MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

One of the advantages of being a medium writer is that since you are offering stuff to the general public you go to some lengths to get it all present and correct beforehand. Something I've noticed some of you are paying more attention to as well. But that's not the advantage.

It arises because you go back the next day to see how it has been received. When you discover it hasn't you re-read the story with this in in mind and discover it is in need of considerable improvement. So you do. Then next day ... and so on and so forth. This is quite different to the usual process of second draft, third draft and so on and so forth. By the time anybody ever gets round to reading my stories they will be toppo notcho. Remember the AE triad:

1. Failure is the key to success
2. Success is the graveyard of triumph
3. Think posthumously.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Those marvellous copywriters at Tesco have sent me a memorable sampling of their work

Make mealtimes a brrreeze with 5 for 4 on frozen favourites
Captain Birdseye’s Omega 3 Whitefish fishfingers
McCain’s oven-ready French fries

I don't know how they think them up, and fortunately these are indeed two of my staples (in case children come to stay). Unfortunately I'll never get five of either in my my freezer compartments. I was that close.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
Why don't they make square sausages, then you could just turn them over through ninety degrees rather than chasing them all round the pan trying to get them to sit correctly and ending up with half cooked and half not sausages. Do I have to do everything in this country?

Exactly this!

But I've found the solution! Invest in an Air Fryer. You pop them inside and, 10 minutes later, all evenly cooked to perfection!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I did. They don't.

PS The instructions specifically say not to use air fryers for sausages.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It is a mild disaster losing your TV remote, a major one discovering your TV set doesn't have an on/off switch.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

And a real bitch discovering your TV set has no indication what make it is so you can look it up on the internet.
Ishmael

The wall plug?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I can tell you're not a technical person. The plug provides what we call 'electricity' which is passive in nature. It cannot command the TV set to turn on. However, to put your (and doubtless many others') mind at rest, after moving furniture round, going through refuse bags and being driven to the edge of despair, I found the remote on the floor next to where it normally sits. It had aligned itself with the edge of the table hence my inability to spot it. I am not a practical person.
Ishmael

I've done the same with my glasses. :-)
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
However, to put your (and doubtless many others') mind at rest, after moving furniture round, going through refuse bags and being driven to the edge of despair, I found the remote on the floor next to where it normally sits. It had aligned itself with the edge of the table hence my inability to spot it. I am not a practical person.

You could stick velcro on the back of your TV remote, and then attach it to the arm of your settee.
Grant

I've got a new Sky box. If you lose the remote control you press the red button on the box and the remote beeps. What will they think of next?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This confirms my theory that Sky people are fascists and Virgin people are nauseating liberals.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

One of the disadvantages of only shopping once a week is your fridge tends to get quite full. One of the problems of only shopping once a week at a Tesco Local is that unless you get there five minutes after they've opened they will have run out of litre (is it?) bottles of semi-skimmed milk. You can have the organic variety all day long but, if you won't have anything organic in the house on ideological grounds, you have to make do with two half-litres of semi-skimmed proper milk. But then, because your bottle thingy on the back of the fridge door is full to bursting with bottles of Sodastreamed water, one of them has to go on a shelf in the main part of the fridge. Which is quite full (see above).

So it gets put right at the top underneath the light. Last week it was a bit off by the time I got round to using it. This is surprising since you buy semi-skimmed to avoid this very problem. So it must have been because of its close association with the light waves of the visible spectrum. Thereby finally proving that the light doesn't go off when we shut the fridge door. Something our parents always remained tight-lipped about. Among other things.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I Didn't Know They Cared dept

Would you prefer to not hear about Father's Day this year? Opt out of Father's Day

Hello Michael,
We understand that Father's Day can be a tough time for some, whilst others may not celebrate.
So, if you'd prefer to not receive our emails about Father's Day this year, let us know by tapping
the button above and we'll take care of the rest. Don't worry, if you opt out of Father's Day,
you’ll still hear about our other deals and events.

Zoe Evans
Tesco Customer Engagement Centre

It's never getting engaged that I'd rather not be reminded of, Zoe.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

How do you think I'm doing on medium?

It is not a spoof, it is an extremely accurate recreation of events, insofar as they are known. Views 0
It is not as if the Brits and the French didn't know what was likely to happen. Views 0
While I agree with your general thrust, a distinction should be drawn between a 'desert' in the…Views 0
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 155 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in