MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Celtic migration? What celtic migration?! (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

No this is not the case, especially when Dan equates 'Celtland' to Megalithia.

Quite so. No one has disabused me of the notion... and I haven't disabused anyone else of theirs... but I have at least made a case for it. Orthodoxy's case against is all about the archaeological M.O. and the fading commitment to an Iron Age Celtic invasion. Komori's case against is... well, I don't know what it is, other than a very Orthodox-sounding assertion.

And I suspect that newer members of this forum are just as confused.

Newer members are invited to digest History > Will the Real Cynesians Please Step Forward?

in the end we plumped for 'Celtic' on the grounds that we, at any rate, would know what we meant.

For the purposes of more recent history in the British Isles, this is also true.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

DPCrisp wrote:
Quite so. No one has disabused me of the notion... and I haven't disabused anyone else of theirs...

Why can't Mick's west-coasters be "Celts" and your Megalithics be... English?
DPCrisp

Because the correlation is between Celts and megaliths.

(It's the Beaker People that correlate to England!)
Komorikid

In: Gold Coast, Australia

Because the correlation is between Celts and megaliths. (It's the Beaker People that correlate to England!)

Seeing Megalithica pre-dates the Celts -- no matter which group you subscribe to, it seems rather moot. The other missed point is that Megalithica extends way beyond Dan's listed Celtland.
DPCrisp

Seeing Megalithica pre-dates the Celts - no matter which group you subscribe to, it seems rather moot.

Except the MegalithiCeltic group.

I dunno what to say about the Irish Book of Invasions -- I'll just wave generally in the direction of Giants and turning to stone and living underground and the Tuatha Dé Danann for now -- but pre-dating the Hallstatts/La Tenes is not a problem.

Neanderthal didn't appear in the written record until 1856. How does the argument about dates go?

The other missed point is that Megalithica extends way beyond Dan's listed Celtland.

No, Megalithia matches rather precisely "Dan's Celtland", by definition. It also matches the Keltoi and Orthodoxy's Celtland rather well. That's the point. It extends way beyond the "Celtic Fringe", I grant you (and THOBR gives the argument that it had to), but I'm still waiting to hear why the correlation should be so good if they are unrelated.

(I usually say Celtland in the context of the British Isles, where it pretty much coincides with the Celtic Fringe.)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in