MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 240, 241, 242 ... 260, 261, 262  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Ukraine 1 England 1

This was a decent performance. We played 'em off the park away from home and they're not a half-bad side. So let's accentuate the negatives:

1. It's pretty shocking that we're opening the international season with old-timers like Henderson, Maguire and Walker still around, even if Walker was man of the match.
2. You can't play four at the back and Henderson and Rice.
3. Saka has become a real problem. His unwillingness to beat a man used to be masked by his general creativity and faultlessness. He now makes mistakes with alarming regularity and his creativity is not so essential if Rice and Bellingham are in the side.
4. If Maddison really is ahead of Foden and Grealish in the flank pecking order, we're in big trouble.
5. Kane. Still.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Argentina tried for tries. England simply dropped goals.

Let's be honest, we simply can't break down defences like other better teams, who are capable of fluid multiple waves of attacks, so we might as well just go over the top.

I know it's cowardly and boring to watch, but it's simple and obvious and demoralises the opposition who have to adjust to conceding 9 points or so without England even trying to breach their ranks.

More please.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I don't watch rugby any more but when I did (keenly) England had never lost to Argentina. Is that still the case? I thought it curious... and possibly significant.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Does anyone else suffer from sudden sport-fatigue syndrome (SSS)? For me, rugby is not alone. I used to be a Formula One freak, then one day I decided it was monumentally boring and never watched another race. Or baseball. I was a big fan, then Bryce Harper moved from my team, the Washington Nationals, to the Philadelphia Phillies and I never watched another etc etc. Athletics. Another biggie. When Brits disappeared, so did I. Ice hockey. That was more of a brief passion, but the same sort of thing. I'm sure there are others.
Wile E. Coyote

You really need more unexpected outcomes than you get in F1 these days. No matter how brilliant the driver, if the vehicle is not competitive, he or she has no chance, the skill is in inventing a fast reliable car before the season has started.(boring). The only rivalry really becomes the two drivers who have the best car, and they have even stopped that by the so-called team orders, so the second guy doesn't overtake the guy leading just in case he takes both cars off. Overtaking rarely happens except when a very fast car is lapping a slower one. Even then the slower is expected to allow the fast car through.

They are slowly eliminating the aspects of the sport that makes it fun to watch.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

All these factors were present when I would spend an hour watching the qualifying (actually the most exciting part) before spending two hours on the race itself. Somehow I, like zillions of people the world over, persuaded myself that none of the things you mentioned mattered or, worse, was why we watched it!

It's only when the scales have fallen and you have taken yourself off to watch a hundred and fifty cyclists gently perambulating the countryside for six hours that you realise what a fool you were.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yesterday I was on the verge of adding American football to the list when the New England Patriots fell sixteen points behind after five minutes of the opening game, at home to the Philadelphia Eagles. We eventually lost it at the death due to some chicanery on the part of someone. "Oh ye of little faith," I said angrily to the fainthearts. It looks as though it will be a sixteen-and-one season.
Grant

Problem with F1 is that it became popular when lots of people died. The drivers were truly modern day gladiators.

Now the cars are so safe and reliable that most races are won by the best car. Now I know that was always the case but in the old days it wasn't guaranteed because a simple mistake would mean death. You just can't replace that jeopardy
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The entire NFL close season -- which those idle sods ensure lasts from February to September -- was spent discussing the move of Aaron Rodgers -- the current GOAT -- from the Green Bay Packers to the New York Jets. Gotham itself was in a frenzy of anticipation partly because gridiron had been in the doldrums so long there, partly because it meant the Jets might at last be worthy to be spoken of in the same city as the Giants. The NFL panjandrums moved the Jets game to Monday night so the entire nation, nay the entire world, could watch this game and this game alone. Even God ceased his labours, pulled up his celestial armchair and settled down to watch the birth of a new era.

After five minutes, Rodgers' achilles twanged and he's out for the season. At his age perhaps for all time. The Greatest Of All Time.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Graeme Souness, who always speaks his mind, told us that Scotland matched England 'in all departments except maybe for strikers'. Mick Harper, who always speaks his mind, told Mr Souness that no Scottish footballer would get into the England set-up except maybe for driving the team bus.

As to the game itself, I cannot say. After five minutes I realised that I had no interest in the oldest, most oft-played game in the international calendar and I'd prolly catch the highlights later. I bet it wasn't a patch on the good old days when Souness was in his pomp and the Tartan Army was laying waste to Wembley goalposts. In fact, knowing Souness, he was probably one of them.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Know Your Footie Teams
Today FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round
Didcot Town 19:45 Tadley Calleva

Come on, you Tads, allez le Callé.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have been misinformed. The first round of the Roman Empire Cup qualifies you for the Medieval Cup. [Calleva is the Roman name for Silchester or something, up the road from Portchester where they landed, Hatty will know.)

Tadley Calleva have reportedly received a somewhat unlikely FA Cup reprieve after AFC Portchester were thrown out. The South Coast side were found guilty by the Football Association of fielding an ineligible player in the early rounds of the competition. Portchester beat Wells City 2-1 in the FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round, and then gave Calleva an 8-1 hiding in the Preliminary Round.

Now a statement released by Didcot suggests the Railwaymen will play Tadley in their delayed FA Cup First Qualifying Round tie. On Wednesday, an FA Spokesperson said to Football in Berkshire: “AFC Portchester have been charged with allegedly playing an ineligible player in their Emirates FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round tie against Wells City on Saturday 5 August. We are unable to comment further while the process is ongoing, but an update will be provided in due course.”

One note of caution, Portchester have the right to appeal so things could still change but as it stands, Tadley will be reinstated in the competition and will travel to Didcot Town on Tuesday 12th September with a home FA Cup Second Qualifying Round tie on Saturday 16th against Bristol Manor Farm the prize

Didcot, the Railwaymen? Surely they're 'The Southern Powerhouse' even if they do run Thomas the Tank Engine days for the kiddies. My brother goes regularly.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
Graeme Souness, who always speaks his mind,

He doesn't. What he wanted to say was that the Scots should have shown the English some real ill willie with a few trademark Sounerian chops at knee level, but was reduced to a frothing at the mouth whilst opining "you canna have your players helping the English up after mistimed challenges".

Sad. But we all need to earm a living.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
I have been misinformed. The first round of the Roman Empire Cup qualifies you for the Medieval Cup. [Calleva is the Roman name for Silchester or something, up the road from Portchester where they landed, Hatty will know.)

Didcot, the Railwaymen? Surely they're 'The Southern Powerhouse' even if they do run Thomas the Tank Engine days for the kiddies. My brother goes regularly.

Keeping it in the family, the Didcot team was relocated just three mile from Dorchester Roman Town FC after some thieving gravel-dredgers nicked their pitch (and their henge).

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=13.4&lat=51.63284&lon=-1.20395&layers=10&b=1

A sorry state of affairs; also familiar to Thornborough Henges FC.
Wile E. Coyote

It's time for contra orthodoxy to crack open the Brummy bubbly.

Yes, Birmingham has been bankrupted by the Commonwealth Games, but it is only two and a bit years before it is due to host the 2026 European Championships.

Which is great news. With Starmer in charge, Labour absolutely desperate to rejoin the EU and keep its marginal Midlands seats, they just can't fail.

Yep, it's a relaunch as a moderrn European city, with massive sums of central government funding and all their debts written off.

Let's all drink to the fun and games and, err, the lasting legacy.......
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 240, 241, 242 ... 260, 261, 262  Next

Jump to:  
Page 241 of 262

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in