MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 177, 178, 179  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grant

The Rubiales thing demonstrates that even when women manage a major sporting achievement, they would much rather complain about........a man.

Yes Rubiales is obviously a sleaze-ball, but if England won the proper World Cup would anyone care if the head of the FA planted a smacker on Gareth Southgate?
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Who remembers the era when there was fuss about "Chair-man" or "Chair Person" or "Chair"?

I've only just realised - the England Women's team deftly side-stepped any fuss about a "Man"ager - they don't have one.

England head coach Sarina Wiegman

I get monthly emails from our Human Remains (HR) department. A common feature is all the DIE activity (Diversity, Inclusion and Equality). Which is given more importance and priority than the success or survival of the business itself. Repeated several times as headline news has been that we can all now choose our pronouns in our email footers. But if we have any concerns about this we should speak to our manager.

I'm hesitatant to ask them why they are still using such a sexist prefix (man) for a role title. AEL folk may enjoy the etymology. But HR people with woke policies are not noted for having a sense of humour in implementing these DIE policies.

Perhaps a question for Harpo (our man on the touchline with his finger on the pulse of football's throbbing issues).
When is Sarina Wiegman replacing Gareth Southgate?

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/sarina-wiegman-replace-gareth-southgate-fa-confirm-england-women-men-team-world-cup/blt4fb29886fb235f2d
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

It's easy to sneer -- that's why I do it -- but one must never lose sight of the fact that to get the human race off its arse always requires a bunch of people making a fuss about things that are not intrinsically worth making a fuss about. "For chrissake, what difference which end of the bus she has to sit in?" It is our task to monitor progress. Thus

Thank you for that example of how some men rationalize their objectification of women. Educate yourself.
should have read
Thank you, Mick, but women's football needs a few sacrificial lambs at this stage of the war.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
to get the human race off its arse always requires a bunch of people making a fuss about things that are not intrinsically worth making a fuss about. "For chrissake, what difference which end of the bus she has to sit in?"

M'Lady Boreades is highly conscious of female status on the bus. That's why she has boycotted our local bus service. She's refusing to use it until they have a First Class section, serving drinks during the journey. It better be a properly chilled Sauvignon blanc as well.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

She reminds me of Lord Curzon who, getting on a bus for the first time, said to the conductor, "Tell the driver anywhere in Eaton Square will be fine."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I am still coming to terms with these days-of-the-week blister packs. This morning I went to the next pill compartment and it said 'NOW' and I thought to myself, "There's no need to be so peremptory, I know what I'm doing." Too late! It was 'MON' upside down. Now I'll never get back on track.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I always buy sweetener dubries two at a time because it is so aggravating when one runs out. I always put the spare in a safe place. When one runs out I can never remember where the safe place is. Somewhere there is a cubby hole with thirteen sweetener dubries all neatly stacked up. Off to buy two more.

PS Yes, I have considered the possibility that I use the second one each time and only reach this position after the second one has run out. Off to buy three sweetener dubries.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Who can help me with a dumb problem that keeps defeating dumb me? I'm signing up to something and everything goes smoothly until they send me a confirmatory number code via email. In order to find out that number I have to open my email account. I read the email, I make a note of the number, but when I try to return to the page where you have to type in the number I get sent to the start of the process and have to start all over again. Surely everyone can't be suffering from this?

* Yes, I've tried bookmarking the page but that is always the page that starts the process
* Yes, I've tried pressing the arrows backward and forwards at the top, that always ends with the page that starts the process.
* Yes, I have opened my recent internet history but that only has the page that starts the process.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Having leant on my towel rail once too often, it broke off from the wall. This happens regular as clockwork every ten years so I knew just what to do. Go to Lord's Building Supplies under the Westway which always keeps the exact didger that had broken. They may even remember me and be able to lay their hands on it without delay. You then just screw it back in, using the existing rawlplug, and with the other didger and the towel rail unaffected, it's job done. The hardest part of the whole enterprise is remembering where I keep screwdrivers. Or so I thought.

Ten years is a long time in the world of Notting Hill hardware shops so, making a short detour on my way to the Tesco Saturday shop, I was dumbfounded but not overly-surprised to find Lord's boarded up and utterly woebegone. Vexed too since there are no other hardware shops in these parts and they probably wouldn't have this size of didger anyway. It was a major crisis. I googled 'hardware shops, Notting Hill' and discovered Lord's closes at lunchtime on Saturdays.
Boreades

Try Screwfix
107 Queensway, Bayswater
or
348-352, Kensington High Street
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Thanks, Borry, but I'm going to try Lord's first.
Boreades

House of Lords or the Cricket Club?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I gotta rave on medium.com

“But They Were, All of Them, Deceived…”
How, for many years, who caused WW I, has been falsely claimed to be Germany.
Marcus113, aka Marc Dauphin, MSM, CD, MD.
https://medium.com/@marcdauphin/but-they-were-all-of-them-deceived-a166340b23b4

which covered all the main bases quite well and confessed uncertainty. So I chimed in with

If you adopt the powder-keg theory i.e. some kind of war was inevitable and it was only a question of who/whom and when, then you can skate over who-caused-it? and land in the easier territory of who-didn't-mind-it? Unfortunately that puts just about everyone in the frame and you're back where you started.

Marcus113 wrote:
Mick, THIS has got to be the best ever interpretation of how WW I started. Definitely food for thought the next time I grab my teacher/lecturer coat to put it on. You just made my day.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In my never-ending quest to pull plums from supermarket shelves for your guidance and delectation, I pulled Whole Plums in Light Syrup from the Sainsbury shelves. Snag One: the tin's not ring-pull. I mean, come on, Mr Sainsbury, what's that all about? We don't all have snazzy rotary dubries, though fortunately for you, I do. Snag Two: they've still got their stones in. I mean, come on, Mr Sainsbury, we don't all have teeth to spare. Snag Three: they're plums. I've just got back from a posh country house holiday rental with a plum orchard round the back. Though I accept you wouldn't have known that, Mr Sainsbury.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Front door bell goes. It takes me a bit of time to get up the stairs and as I reach the front hall the letter box flicks open and a wiry thing comes through and starts waving about. I am transfixed at this novel apparition. Wiry thing is slowly withdrawn and I hear movement outside. So I fling open the door to find an unkept man in an orange day-glo overall with GAS on it. "Yes?" I say. He gestures vaguely towards Ladbroke Grove and says in a foreign accent something about a gas leak. "Okay," says I. "And...?" "I better check your gas meter," he says unconvincingly.

Which he does with a machine that makes a strange whirring sound and announces everything is fine. I usher him out of flat and house. Did I do the right thing? It's so difficult to know in these strange times of ours.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 177, 178, 179  Next

Jump to:  
Page 166 of 179

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in