MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Questions Of The Day (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 226, 227, 228 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Just on a point of information, none of them is 'fleeing violence'. They are fleeing from France.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
Just on a point of information, none of them is 'fleeing violence'. They are fleeing from France.

Correct, we now have no way of returning them to a safe country within the EU, that is to a country through which they have travelled, as we are not part of the Dublin Agreeement. So the method that the Germans and French are using to send asylum applicants back to so-called points of entry, eg Hungary and Greece etc, is not available to Britain. When we were a member of the Dublin Agreeement it actually resulted in a net inflow (not outflow) of refugees to the UK as the triage process took into account not just country of entry, but where the family of the refugee under consideration, eg his/her husband/ wife, might already be living. So we decided not to sign up for this when leaving the EU.
Wile E. Coyote

I actually wouldn't be surprised that within the Rwandan deal if there are not clauses for Britain to take Refugees who have actually made applications to Rwanda but who are particularly vulnerable, or who have family in Britain, so over time we actually end up with a net inflow.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

If a country has just experienced an externally-generated inflation rate of ten per cent, it follows that the country is ten per cent worse off. Every citizen is ten per cent worse off -- or should be if there is any natural justice. Let's see

1. Pensioners will get a ten per cent raise in pensions because of the triple lock. This is completely absurd since a) pensioners are citizens too and should take their licks b) pensioner households are now marginally better off than working households and (c) pensioners are not important for the economic health of the nation in general.

2. Effectively-unionised workers will get something near ten per cent rises. This is absurd. What did they ever do to earn special treatment apart from being effectively unionised?

3. Everybody else will have to take a greater than ten per cent hit because of the above. This is so absurd I refuse to itemise further.
Grant

What the media don’t want to admit is that because of Brexit those who work in the cash economy are much better off. They’re getting 10 per cent and more.

Those who work on contracts in non-unionised jobs are struggling. The answer is to get another job - and they will
Mick Harper
Site Admin

His charmed life continues. If Boris had undergone his test by confidence today after the loss of Tiverton and Wakefield, he would have been swept from office. As it is, it was last week and he's safe for a year. By then everyone will have forgotten Tiverton and Wakefield.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

My prediction about the futility of applying sanctions to Russia has proved to be correct. It is true that banning Russian oil exports to the West has reduced it to a trickle but that has sent oil prices through the roof so Russia is making far more oil money than it was pre-sanctions by exporting oil to other countries. The West meanwhile is getting all antsy about Ukraine because oil prices have gone through the roof.

NATO/EU/Big Seven (they are all gradually melding into one) have now decided to ban Russian gold exports. Gold prices will go through the roof and Russia will make even more money -- everyone in the world loves gold. This is all good news for Russian oil and gold reserves since exporting less/making more /leaving reserves in ground are all melding into one.

But hold up! The West have just come up with another cunning plan. Freeze all Russian dollar accounts so they will default on their dollar loans (twenty billion at the last count). This will ruin Russia's credit rating. Up to a point, twats. Every credit rater knows that Russia can pay this month's interest with ease but is being prevented from doing so by the West, so the credit rating is quite unaffected. Meanwhile Russia is saving itself six hundred million in repayment and interest charges every month. Won't that be handy for buying a few dibs-and-dobs for the Ukraine campaign?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We're back in law and order weirdsville. Two consecutive news items made my jaw drop (it bounced back from the floor).

1. The Met Police is put in 'special measures' for
a) enforcing Covid regulations at a demo
b) disgraceful misogyny at a Charing Cross unit
c) homophobia hampering the investigation of a gay serial killer
d) two policemen posing for pictures next to two murdered women
e) four policemen being investigated over a body search of a schoolgirl
Considering it is a force of 120,000 policing a sensitive beat, if that's the charge sheet over several years, I judge that as worthy of a Good Conduct medal.

Then comes news that Ghislaine Maxwell has got twenty years. I couldn't see she'd done much wrong but whatever it was, community service would have covered it.

However, both she and the Met were guilty of one grave crime that deserved having the book thrown at them: undue negative publicity.
Wile E. Coyote

I must disagree. The Met will be much better off under Special Measures....

"Now, now now, what have we 'ere, Mr Guido"

"Err, you mean within the kegs"

"You know you can't hold a drinks party, past 7.30, I am afraid I shall have to confiscate that half empty bottle of Prosecco with wick as evidence, as well as those 40 kegs of "Sexed Up Spad"

"You can't arrest me wozzer. I am actually a chinese spy called Gui Fo, you have insulted me by mispronouncing my name, and what is more I have diplomatic immunity."

"Cripes, yes, racist namecalling is against your human rights" "Let me consult the CPS"....... "Ok, they want a view from the Mayor of London's ethical advisor, but unfortuantely he has to resign rather than answer the question" ....."Now, now, now, your most honourable Gui Fo, how can we come to make this 'orrible misunderstanding go away?"

"Stand aside and let me light the fuse wosser".

"Very good, sir" "But before I go, I have to get you sign to say that if you want to make a complaint about my appalling behaviour, you have a right to make it in writing to the Office of Public Guardian, (Racist Hate speech)".

"Weally, weally? Ok, then get on with it, where do I sign"

"It is here, and here agian.....and err, here....and there you go, here is your right of review in case the political correctness adjudicator doesn't agree with your complaint at stage 1 or 2"

"You know what, wozzer, this is much worse than form filling under the Peoples Wepublic" "I can't be bothered" "I give up blowing up your parliament and I am going back to China"

"Thank you Gui Fo, I know exactly what you mean, I think I will come with you"

"I love you Wozzer" "I love you too, Gui Fo".
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You have hit one nail on the head. When the crimes involve "encouraging racism" or "giving aid to terrorism", the initial offence may be chicken feed but the subsequent trial at the Old Bailey is heard round the world.

"Who is man enough to prosecute the Crown Prosecution Service for providing the oxygen of publicity to terrorism?"
"Never mind that, sunny Jim, that's sexist, that is. Kindly accompany me to the station."
"Yes, Dame Cressida."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This Chris Pincher business (do they have stage names?) is more important than the others. The Tory Party is addicted to power and understands it needs these sleazebags up to and including Boris Johnson to be in with a sniff of it. But it is also at heart thoroughly decent (unlike, for instance, the Republican Party in America) and draws the line.

Why at Pincher? Because it is rapidly emerging that he has been a sex-pest (what an innocuous term) for years, Boris knew it and was going to appoint him Chief Whip. anyway. That is taking the piss, will be the judgement of the shires.
Grant

You’re a male MP and the chief whip gets pissed and grabs your arse in a pub. Do you
A Punch him in the mouth
B Tell him to F off
C Use it as a weapon against Boris Johnson.

The conspiracy continues with the latest weekly “disclosure” designed to bring down Boris. And now those two chancers, Sunak and Javid, have joined in.

And what do Sunak and Javid have in common? Now it gets really scary
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Forewarned is forearmed, Grant. You've finished their little game. As Nadhim Zahawi said, "They've split the Pakki vote."

PS I want it placed on record that I made my Pincher clincher predicture before any of this.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Runners-and-Riders (1)

Poor Penny Mordant must be rueing not resigning when she had the chance during the last Boris brouhaha when she was the only cabinet minister who failed to send fawning congratulations on him surviving. Nadhim Zahawi has taken a calculated gamble in taking on the Chancellorship. If Boris goes now, Zeinab hasn't got a prayer. If he goes in the autumn, he's got half a prayer.

Javid performed a brilliant piece of timing but Sunak was spectacularly, if accidentally, inept. It looked like a case of me-too (which it couldn't have been because seventeen minutes is not long enough) but he's now stuck with it. He could have gotten away with it if he wasn't already seen as a slippery opportunist. They all are of course but Sunny Boy looks the part so he can't afford to be caught doing it.

Surely we are not going to be stuck with Liz Truss for the next two years? Bo-ring. If the Tories were really cute they would slot Rees-Mogg in to lose the next election graciously and then get someone else. But I would recommend Ruth Davison (she's eligible as a peer) to break with the past without jettisoning the future.
Wile E. Coyote

Javid and Sunak are running as a pair, with Javid as the sacrificial pacemaker, so its all about whether the classy opportunist Sunak can sprint through the gaps at the end.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 226, 227, 228 ... 299, 300, 301  Next

Jump to:  
Page 227 of 301

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in