one day in the not too distant future. If I were them, I'd give it to them now while they still can.

The Kym Dynasty have always travelled by bullet proof train. It's what they do. Kim Il Sung used a train during the Korean War as his mobile headquarters, and after the cessation of hostilities built a network of secure palaces which could only then be accessed by the private trains used by the leader. It's treated a bit like a Tudor Progress, with the whole "court" and "courtesans" travelling too. Normally you have more than one train.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
Yes. If you are going to correct me, you have to be more specific. Northern China has indirect access to the Pacific via the Bohai and Yellow Seas, though even that used to be hindered by Russo-Japanese machinations in the days of Port Arthur. South China has indirect access via the... wait for it... South China Sea.

This is an application of the 'four-colour cartography problem': when applying different colours to distinguish countries, it has been found only four colours are ever needed because five countries cannot abut one another. The fifth country can always be coloured the same as the first. The 'problem' arises from nobody being able to come up with a 'proof'. In this case it is that if country A abuts country B along a littoral, there is no room for country C.

Ha, ha - a classic Harpo response :-)

Technically and very pedantically correct, with a bit of obfuscation and misdirection thrown in. But operationally (and in the real world), what is technically known as "a load of bollocks".

Like claiming that Russia does not have "direct" access to the North Atlantic. Because its Northern Fleet has to go through the Barents Sea, the Greenland Sea or the Norwegian Sea before it reaches the North Atlantic.

https://www.mapsofworld.com/world-ocean-map.htm

Goodbye.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You illustrate the problem nicely. All states with a coastline have access to anywhere in the world because all the oceans in the world share connectivity. The strategic challenge arises from how useful which part of their coastline connects to the World Sea. For instance, the Germans built the Kiel Canal to ensure their Baltic fleet could reach the North Sea without going round Denmark because the Skagerrak and the Sound can be closed in wartime. They could do nothing about having to traverse the North Sea and English Channel to get anywhere useful.

As you say, Russia has always had the severest problems reaching anywhere useful. They built an ice-free port at Murmansk because their main port at Archangel was useless for several months of the year. As an illustration of the North Korea/Russia dodge, they nicked a piece of Finnish territory at the end of the war to ensure Russia abuts Norway, thereby closing off Finland/Sweden/anyone from the south in the future from access to the North Atlantic.

Thereby inadvertently opening a land border with NATO, in the future, so it isn't always plain sailing.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The delegation is in Ramallah, the Saudis first official visit to the West Bank in thirty years.Al-Jazeera

And the Palestinians think this is good news! The poor fools. The Saudis are of course on the verge of 'normalising' relations with Israel and are anxious to keep 'the street' quiet.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The French continue to tie themselves into Sahelian knots. They decided to interfere in Niger's internal politics by robustly opposing the military coup. The coup leaders unsurprisingly told the French they could get the hell out of Dodge. The French riposted that their embassy staff and the several hundred French soldiers guarding them were going nowhere because they were accredited to and had been invited in by the previous regime and France did not recognise the present one. "Bien sûr," said the new government, and the locals organised nightly street parties outside the embassy compound with the general theme of Allez, France!

After a few weeks the food and water started to run out and President Macron said, "Oh, all right then, s'il vous voulez."
Wile E. Coyote

In Sweden, the government is bringing in the army to deal with criminal gangs..

They will get tough on crime eh?

The number of bombings, grenade(!) and gun attacks has reached crazy levels in Malmo as gangs fight it out.

Yesterday
Two shootings have brought the number killed in gun violence in the country to 11 so far this month - making it the deadliest since records began in 2016. The explosion is the third to happen this week.

Bombings are becoming just a regular part of Malmo life.

The blast was so powerful that it damaged five houses, tearing the facade off two.

Wiley doesn't agree with alarmist measures, but bringing in the army to unleash a war against criminal gangs is now probably the best course.

According to researcher Amir Rostami in 2021, those responsible for the gun violence are predominantly young men and often second generation immigrants.[45]

By 2023 gun violence in Sweden had risen to 2.5 times the European average. Most of the violence continued to be attributable to an influx of guns, drug dealing, and marginalized immigrant communities.[76]

https://news.sky.com/story/three-dead-in-sweden-after-shootings-and-explosion-linked-to-feud-between-criminal-gangs-12971598

Londoners don't realise just how good the Met are.......
Mick Harper
Site Admin

For Ukraine, read Armenia

Certain countries get given favourable treatment by the western media and not necessarily because they are western-oriented. Ukraine brought many of its troubles on itself when, in the 1990's, it became independent and exploited its 'darling' status vis a vis a prostrate Russia to hammer out borders that were unrealistically maximalist. When Russia returned to its normal state, Ukraine doubled down by refusing to make concessions to its Russian minorities in the Donetsk.

Though the mess was created by the Soviet Union and it has been 'dealt with' in a deplorable manner by the Russian successor-state, it cannot be denied that Uraine behaved both foolishly and chauvinistically. But throughout the period, the west kept quiet about Ukrainian failings and then took Ukraine's side unconditionally when her chickens came home to roost.

The USSR similarly created a ludicrous situation in the Armenia/Azerbaijan region by placing Armenian-speaking Nagorno-Karabakh inside the Azerbaijan SSR. With the demise of the Soviet Union both Armenia and Azerbaijan gained their independence but, as usual, both countries followed maximalist territorial policies. Azerbaijan refused all entreaties about Nagorno-Karabakh, so Armenia -- then the stronger of the two -- simply invaded Azerbaijan and not only annexed Nagorno-Karabakh but incorporated a great many further, Azeri-speaking, districts as well 'to round out' the Armenian state. It took no great pains to reassure their new Azeri citizens they would prosper under Armenian administration.

Naturally, as soon as Azerbaijan became strong enough it simply reversed the process. Following a brief war in 2020 it essentially returned the situation to its pre-1991 borders and made completely sure that the Armenians inside the enclave understood who was master. Just a few weeks ago it too doubled down by militarily occupying Nagorno-Karabakh sending (so far) a third of its Armenian inhabitants fleeing for Armenia and the rest -- we can be fairly sure -- will soon follow. Ironically, this will probably 'solve' the problem for all time.

The western attitude was summed up on Channel 4 News when an apparently neutral academic from a neutral sounding think tank was asked whether Armenia's bad behaviour in the 1990's contributed to their troubles, she simply ignored the question and was allowed to do so by her interlocutor. We must have our heroes and villains untarnished.
Wile E. Coyote

I am not sure this is the case. I don't think Armenia ever annexed, ie claimed, sovereignty of Nagorno Karabech, in fact I don't think they even recoginised the Republic of Artsakh or the belt of surrounding land.

The sovereign status of the Republic of Artsakh is not recognized by any United Nations member state (including Armenia), but has been recognized by Transnistria,[13] Abkhazia and South Ossetia; Transnistria is not recognized by any UN member state, while the latter two have international recognition from several UN member states. Armenia is currently in an ongoing negotiation with Artsakh, where the end goal is either Artsakh independence recognition or Artsakh integration with Armenia

Following an Azerbaijani rapid assault on 19 September 2023, Artsakh agreed to dissolve itself by 1 January 2024.[9]

Putin has now actually annexed huge chunks of Ukraine. The 30th September was the celebration of this annexation.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I am not sure this is the case. I don't think Armenia ever annexed, ie claimed, sovereignty of Nagorno Karabech,

That is immaterial. Armenia occupied it, occupied the bit in between, and occupied other bits and bobs of Azerbaijan. Then defied Azerbaijan and the world community to do anything other than recognise a 'boots on the ground' solution.

in fact I don't think they even recoginised the Republic of Artsakh or the belt of surrounding land.

I believe this dates from the 2020 war, to legitimise resistance to Azerbaijani control. I don't think even the Karabakhs took it seriously.

Putin has now actually annexed huge chunks of Ukraine. The 30th September was the celebration of this annexation.

Equally immaterial. Either she keeps them via boots on the ground or she doesn't.

I've put up a coupla pieces on Medium for them that can access them https://medium.com/@mickxharper/jaw-jaw-will-eventually-replace-war-war-c20d24b8352e https://medium.com/@mickxharper/i-hate-to-say-it-but-russia-has-already-won-6ddf36236eea
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

Jump to:  
Page 98 of 106

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in