MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Matters Arising (The History of Britain Revealed)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 239, 240, 241
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

He is winning me over as a super-enthusiastic, throwing out of ideas type of guy. OK, he is temperamentally just not suited for "the long duree" but isn't that creative tension exactly why he is so entertaining?

Britannia: Rome's Afghanistan? is a representative chapter, wherein he tries to explain the extensive Britannia fortifications, the walls and forts etc, and then, eureka, discovers more Roman glass and pottery in one museum in Normandy than contained within all the museums in Britain put together.

He reminds me of my mate Tony the tiger. Greeaaat!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I entirely agree. It's a case of new brooms sweeping fresh corners even though they're in the wrong room. For those who want to dive into it, the paper can be read/downloaded from here https://www.academia.edu/16346563/The_Frisian_Enigma?email_work_card=view-paper&li=0
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Kindle version of THOBR is available for download in return for two and a half of your English pounds here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Britain-Revealed-English-Language-ebook/dp/B0C2ZV5JQ9/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=the+history+of+britain+revealed&qid=1682006831&s=digital-text&sr=1-1

I haven't read it myself but I'm told it is vastly improved from the printed version and I should know it took me yonks to do it. In fact I sincerely hope it becomes the standard version from now on.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Modern-day Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish people found to have Pictish ancestry

Imputed genomes and haplotype-based analyses of the Picts of early medieval Scotland
reveal fine-scale relatedness between Iron Age, early medieval and the modern people of the UK

PLOS Genetics (2023). DOI: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1010360
https://phys.org/news/2023-04-modern-day-scottish-welsh-northern-irish.html

They have discovered the ancient population (called by them the Picts) are much the same as the present population of Gaelic-speakers. Just as THOBR said they would. Twenty years late, but by academic standards that's not at all bad.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
I haven't read it myself but I'm told it is vastly improved from the printed version and I should know it took me yonks to do it. In fact I sincerely hope it becomes the standard version from now on.

I just read the opening page. It seems to read much closer to the original version!!! And that was what I vastly preferred over the ACORN version.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Theodore of Tarsus is of course Saul (Paul) of Tarsus.

I'm willing to grant that Theodore is Paul, but it's the history that has been relocated to the UK, not the apostle.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

It seems to Wiley that what is now known as Middle English was a highly commendable attempt by Johhny Foreigner to donate a few of their rewritten texts and develop us a writing sytem that would be a good logical phonetic match to our spoken words. Surely we should celebrate their efforts? They at least tried, even if they failed.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

If you can point me to some Middle English texts I will explore your idea.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 239, 240, 241

Jump to:  
Page 241 of 241

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in