MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Inventing History : forgery: a great British tradition (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

It occurred to me, if you wrote Barbara Allen as a song in, say, 1800 and put it out as such -- even if it is set in the past -- would anyone give it the time of day? The tune after all is a traditional one and the lyrics are pretty weird. Probably not. But put it out as something sung by the common people after the traumas of a war and you've got a worldwide smash on your hands.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Mick Harper wrote:
And, Wiley, did you spot the name Roxburghe in there?

He did. Twice.
Wiley wrote:
One of the earliest Ballad collections was " A Book of Roxburghe Ballads."

It consisted of 1,341 broadside ballads from the seventeenth century, mostly English, originally collected by Robert Harley, 1st Earl of Oxford and Mortimer (1661–1724), later collected by John Ker, 3rd Duke of Roxburghe
Grant

Serious question,

There is no definitive reference to Jesus Christ in classical literature. But if most of it has been invented, why not?
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Grant wrote:
There is no definitive reference to Jesus Christ in classical literature. But if most of it has been invented, why not?

An excellent question!

The obvious answer is that, at the time this literature was forged, Jesus Christ had not yet been invented.

I believe the Jesus religion began no earlier than the 16th century, but it might even be later. FAR later.
Ishmael

Fomenko argues, in his latest book, that Christianity began in the 12th century and that the Old Testament (or most of it) was written after the New.

There are huge difficulties encountered by this thesis. I believe Fomenko boxes himself into these difficulties by assuming Jesus was an historical character. I have an evolving alternative hypothesis I need to write more of. But it's so nascent as to likely embarrass me.

In my judgement, your observation is completely inconsistent with an origin for Christianity earlier than the 16th century. Moreover; if we can accurately date the forgeries, we can put a bottom on the chronology of Christianity.
Ishmael

I recently encountered a female scholar on YouTube (I'll try to track down the video) who argues that Jesus does indeed appear in Josephus. She argues that everyone has been looking in the wrong time period; for Josephus describes a character whose career is a prefect imitation of the Christ of the gospels. That character's name is "The Egyptian." That character appears about 20 years after the Christ of the gospels would have been around.

If she's right, then Josephus incorporates a "historical Jesus" into his history. This does not mean that "The Egyptian" was a real person. It simply means that the writer of Josephus wanted his readers to believe (or knew they already believed) that "The Egyptian" was a historical personage of the period he is purporting to be writing about.
Ishmael

If this "The Egyptian" thesis is correct, then it implies that the Chronology of Christ within the standardized timeline, had not yet been settled at the time of his writing (whenever that really was). The latter Gospel writers decided to alter the chronology and place Christ earlier.

Perhaps, in fact, they did that to obscure his relationship to "The Egyptian" of Josephus.

Neither character need be real but each set of stories reflect a different view of the character.
Ishmael

Here is the book!

A SHIFT IN TIME
Ishmael

What this means is that, if "The Egyptian" is meant to be Christ, then the words of Josephus were written after the Gospel story was being told, but not necessarily after the Gospel Story had been written. It would likely be one of the earliest "classic works" to include the story.

Nail down when Josephus was actually written and you might have a decent clue about when the Jesus religion began.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I'll leave you to pursue that on a different thread. And on a different planet. This one's about British forgeries. If we combine this

One of the earliest ballad collections was "A Book of Roxburghe Ballads." It consisted of 1,341 broadside ballads from the seventeenth century, mostly English, originally collected by Robert Harley, 1st Earl of Oxford and Mortimer (1661–1724), later collected by John Ker, 3rd Duke of Roxburghe.

with the ones in the Pepys building

but there are other remarkable holdings, including over 1,800 printed ballads, one of the finest collections in existence

we have a consistent picture emerging. You guessed it, it's time for another MJH ten-point plan ®

1. The ballads are alleged to have been collected in the seventeenth century by people (Harley, Pepys) who are well known as meticulous sources
2. But who are suspected by us to be portmanteaux for fake products
3. They are 're-collected' in the early eighteenth century by prestigious people (Duke of Roxburghe, Magdalene College, Cambridge)
4. But who we suspect are shysters
5. The songs start turning up in the late eighteenth century as 'traditional ballads'
6. But which we suspect are contemporary creations that are made to seem traditional for commercial (and other) purposes
7. Every time scholars discover traditional folk poetry is actually a contemporary creation (Ossian, Iolo Morganwg) they tut-tut at the fakers and pat themselves on the back for a job well done
8. We come along and point out the true situation
9. They get all the goodies a grateful nation can shower on them
10. We are buried in unmarked graves along with our theories.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It's a funny thing but the tops of inscribed stones can barely get through the year but the stones last for three thousand five hundred years and the inscriptions last for fifteen hundred

Men Scryfa Country: England Topic: Multi-period

Senseless attack on Men Scryfa as the top is charred and what looks like an attempt to topple it made. An inscribed standing stone in Cornwall. The name Men Scryfa translates simply as 'Inscribed Stone', and is 2 metres high. It probably dates from the Bronze Age and was inscribed around the 5th or 6th century CE to commemorate the death in battle of a royal warrior. The northern face bears the inscription 'RIALOBRANI CUNOVALI FILI' which in Cornish means 'Royal Raven son of the Glorious Prince'. http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=110

"Your highness, where would you like your inscription?"
"Oh, any Bronze Age stone will do."
"Which face?
"Do you know, I'm going to go for north-facing."
"I'd advise east, you highness, it may last fifty years if we do, out here in the open and all."
"No, north-facing. I'll be past caring, who gives a monkeys."
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

The Sheela na gig is a grotesque Fortuna, The Green Man a grotesque Neptune. As christianity became the religion of the empire, they turned the old Roman gods into grotesques. You really need to develop a sense of righteous monotheist Christian superiority when you see these carvings, it's all about knowing there is just one true god who you can put all your faith in.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Can I sum up your theory then, Wiley? (I have to justify my retainer with the Encyclopaedia Britannica.)

1. The Ancients put up images of their Gods
2. The early Christians believed all graven images were sacrilegious so they destroyed them
3. But then put up grotesque versions of them anyway
4. They (the grotesques) survived (the grotesque idols, that is) for the next fifteen hundred years
5. Wiley says the Ancients put up... (and so forth, it's a cycle, as Buddhists say when they get one for their birthday).
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Err no.

I am saying that the older state religion, cult of Augustus, and the worship of other Roman gods, was gradually replaced by the newer state religion called Christianity (Christ=Augustus) and the grotesques (grotesques=Old Roman gods).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I didn't spot the bit where I went wrong.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180  Next

Jump to:  
Page 177 of 180

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in