MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
COIN (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

The Argonaut was built in such a way that allowed her to approach shallow waters without floundering. The construction was such that the mast, the rudder, the anchor and the oars could all be removed and the ship then hauled ashore on cylindrical logs.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

That was cribbed directly from Swedish ships on their way to Kievan Rus via Lake Ladoga and other half-land/half not places.
Wile E. Coyote

There has been a paradigm shift in the way we, (well Wiley), shops. It has all come about because of the Covid pandemic thingy and shops and stores decided to encourage, or insist, on card tapping as one way to avoid the spread of the virus. Many smart consumers now rely solely on their smart phones for their shopping. Others less smart, like Coyote, now use a nifty combo of Zapper and Master card. Happily there is now no need to fiddle around, with those horrible plastic notes at the check out till. For shops it reduces costs. For consumers it is quicker and you can see how much you spend as you go. Let's just call it progress. Hang on, it's a capitalist plot to monitor your shopping trends, to make you buy more, and reduce shop staff numbers.....I guess I will go back to queuing. Damn.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Remind me why we are so opposed to people knowing our shopping habits.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
Remind me why we are so opposed to people knowing our shopping habits.

A few days back, I was infomed, that a couple of the plastic cat feeders we use are suferring greatly from the "hard water" we have around here. To my eyes, our feral cats don't seem that bothered, and happily lick out of puddles, and ponds, and mouse, but according to Mrs W, this unsightly scale is actually pretty dangerous for catty health, which meant unless it was resolved it was then getting pretty dangerous for Wiley's health.

Anyway, I started a swiftish internet search on Mrs W's smart phone for "plastic cheap cat feeders" "Plastic cat feeder less than £2.99" to no avail, so I informed her there was nothing available, but would take a look next time I was in town. 20 minutes later Mrs W is telling me that she has purchaed an Automatic Cat feeder from Amazon for £79.99 as a helpful advertisement had come up on her phone.

So please don't tell me that this tracking personal shopping thing isn't getting out of hand. I am now £75.00 or so out of pocket.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I would get rid of Mrs W and keep the smart phone. Tell her.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Someone's finally done what we're always asking and carried out a scientific test. It is up to us to decide now. All kinds of alarms bells were ringing for me, so let's hear from you. [I'll leave the report, from Heritage Daily, en clair for ease of reading.]

A Roman coin, previously thought to be a forgery, has now been authenticated and depicts a long-lost Roman emperor.
A study led by the University College London (UCL) was researching a coin housed at The Hunterian collection at the University of Glasgow.

Researchers compared the coin with a handful of genuine coins of the same design, unearthed in 1713 in Transylvania, Romania.

The team found minerals cemented in place by silica on the coin’s surface, indicating that it was buried over a long period of time and then exposed to air. The coin also showed a pattern of wear, suggesting that it was in active circulation during the Roman period.

The coin depicts a previously unknown emperor named Sponsian, who may have been a local army officer forced to assume supreme command in the Roman province of Dacia, a territory overlapping with modern-day Romania. Archaeological studies suggest that the region was cut off from the rest of the Roman empire around AD 260, before being evacuated between AD 271 and 275.

Coinage has always been an important symbol of power and authority. Recognising this, and unable to receive official issues from the mint in Rome, Sponsian seems to have authorised the creation of locally produced coins, some featuring an image of his face, to support a functioning economy in his isolated frontier territory.

Lead author Professor Paul N. Pearson (UCL Earth Sciences) said: “Scientific analysis of these ultra-rare coins rescues the emperor Sponsian from obscurity. Our evidence suggests he ruled Roman Dacia, an isolated gold mining outpost, at a time when the empire was beset by civil wars and the borderlands were overrun by plundering invaders.”

Only four coins featuring Sponsian are known to have survived, all apparently originally from the 1713 hoard. Another is in Brukenthal National Museum in Sibiu, Romania.

Curator of Numismatics at The Hunterian, Jesper Ericsson, said: “This has been a really exciting project for The Hunterian and we’re delighted that our findings have inspired collaborative research with museum colleagues in Romania. Not only do we hope that this encourages further debate about Sponsian as a historical figure, but also the investigation of coins relating to him held in other museums across Europe.”

University College London https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0274285
Wile E. Coyote

Stylistically it's a barbarous radiate, ie local imitation of Roman coinage.

All these so-called enigmatic features, including bungled legends and historically mixed motifs, ie a weird mixture from both republican and imperal eras, which are now being brought into play as evidence of forgery, on this coin often occur on bog standard UK barbarous radiates!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, but if you have a Classical design before you -- whether you are a barbarian radiate or a modern forger -- why would you mix'n'match?
Wile E. Coyote

The radiate crown https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiate_crown = sun solar eastern.

So ortho has them as local coinage around 250AD (not old forgeries, as way too "barbarous" or too crude to pass as, err, genuine Roman). Something like pocket change. Manufacture is I think by taking examples of old coinage in circulation, so a ragbag mixture, and then mold and cast which gives poorer barbarous images, rather than by use of dies, which would give sharper newly struck ...more striking images.
Wile E. Coyote

Another pushback on authenticity, by those that consider this a fake, is that there are no historical references to an emperor called Sponsian, which of course really freaks the historians out as they tend to consider what is in the scripts as the ultimate arbiter.

Those in favour of authenticity have invented a short lived usurper.

The Wiley etymology for those that like this sort of thing (ie Wiley only) is looks like Sponsian =Spon = Spend would fit well with a coin.

A sponsor is a type of guarantor.....if you accept this coin it will retain its wealth? Just me alone again. Bit sad.

If it was really imperial wouldn't it have an AVG (Augustus) on it? Looks like it has an IMP (imperator) at the top?
Wile E. Coyote

The weird thing is that it's gold. Conventional ortho is you do not get gold barbarous radiates.

So as it's gold...... this reinforces belief, ie Imperial for believers or fake for disbelievers.

But it might just mean that there is a lot of gold in Transylvania, and the locals were using what was available? Biggest gold reserves in Europe so they say.
Wile E. Coyote

I wouldn't go much on wear and tear, equals Roman, forgers are easily able to forge wear and tear. I doubt it is much more difficult than sticking it in a sack with other coins, rocks, etc. and continually shaking it for a few days. Not that I have tried. Honest.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
If it was really imperial wouldn't it have an AVG (Augustus) on it? Looks like it has an IMP (imperator) at the top?

The Classical dictionary defines imperator as a victorious commander

a generic title for Roman commanders, became a special title of honour. After a victory the general was saluted imperator by his soldiers. He assumed the title after his name until the end of his magistracy or until his triumph.

which might indicate the Sponsian coin was struck to commemorate a military success, important at the time even if unrecorded by later chronicles?
Wile E. Coyote

Hatty wrote:

a generic title for Roman commanders, became a special title of honour. After a victory the general was saluted imperator by his soldiers. He assumed the title after his name until the end of his magistracy or until his triumph.

which might indicate the Sponsian coin was struck to commemorate a military success, important at the time even if unrecorded by later chronicles?

On planet Wiley, this commander might be a hero, heracles type so might not have existed, and so the battles are imaginary. What was needed was a mythos that guaranteed the value of the coins in circulation. Folks are coinquered through trade, not conquered in battles.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next

Jump to:  
Page 49 of 52

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in