MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
Are we prepared to believe these thirty-seven BBC presenters who have issued statements denying it's them?

I do, because if they were the one involved, then there is a good chance that other young people would probably come forward and say "not true", "me too".
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

You would know better than me how widespread this practice is but a simple solution would be to make it a requirement for employment in any major media organisation in this country that a bottom photograph be provided and that they are publicly accessible for purposes of comparison. Some software advances may be necessary.

The National Portrait Gallery springs to mind as a suitable organisation to oversee the project. Though like Madame Tussauds' Chamber of Horrors there will have to be a sign "Restricted to Over Eighteens" because it is illegal to show bottom photos to anybody younger. Whether they install a curtain rather than a door so younger people can slip through when the bloke isn't looking is a matter for them. I wish Madame Tussaud's hadn't. I nearly failed my eleven-plus because of the nightmares.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A Spy Among Friends (ITV-1)

A sequel series to the excellent one about Philby in Beirut, and looks to be of similar quality. But watch out for over-creative re-enactments. It's the first night of the Blitz and Jerry has managed to wang the hero's club. Philby is visiting and in blackface (bomb damage not racism) shakes a waiter lying comatose on the floor. "Upsadaisy, old chap, could you fetch a couple of pink gins?" "Sorry, sir," the man managed to mumble with his dying breath, "only members can order drinks."

Sangfroid won us the war. Though not the Cold War if Philby is any judge.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
I noted not one of them included a photo of their bottom..

I'm envisioning a host of BBC presenters, in a fit of solidarity, doing a modern variant of the "I am Spartacus" scene.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You can't use 'host' as a collective noun for presenters for obvious reasons. Unless this was deliberate in which case, congratulations.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In no way can Basil Brush be described as a BBC presenter.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I had an odd experience yesterday. Al-Jazeera was interviewing -- at extraordinary length - the Finnish foreign minister. A not overly attractive young woman saying not very startling things. in only a fair English-speaking manner. I was completely mesmerised. I couldn't work it out at all. Until I realised she was just talking. Saying how it was. Maybe a harbinger but probably not.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

...with some high profile BBC colleagues coming out in the last few hours with calls to identify himself Victoria Derbyshire, Newsnight.

I've had a brill idea. Why don't I come out and identify myself as the person in question? Sure, I'll be rumbled quite quickly but meanwhile my name would have gone round the world -- they don't know the real geezer from Adam -- and sales of my books will skyrocket. How do you do these things? I haven't got a Twitter account. Damn, back to the drawing board.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

The BBC through the actions of its staff (why just not ask your staff not to personally comment, other than deny it was them, pending completion of investigation) are actually fuelling the story just as much as The Sun now. The question is why would they allow this if they genuinely want a fair investigation? They are claiming to recognise their duty of care to the presenter and also, importantly, to the person who he has alleged to have paid.

It reminds me of the media frenzy during Kelly affair.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Ah, the Kelly affair, my favourite subject. Britain in meltdown for months because a bloke committed suicide. Why so? He had spilled the beans to a BBC journalist and was rather repenting all the hullabaloo, poor lamb. Arms inspectors used to be made of sterner stuff. And the BBC got the blame! 'Doing your job? How dare you.'

Not that we were allowed to watch it all unfolding because the judge ruled the proceedings couldn't be broadcast 'to spare the feelings of the widow'. And now, your honour, turning to the feelings of the other sixty million inhabitants... Even today, if you asked who the hero of the story was, sixty million people (that's plus the widow, minus me) will say, "Dr Kelly." They presumed.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Anyway isn't it obvious who the dude is. You just have to watch for a bit and note who isn't on. When the football season starts and Gary Lineker isn't fronting Match of the Day we'll draw our own conclusions. Although, having said that, Garth Crooks hasn't been seen lately.
Grant

What was that AE thing about if something happened once it will have happened lots of times?

Even I know of someone who was getting regular pervy messages from the accused. Apparently he contacted the young man after seeing him on Instagram.

Now there will be dozens.....
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Like Grant, I knew it was Hugh Edmonds all along. It can be quite burdensome being an insider and not being able to tell people.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

If Hugh has been suffering from depression 'for a long time' was it wise to put him in charge of announcing the General Election results? If I was Donald Trump I would demand the election be re-run. If Donald Trump was British.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

"We'll be hearing from a junior doctor later but first, here's our Insights Editor, Joe Pike." Kirsty Walk, Newsnight

"What in God's name is an Insights Editor?"
"We ran a whole bunch of titles up the flagpole, Kirsty, this got the fewest guffaws."
"And who's Joe Pike when he's at home?"
"We couldn't resist the name. He'll only be reading from a teleprompter, same as you."
"It's getting like Jackanory round here."
"Before our time, love."
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 146, 147, 148  Next

Jump to:  
Page 132 of 148

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in