MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Questions Of The Day (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 257, 258, 259 ... 300, 301, 302  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

The transition from America to China as the Hegemon Power is happening much more rapidly than was thought possible in the absence of a war. Traditionally it costs states a lot to become Top Dog, so far China hasn't paid a penny. Even worse news, from the point of view of the rest of the world, is that it is quite evident from Xi's policies that China is not prepared to be a Mercantilist Hegemon, on the twentieth century model of the US or the nineteenth century one of the UK. And just to round off the bad news: the Chinese are vastly more proficient than either of the two previous candidates, Russia and Germany.

The outcome cannot be prevented, the process though can be managed. America has to be in there pitching, the big question is why are Britain and Australia involved?
Grant

What are these non-mercantile policies of Xi? He hasn’t bombed any countries as far as I can see, and any territorial disputes are with neighbours. China has never bothered with expanding beyond its borders except to protect the nation, ie Tibet.

Pretty soon we are going to see a Russia-China pact. Russia supplies the oil and food; China the weapons.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
USA: It's finished as the world policeman -- it's been a grotesque failure every time it's tried

Compared to whom?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, I see I worded that wrongly. What I meant was that the USA has failed the last few times it tried.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

What are these non-mercantile policies of Xi?

This is not what I said but sticking to the mercantile for a moment, the 'belt and road' programme would be a typical policy of a mercantile hegemon. It would be impossible to conceive of such a thing unless you were, or on the verge of becoming, a hegemonic power. The current hegemon would stop you. The USA has barely taken notice.

He hasn’t bombed any countries as far as I can see

He isn't the hegemon yet.

and any territorial disputes are with neighbours

Territorial disputes are always with neighbours but pre-Xi these disputes tended to be defensive e.g. with India in the 1960's, under Xi they tend to be aggressive e.g. with India in the last few years. I am confident there will be 're-adjustments' with Russia and possibly the incorporation of Mongolia in the future.

China has never bothered with expanding beyond its borders

Nor did, for instance, the USA after 1945. Territorial expansion is in any case, vide Russia and Ukraine, not something that sensible Great Powers go in for nowadays. The incorporation of the entire South China Sea, you would have to agree, is pretty breathtaking.

except to protect the nation, ie Tibet.

I hardly think Tibet was to protect the nation and in any case was pre-Xi. The Roman Empire famously expanded each time to protect the territory it acquired last time, but I think this model is outmoded.

Pretty soon we are going to see a Russia-China pact. Russia supplies the oil and food; China the weapons.

Maybe, maybe not. It is impossible to know how things will shake out when this sizeable Great Power shift has played out.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is the key to it all.

Australian nuclear submarine program to cost up to $368b as AUKUS details unveiled in the US
By ABC defence correspondent Andrew Greene in San Diego and political reporter Matthew Doran

You've got to work out why a medium-to-tiddly power wants to spend this kinda dough on submarines. Not by the way nuclear submarines in the sense of nuclear-armed ones, just nuclear-powered ones, i.e. ones that allow you to stay out and keep down a bit longer than conventional subs do.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You will recall this all harks back to last year when Australia 'suddenly' announced it was ending its long-standing programme of buying/building French nuclear submarines and switching over to buying/building US/UK nuclear submarines. The French were furious, not just at the loss of such a lucrative contract, but because it had been sprung on them out of a clear blue sky. The French being furious with the Australians could be borne, their being furious with the Brits and the Americans was serious Great Power politics.

Why did the Australians do it? Why did they switch and why didn't they go through the usual process of "Je m'excuse, Marianne, but domestic and international considerations means, regretfully, we must part. Let us discuss a severance package so we can stay good friends"? Only something big, something super-secret could possibly account for this.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Super-secret means even I don't know so from here on in we are in the realms of learned speculation. The Americans understand they cannot take on the Chinese

1. In the Americas -- where the Chinese are largely absent
2. In Europe -- where the Chinese are largely absent
3. In the Middle East -- where the Chinese are largely absent
4. In Central Asia -- where the Americans are (now) largely absent
5. In Africa -- where the Chinese are racing away

Which leaves the Far East, Australasia and the bits in between. Here at least the Chinese are most certainly present and the Americans are not just present, they have a stackful of allies and a vast military infrastructure to go with it. So now what?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The one area the west still has a lead over China is in submarine technology -- not just nuke missile ones, all sorts. So a deal was done. These are the basics:

1. The Americans need Perth/Freemantle as a submarine base (like it was in WW2)
2. The Australians would prefer not to advertise to the Chinese they have become Airstrip One for the Yanks
3. The Brits want to talk the talk but they can't afford to walk the walk so they've been contracted to build some of the new subs
4. To camouflage everything a bit of sub-fitting out has been sub-contracted to the Australians
5. Everything basically is going to paid for by the Yanks
6. All submarines in the Far East, whichever flag happens to be flying on the conning tower, will be under American control

Look out China, the barbie-dolls are coming!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The DUP are a right spectacle. No matter how disgusting the Ulster Unionists have been since day one, one always had to admire their political astuteness. Not any more. Wandering around like headless chickens.

Everyone knows the Windsor deal is the best deal anyone's ever going to get
Everyone knows it puts Ulster into a spectacularly advantageous position -- a foot in both camps without having to do the splits
Everyone knows the real objection is that by accepting Windsor the DUP will have to powershare under not over Sinn Fein

Actually, now I come to think of it, the DUP have been rather astute. They'll get Windsor but not Sinn Fein. Who cares if Northern Ireland won't have a government? It's not their problem. The Brits will come to the rescue, as they always do. Though now it's the EU and the Brits.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This demand for 'the complete re-organisation of the Met' is getting weirder and weirder. The latest reason? "It's racist, sexist and homophobic" according to a report from Lady Somebody or Other. I bet she's right at the sharp end. Can I just point out one or two inescapable facts about the police

1. They're always a bit behind the times. Nobody else would want to put on a uniform and walk about doing nothing very much.
2. They are never a long way behind the times. Policing involves consent so they can't afford to be too dinosaurish.

When it comes to racism, sexism and homophobism, the Met Police are about average. More enlightened than some provincial forces, less enlightened than some foreign forces. If they were completely re-organised they would come out the other side 'about average'. If Baroness von Hampstead had said the Met Police were 'inefficient, corrupt and overpowerful' then maybe I would support a demand for their complete re-organisation. But not for this. Sorry, illiberal police are just something you have to put up with.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

It is really a bit of a bugger, when most other nations are seeking to improve their Police, they can send off their researchers to a world leader, like England, to resolve this, yet we are denied that possibility so we end up trying to model ourselves on the United States (not so good from what I hear). Still, we could maybe hop across the Channel as I understand they have very good diversity programmes amongst the gendarmerie around Marseilles, that is apart from when they are batoning Africans. Italy is another fine example of enlightened police work, I hear from my friends in the Mafia, they are remarkably sesnsitive and don't want to convict you. Spain unfortunately is a no gracias, err, look at what they did to the Catalonian nationalists. Still, Canadian police are remarkably good in some diversity areas, eg the Mounties do love their transexuals, but damn, they still hates their truckers, and we Brits have lots of those heading off to Dover.

Not as easy as I first thought.
Grant

Ulster is growing faster than the rest of the UK. That’s not much of course, but maybe not having another element of devolved government is a good thing?
Grant

The Met business is crazy. If you examine the emails of 10,000 people of course you are going to find racists, bigots, psychos etc.

The funniest thing is the wretch of a commissioner. Does he really think that the way to improve the Met is to slag off his serving officers?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is the great fallacy of heresy hunts. Every individual has said heretical things in the past without being a heretic themselves. All organisations have heretics within them without being heretic themselves.

All societies have heresy-hunters that love burning heretics at the stake.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 257, 258, 259 ... 300, 301, 302  Next

Jump to:  
Page 258 of 302

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in