MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Tom Sawyer Principle (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

So it looks as though poor old Nadhim Zahawi is for the chop. Not for what he did but because he wouldn't explain in a timely manner what he did. It is a salutary tale with lessons for us all, viz

1. Why do people with more money than they can reasonably spend constantly use tax avoidance devices that bring them nothing but grief in order that they might have marginally more money than they can reasonably spend?
2. Who knew that Nadhim Zahawi knew Peter Kellner?
3. We all first knew Nadhim Zahawi as the weird-but-effective bloke who was wheeled out to make excuses for the government even though he wasn't a member of the government.
4. We then suddenly knew Nadhim Zahawi as the second most important person in the land, the Chancellor of the Exchequer.
5. We then knew Nadhim Zahawi as not a member of the government.
6. But the Chairman of the Tory Party
7. 'With a seat at the cabinet table'.
8. Though not for long it would seem.
9. Another case of tall poppy syndrome
10. Except this time all his own fault.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I trust everyone spotted the 'bogus list' on Newsnight's piece on the 'scandal' of power companies breaking into your house without a by-your-leave to fit a pay-as-you-go meter. With the whole of Britain to choose from, the BBC's intrepid researchers came up with a mystery woman called Sarah, who could not show her face because she didn't want her employers knowing she couldn't pay her gas and electricity bills. So she had a job, did Sarah.

But she had 'mobility issues'. Unspecified but important because there's a clause in the breaking-and-entering laws about people with long-term health problems -- so Sarah qualified on that count. Newsnight said. Why couldn't she pay her bills? She lived alone so presumably she spent her wages on ... other stuff. We were not told what. The power company went through all the hoops -- letters, visits, magistrates application -- and for what? Not even to get the money owed to them. Just to get Sarah to pay for what she was going to use in the future. Disgraceful! Shouldn't ought to be allowed.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Newsnight ran a long piece about why we're doing so badly compared to the US and Germany and arrowed in on the 50-64 age group which, since Covid, have taken to becoming 'economically inactive' even more big style than they usually do. Now as it happens I spent the years 50-64 being economically inactive (in their terms, I was working my ollocks off writing books etc) so I am in a position to tell Newsnight why it is, and how to cure the problem.

The British government wants there to be full employment at all times (like the US and Germany) so it arrows in on all sectors of the population who have a tendency to prefer being economically inactive to getting a job i.e. 50-64 year olds,. It then says to them

Take your pick from:
being self-employed
being long-term sick
'preparing for retirement'
being mildly harassed for not getting a job
and we'll give you a stack of benefits including paying your rent.

Since fifty to sixty-four year olds don't have kids to support, have built up all the accoutrements of comfortable living, no longer have ambitions workwise and have recently witnessed first-hand what life is like being economically inactive during Covid, they are queuing up at the Jobs Centre to say

"Where do I sign?"
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
Newsnight ran a long piece about why we're doing so badly compared to the US and Germany and arrowed in on the 50-64 age group

Yeah it's a total disaster, we only have the fifth largest economy in the world, it has really all gone Pete Tong since 1870.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Now the divine Marina Hyde is at it.

On being confronted with the fact that debt collectors in its pay are breaking into the homes of vulnerable customers to forcibly install prepayment meters, British Gas this week summoned the full force of theatrical contrition to wail, "This is not who we are."

Let me correct one or two infelicities here. They are not debt collectors, they are gas engineers. The homes are not lived in by vulnerable people, they are lived in by anyone who'd rather not pay for their energy. They are not therefore 'customers', they are 'thieves'. BG are not forcibly doing anything, they are gaining entry via a court order because the person using the energy won't let them in but won't stop using the energy either. The engineers are simply swapping one piece of BG gadgetry (an ordinary meter) for another piece of BG gadgetry (a pre-paid meter).

All this has been brought about because energy companies (uniquely, I think, except for landlords) are not allowed to stop supplying consumers with their goods and services on the footling grounds that the consumer won't pay for them and has no intention of paying for them. The nerve! And one last bit of nerve from Ms Hyde

The owner of of British Gas expects to increase its earnings eightfold this year

Did you spot the switch? Yes, that's right, British Gas like all the energy suppliers is losing money hand over fist. Not because of errant gas-users but because the regulator is always behind-hand in allowing them to pass on the price hikes to the consumers.

There are however, and mutatis mutandis, a whole bunch of energy companies that are making money hand over fist by providing energy wholesale to BG and the other retail providers (who have to pay the market rate not the regulator's rate). Occasionally one of the latter owns one of the former. BG (presumably) being one of them. Nicely slid, Marina.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Yeah it's a total disaster, we only have the fifth largest economy in the world, it has really all gone Pete Tong since 1870.

We snooze, we lose.

India Overtakes UK to Become Fifth Biggest Economy

https://www.statista.com/chart/28258/gdp-of-india-and-united-kingdom/
Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Mick Harper wrote:
Newsnight ran a long piece about why we're doing so badly compared to the US and Germany and arrowed in on the 50-64 age group

India Overtakes UK to Become Fifth Biggest Economy

We snooze, we lose.

You are right, the sky has fallen in. I didn't realise things were that bad. I was looking for a small ray of sunshine in the everlasting dark. I am so sorry.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
I was looking for a small ray of sunshine in the everlasting dark. I am so sorry.

How about this?
Good news chaps!
http://www.applied-epistemology.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=57215&highlight=#57215
Mick Harper
Site Admin

One despairs of African incompetence. The British built the Gezira scheme in Sudan in the days of Empah -- a million acres of irrigated (by the White and Blue Niles) land that was formerly mainly unproductive. It produced wheat enough to feed the Sudanese and cotton enough to provide them with an export cash crop. It practically runs itself, just a modicum of care and attention at the national level and making sure the farmers have enough left over to keep it running at the local level.

Brits go, Sudanese take over, Gezira reverts slowly to mainly unproductive land.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Just wait until the British are gone from Britain.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I finished listening to Penelope Fitzgerald's The Bookshop, turned to Ukraine One Year On and was struck by the parallels. The first is the story of how an unassuming but terribly nice woman gets forced out by the town bully. The second is supposed to be the opposite, but I wonder. Generally speaking it is not good that prevails but the strong.

We like to think that we are both but we are neither.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The ANC really are something. South Africa is losing two hundred million a day because of 'intermittent load shedding', what the rest of us call power cuts. These are not, as they are elsewhere, because of unforeseen and temporary circumstances, it is because thirty years ago the ANC inherited a superb power infrastructure, had to do some elementary maintenance on it and a bit of renewal for time-expired power stations. Or they could have just turned the whole thing over to Westinghouse or whoever to run the show using the money people pay for the power they use in the normal way.

But no, the ANC weren't quite up to it. They had to keep it all in their own hands so they could dip into the conduit that runs from consumers paying their bills to power companies keeping the lights on. Meaning sooner or later there wouldn't be enough to keep all the lights on. But don't worry, ol' Ramaphosa -- the biggest dipper in sub-Saharan Africa -- is going to do something about it.

And the South African consumer is going to do something about it by keeping the ANC in power for the next thirty years.
Wile E. Coyote

This reflects good long term trends, unless you are a climate catastrophist, ie that a lot more folks, many who previously did not have electricity, now have access. Those that did have access are using lots more. The price of electricity for many users is less than the cost of supply. It's a win, win for everybody. Govt, State Company, users, districts (many don't pay at all!). The only problem is that every time you appoint a new C Exec he describes the current model as not sustainable. So you have a high turnover rate in C Execs. It's clearly a decision for "after the next election" so it's really annoying that these Chief Execs are allowing this to happen now.
Wile E. Coyote

The Home Office recently took a very sensible step of streamlining the immigration process, to get the numbers waiting down rather than calling folks in for a interview, they were going to now get folks to fill in forms themselves.

Predictable outrage from all those that saw this as a way of not doing proper immigration checks.

So, Home Office responds to public criticism by making sure the paper form is extra thorough and requires lots of explanations and evidence.

Result: the poor asylum seeker will need help filling in forms from their solicitor (kerching public legal aid dosh) and then, as we all know as solicitors don't give real answers other than "My client informs me that around about this time etc ", this will then need verifying by an interview....

So we have now invented a new step in the asylum process: a fast track triage for folks from certain countries that will cost the taxpayer more than the last slow track method.

Eventually when this fails, they will go the way of the superfast digital application, supply the asylum seeker with a laptop, then allow the computer to provisionally decide the application, using the latest software. Of course they will need the old safeguard, ie calling into Croydon for an old fashioned face to face, it's just going to be 3 years after the application was started.

Such is modern Britain. The good news is that all this prepares the asylum seeker for a future life of not being able to see a doctor.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Predictable outrage, from all those that saw this as a way of not doing proper immigration checks.

There would be even more outrage (from certain quarters) if they did do proper immigration checks. It is not contested that, technically speaking, 99% of immigrants would be sent home if 'proper' checks were done.

So, Home Office responds to public criticism by making sure the paper form is extra thorough and requires lots of explanations and evidence. Result: the poor asylum seeker will need help filling in forms from their solicitor

I agree that means another six months or so will be tacked onto the process. Let's not forget that 99% of immigrants want the process to take as long as possible.

(kerching public legal aid dosh) and then, as we all know as solicitors don't give real answers other than "My client informs me, that around about this time etc", this will then need verifying by an interview....

Solicitors will do no such thing if they are doing their job properly (i.e. for their clients). They will 'lose' the form down the back of the filing cabinet rather than actually fill it in: "My client informs me he's bang to rights and should be on the first plane to Rwanda."

So we have now invented a new step in the asylum process: a fast track triage for folks from certain countries that will cost the taxpayer more than the last slow track method.

It is interesting that such a system is not the first stage in the triage, i.e. on Folkestone beach. "Oh, you're from Nigeria... here's your ticket to Rwanda."

Eventually when this fails they will go the way of the superfast digital application, supply the asylum seeker with a laptop, then allow the computer to provisionally decide the application, using the latest software. Of course they will need the old safeguard, ie calling into Croydon for an old fashioned face to face, it's just going to be 3 years after the application was started.

I think this will be the case. We have to accept that is the reality of modern immigration. As long as they are not too visible (or anyway visible only in seedy run-down seaside resorts that are not visible to the rest of us) nobody much minds. And we do need a helluvalot of immigrants.

Such is modern Britain. The good news is that all this prepares the asylum seeker for a future life of not being able to see a doctor.

I get the impression they don't much need doctors (or anything else the state provides) and/or make their own arrangements if they do. There's a lot to be said for undocumented migrants. Cheaper labour than the documented kind.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

Jump to:  
Page 33 of 46

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in