MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
Why youse guys lionise Abraham Lincoln will forever be a mystery to me. What a jerk.

I'll be interested in the response. (If there is any, though I've been getting a bit of airplay lately.)

You're mastering the Internet.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

You're right. I got no responses at all.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

There's not many people that can fall asleep with the TV remote on their chest and find it still there when they wake up. It's called the sleep of the just.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Do We Have Our National Priorities Right? (No 664)

Because the AEL index name clerk was away with her fairies, I needed to check Francis Walsingham's first name (it's Francis, by the way) on Google. Only to have to wade through acres and acres of stuff about some dead and alive hole in Norfolk with a Catholic shrine before any mention of England's greatest spymaster (of the ones working for England). I thought Walsingham had put a stop to all that.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I can be contacted here if anyone needs me

Michael Harper | History of Art | Johns Hopkins University
Department of the History of Art. About. Fields of Study. Faculty Books. News and Announcements. Undergraduate. Major & Minor Requirements. Undergraduate Courses. BA/MA Program.

https://arthist.jhu.edu/directory/michael-harper/ - Rank 94 - this is relevant | irrelevant
Mick Harper
Site Admin

All's well that ends with Zoffany.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Can you tell me why all the youngsters are sniggering at me?

I am simply enquiring, after they have all told me they are going on to study Criminology.

"Are you thinking about joining the police?"

Puzzling.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I've hit an all-time low in my non-understanding of modern telecommunications. I want to explore Kindle Direct Publishing for the new book and I've got an Amazon account as required, and have done for years, but they insist on a mobile phone number to send an authentication code. Fair enough, quite standard. Only they refuse to recognise my mobile phone number. I've tried every combination of 07, 7, 44, +44 but nothing works. And of course they haven't got a little 'having problems' button. I was this close to being the world's latest literary sensation.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I cracked it. Unbeknownst to anyone but the software designer, you had to not consult the list of country ID's they had thoughtfully provided you had to select the country ID and then put in your own number (always remembering not to put the 0 at the front). Some people say I'm a genius, I prefer 'indefatigable'. An indefatigable genius.

After that it was reasonably plain sailing for about an hour as inter alia I tracked down what a SWIFT number and an IBAN number was, and then by trial and error entered them in the correct format, until at the very end, when I was feeling really cocky because I could see 'agree and sign' was just inches away, it asked my for my TIN. It only took me a further half hour to discover that you could disable both choices offered and have 30% deducted at source by the US feds. Or not, it wasn't clear. That's what Al Capone said of course but I won't be in his tax bracket so I can't see them extraditing me. But if they ever try, I can consult Jules in Bellmarsh just down the road. They'll be in for a fight, I can tell you.

My only problem now is... no, we've both had enough. Writing the book's the easy part.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Sometimes I get sent (via M J Harper and variants) papers that even a polymath like myself cannot entirely grasp eg

Effects of Land Use on Hellbenders (Cryptobranchus alleganiensis) at Multiple Levels and Efficacy of Artificial Shelters as a Monitoring Tool

Hellbenders, it turns out, are a kind of salamander.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Guess who plans to have this on his tombstone?

Unpublished novelist
and pedestrian
Mourned by few
Scorned by many

Wrong! It was Adrian Mole.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I had a dream last night about how to spell archiopiscopal. If I was still in full-time Freudian analysis, I could have found out what it meant. It's normally about sex but, one never knows, it may have been about my unresolved relationship with father-figures. Even my actual father. But I have emailed Canterbury and York to check whether there is such a word in case it's a simple error on the part of my subconscious.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have just received an email saying

Give people you trust access to your account
introducing our new authorised user service. Replies to this e...

It says it's from my bank. Should I open it?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Hold the front page! I'm joining the Kindle Revolution. With the book coming out on Kindle Direct Publishing I checked it out and found, to my very great surprise, that people have to pay more than pennies for a download -- typically maybe half the price of the hard copy. So I decided we must take the plunge. I say 'I' because "Should we think about a Kindle version, Hatty?" "What's Kindle?"

Realising I would need a Kindle to make sure the book was kindlised properly I checked out how much they cost. £179, it said. No way, I said. Twenty sovs arriving today, said Argos. Wish me luck, I've got a feeling I'm in for immense trauma. Why oh why didn't I have kids?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

cheapest kindle e-readers

Kindle Paperwhite Tablet
Case - Black £17.99

Amazon Kindle Fabric Tablet
Cover - Charcoal Black £19.99

Amazon Kindle 2020 Wi-Fi 8GB E-Reader -
White £69.99

Going with my standard policy of always buying the second cheapest on the market I am now the proud possessor of a charcoal black Kindle cover but not unfortunately a Kindle.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 131 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in