MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Principles of Applied Epistemology (APPLIED EPISTEMOLOGY)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

From a strictly polemical point of view his best course was to ignore me. I'm always urging this policy on people, it's a very powerful weapon. Instead he decided to take me on. Whether his pride was hurt or because he genuinely believed his thesis I don't know but his justification holds some lessons for polemicists. He begins with a complete irrelevancy

Caetano was the nominal head of a collegial dictatorship, as were Videla and Galtieri in Argentina. Collegiality doesn’t make a dictatorship less dictatorial if you’re a tortured imprisoned dissident. A single Fuhrer isn’t required to oppress a population that can’t fire its leadership.

Notice his sly attempt to get the audience on his side. A policy he continues with his second defence

In 1982 Argentina seized and occupied islands where the population was not Argentine. Both were colonizers, in sequence, though the Falklands were uninhabited when Britain claimed them, which makes the British in the Falklands an empire with penguins as subjects. A pity Anatole France didn’t include this as a chapter in Penguin Island.

He is quite cute with the third

Italy lost Libya to the British in 1942. Sicily was invaded on July 10, 1943. The Fascist Grand Council deposed Mussolini on July 25, 1943. Italy’s failed war against Greece starting October 1940 brought Germany into the Balkans. They all looked like failed wars of colonial conquest to me.

But of course he did not address, much less concede, my point that it wasn't losing colonies that did for Mussolini. He then, quite unusually, responds to my invitation to provide other examples.

Other regime-killing colonial wars: Germany’s Lebensraum invasion of the USSR, Japan’s invasion of China and SE Asia, Russia’s war of imperial rivalry against Japan in 1904–05, Spain in Cuba in the 1890s and the Rif, Morocco, 1909–21, the USSR in Afghanistan, 1979–89, France in Algeria, 1954–62, LBJ’s presidency died in Vietnam. Autocracies that fail in war fall harder than elected governments.

This is a truly 'bogus list'. I'll leave you to examine which of them are examples of failed colonial wars killing off dictatorships (none, maybe one would be my verdict) though characterising the Fourth Republic and LBJ as dictators probably tells you all you need to know.

I will take my own advice and not reply despite Lester (and I imagine the audience) thinking I've been crushed. I'm not proud.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33

Jump to:  
Page 33 of 33

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in