MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Crying Wolf (Life Sciences)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Might the cassowary, a flightless bird but able to protect itself, have been first domesticated in Australia and subsequently stranded in New Guinea following the great calamity?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Then why isn't it (wasn't it) in Australia? Besides, what animals have been domesticated in Australia? They have a very poor (non-existent?) record.
Hatty
Site Admin

According to Wiki, the cassowary is "native to the tropical forests of New Guinea, Aru Islands, and northeastern Australia".
Hatty
Site Admin

I was thinking about Little Red Riding Hood (aka Little Red Cap) and wondered if a red hood being eaten and vomited could have originated from wolves ingesting fly agaric, most probably from a reindeer carcass. Wolves and ravens, both feeding on reindeer carrion, are known to be highly intelligent, but I don't know if reindeer have ever been considered intelligent. In folklore they are said to fly, on the ground they're credited with the longest migrations of any land animal, perhaps they are literally on a trip.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Brilliant! Everone else is blaming the Wolf, (this happens alot around here ask Coyote, he is always being sacked) but you have worked out the real danger is The Granny Mushroom, old and wrinkled, and the poisonous Red Capped Hooded variety.

You shouldnt go into the woods without knowing the basics.

No wonder the poor wolf died.

I think collectively we are owed an apology, and reparations.
Hatty
Site Admin

Woods are wonderful for getting lost in. It's wise to take a guide when the mushroom season starts.

In our local wood there's a manmade pond now quite overgrown and picturesque with a resident heron standing sentinel. Heron, said to be from 11-12th century 'Old French' (eigron in Occitan), seems to have been called crane in English and crannog apparently means 'crane island' though nobody knows the actual origin of the word crannog. Still, cranes nesting on an islet may have helped maintain the structure as they are known to ingest gizzard stones which they vomit up in locations that lack stones.

In Christian folklore herons have been endowed with some distinctly Hermes-like traits

The heron bird symbol was developed when a heron with a white stone in its beak became a symbol of wisdom that accrues to the Christian virtue of silence.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Hatty wrote:
I was thinking about Little Red Riding Hood (aka Little Red Cap) and wondered if a red hood being eaten and vomited could have originated from wolves ingesting fly agaric,

Oh my god Hatty. So brilliant!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

No, it's rather a dull red.

I am a bit anti-Hatty at the moment because, having posted up a near-death experience over the weekend, she omitted to enquire how I was during our scheduled Monday morning conference. Such professionalism.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Europe's Wilderness S1 E1: European Bison London Live

"So the bison will probably hang around on the edge of the meadows. Or in the forest, they don't like being exposed to the direct sun. As they cross different types of terrain they make sure they maintain a varied diet. In contrast to agricultural cattle they can digest woody plants well which allows them to access different nutrients."

You would think someone by now might have wondered how such obviously forest creatures could possibly have ended up 99.9% in two discrete populations:
(a) occupying the treeless grassland plains of central Asia and
(b) occupying the treeless prairies of North America.

It would of course be a complete coincidence that the only two bison-based societies known to history are
(a) the grassland plains-dwelling Altaic central Asians and
(b) the closely related prairie-dwelling Plains Indians.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55

Jump to:  
Page 55 of 55

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in