MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Jawohl, mein greneral. Out of interest, who's your Number One?
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

I am going for Thomas Fairfax.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I doubt that Oliver Cromwell would agree with you. "You're only as good as your cavalry commander," he would have said. "You're only as good as your army," is what I always say. But if we are being parochial, I would put forward Baden Powell. Compare Mafeking with Ladysmith and Kimberley.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Sonia Watson on the BBC Radio Essex breakfast show interviews Joe McNamara who built the Stonehenge replica near Brentwood, Essex, listen via the comments on our page. A huge concrete 'homage' to Stonehenge in Brentwood can stay for at least 18 months giving its creator time to enter it into the prestigious Turner Prize art competition. http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=57512

Remember Rachel Whiteread's Inside Out House? After winning the Prize and it becoming a must-see for the thronging crowds of art-aficionados, she was ordered to demolish it forthwith. "We cannot have too many carparks," explained the local planners.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

When you've reached the end of a several years' long journey when everything was subordinated to a single overriding task that will define your place in the cosmos, and you are finally able to turn your attention to all those things you have been neglecting all that time, what do you do when, forty minutes later and they've all been done, do you do now?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Marina Hyde, about Liz Truss, wrote:
But imagine standing on stage and barking out an actual list of your enemies. It's a bit Ernst Röhm, isn't it?

I'm quite used to references to people I've never heard of in the Guardian -- mostly nineteen-nineties hip-hop artists, I discover when I look them up -- and I take it phlegmatically as a penalty of old age. But who among Ms Hyde's readership would have heard of Ernst Röhm, the leader of the Nazi Brown Shirts? Maybe more than I think. Guardian volk are generally well up on fascist beasts. And, yes, Ernst was a bit of a rabble rouser so the comparison holds.

On the other hand he was gay and murdered by Heinrich Himmler's Black Shirts on Adolf Hitler's orders during the Night of the Long Lives, so it may be Ms Hyde is saying something else to the cognoscenti. Whether it is a coded signal to Jacob Rees-Mogg to do his duty is not for me to say.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Should I enter Revisionist Historiography for the Turner Prize? They are, let's face it, running out of "Good grief, what are they going to choose next?" items. There are two references to Turner in it which is more than can be said for many previous winners.

PS Turner himself wouldn't have got past the cleaning lady who sorts the entries out every year.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have found one thing to do. Make more and more deranged posts in the Cabinet of Curiosities thread in the New Concepts section of the discussion forum on the Applied Epistemology Library's website.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

But I've decided to stop doing so.
Wile E. Coyote

There is a neat plot twist to the tale of "Richard III’s remains being found under a car park in Leicester".

Steve (Alan Partridge) Coogan has made a comedy film about the discovery, and it is royally pissing off folks at Leicester University. The film centres on Phillipa Langley, a sort of amateur historian (hurrah), who was looking for a lost church and walks across what is now a famous carpark. Phillipa gets goosebumps and becomes convinced that she has walkeed over a grave....Not surprisngly, the council and university are not keen to dig the carpark up. So Langley heads off the next year to famous carpark and the same thing happens again! Much determination follows, against academia.

Anyway Leicester University feel they have been badly treated by the film, as they say they worked closely with Langley. Langley feels she has been treated badly as the university have not given her goosebumps, and her research, the credit they were due.

This explains a lot. I shall have to see the film.

Carbon dating shows the bones are not Richard's, unless he heroically stuck to a fish diet.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Surprising Stat of the Week
Sport England research estimates that 95% of black adults don't swim.

Not sure whether don't swim equates with can't swim and I would like to know what proportion of white adults 'swim' in this context, but even so it's hard to fathom. Where's the sociology? West Indians having an over-affinity with beaches? Muslims with reservations about disrobing? White English following the example of George IV?

Come on, multiculturalists, let's have some action!
Wile E. Coyote

I have now watched "The Lost King" it's a bit like the excellent " Their Finest" where a female script writer and a team of ageing actors try to produce a world war propaganda film, facing rampant sexism, political interference, jealousy etc. By the end they overcome differences to produce their very finest. The twist in "The Lost King" is eveyrone shows their worst all the way through, and this has continued afterwards. Having produced their "we have found the lost King Richard myth", all involved have tried to claim the credit.

It works as a cautionary fable about everthing that is fake and wrong in modern Britain.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

BBC News wrote:
A university academic has said he is likely to take legal action against the makers of a new film about Richard III, which he said was "littered with inaccuracies". Richard Taylor was part of the University of Leicester team that found and identified the king 10 years ago. A character bearing his name features in the film The Lost King, starring Steve Coogan and Sally Hawkins. But Mr Coogan has said: "The university are responsible for their own undoing."

I don't like lining up alongside Steve Coogan (though I've had a yearning for Sally Hawkins for an offaly long time) so I shall keep my powder dry until I see it. Which may take an offaly long time. How dare they release it in cinemas. Whatever next, troupes in caps and bells capering on the village green?
Grant

It’s not really worth paying twelve quid to watch the Lost King. It’s really just an undemanding Sunday night TV movie full of cliches and rather poor writing from Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope.

It does criticise academia (the university of Leicester anyway) which is entertaining, but apparently there are libel actions coming up. Those will be more fun than the film.

My wife fell asleep during the screening. That’s usually my trick
Mick Harper
Site Admin

If we apply for an ex parte locus standi on whether it is Richard III (lead counsel: W E Coyote LLD, QC, KC) it will be even more fun. An English Heritage grant should take care of our costs if we lose. If they decline to do so, we can always open our files viz

In 1794 a meeting between Giacomo Casanova and the Prince de Ligne took place in the Austrian castle of Dux that led to the publication of Casanova’s famous book The Story of My Life. There are puzzling aspects to this meeting, not the least being why the Prince de Ligne, a powerful figure in the Habsburg Empire, with a dynastic claim to the British throne rather better than the current incumbent’s, should find himself in the company of the castle’s librarian, even a librarian as colourful as Casanova.

I'll play myself with Sally Hawkins as Hatty.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 134 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in