MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Academic Joke of the Week

"I live in Bloomsbury where the Pound Store only sells one product, The Collected Works of Ezra Pound." Alexi Sayle

I don't normally quote (other) comics but this made me laugh out loud, which I don't normally do.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

What do we think of Maldon sea-salt flakes? They're wildly expensive, a nightmare to use and never salty enough. Also I'm fed up waiting for someone to call round and ask if I've got any salt.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

We have recently converted to Himalayan Pink salt. I was also intrigued by this exciting new development in the Wiley household and, after conducting extensive research, I can now exclusively report to the AE audience that the main area of disparity with common table salt is in fact colour.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

To strike a serious note. Common table salt lacks the trace elements of sea salt and, in my opinion, should be eschewed just in case this is the critical factor. Himalayan salt is presumptively, albeit some time ago, sea salt. Your wife is correct: not only is the colour irrelevant but pink has political and gender conjurations that make it undesirable in any AE-ist's home. As are wives, tell her.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Or maybe it is me. Today a regular on medium.com, Grant Piper, posted this up

A Look At The World’s Tallest Statue
It dwarfs the Statue of Liberty (and every other statue on Earth)

And very informative it was too. Grant was clearly hostile to these giant exercises in vanity (mostly Indian businessmen hundreds of feet tall) plus the world's biggest Buddha (in Japan). I very good-naturedly posted up

They may not compare in size but the Bamiyan Buddhas were impressively large. Destroyed by the Taliban in 2001 but the Enlightened One had his revenge. Where are the Taliban now?

and got this very serious response from Grant

In power in Afghanistan with a plethora of regional allies and a victory over the United States under their belt. Last I checked. 
Grant

I like Himalayan salt because I’m always amazed that it’s 200 million years old.

My wife says it’s because I’m being pretentious.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I get this all the time. I find, "If I was pretentious I wouldn't have married you, you common little slut" (and variants) often works but watch out for the "If I were pretentious, it's the subjunctive" response.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Here's a new one on me. Anyone know if a new genre is being born before our very eyes?

'King Henry VIII' by Geoff Bamber - lazybeescripts.co.uk
A brief and unreliable history. A play for young actors by Geoff Bamber: Read the complete script on line. All the scripts on this site are copyrighted and may not be printed, quoted or performed without the permission of Lazy Bee Scripts. A humorous review of the life of the monarch and his six wives. (It bears an distant relationship to the English Key Stage 2 History Study Unit.) Cast ...
https://www.lazybeescripts.co.uk/Scripts/Script.aspx?iSS=110 - Rank 30
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

A handy guide to pretentious salts:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/feb/17/gourmet-artisan-and-sea-salt-trendy
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I used to live overlooking the Menai Straits but that was years ago when we all used it as a sewage outflow. Mainly evaporated for gourmet salt nowadays, I understand. Lots of trace elements apparently.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Many people have been begging me to stop my incessant shopping stories but I am not one to give in to popular clamour so here are two culled from this week's expedition.

My spectacles needed a minor repair and you always go back to where you got them from if you want it done free. This involved a trip to a shop I hadn't visited for four years. "Oh, these are old," said the usual bright young thing manning reception.
"I did get them here," I said nervously.
"Oh yes, I remember you well, Mr Harper."
That sparked my competitive instinct. "And you live in Uxbridge."
She looked up, startled. "Yes, I do as a matter of fact. You're not a stalker are you, Mr Harper? Here you are, all fixed."

Being in an unusual part of town (Notting Hill Gate) I did my weekly shop there, in something called a Tesco Express. I was fascinated because unlike my usual haunts these are designed for bright young things. What amazing things they eat. Including a pair of gigantic Polish sausages for £1.49.

Why am I telling you this? Well, you will recall from a previous effusion of mine, that I had been staggered by Sainsbury's having absurdly cheap Polish sausage and me concluding it was because we were out of the EU and the CAP and could therefore avail ourselves of the world market price for comestibles. My theory appears to have been triumphantly vindicated.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

I don't really get why folks buy sausages. You are really buying sausage meat that, rather than being packaged cunningly in the cleaned intestines of the animal, is these days instead packaged disgustingly twice. I guess folks like the shape or maybe it's the the gluey chew?

Today, however, natural casings are often replaced by collagen, cellulose, or even plastic casings, especially in the case of industrially manufactured sausages.
Grant

I don’t like gourmet sausages. Sausages are supposed to be made of the cheapest cuts of meat.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

And the cheapest filler. They've been ruined by all this 'up to 90% prime pork" nonsense. In my young day you could eat sausages on Fridays. But talking of 'casings' I was nonplussed today when I got out my pack of 'Tesco Express Giant Gourmet Frankfurters', slid one out for the morning fry-up (I'd forgotten the bacon, see previous stories passim) only to find they were in removable casings. Have you ever heard the like? Have you ever had to remove a removable frankfurter casing when the eggs and the toast were already at a critical state?

There's more to being a gourmet than the ability to quell panic in a moment of crisis.
Grant

“Removable casings!” Why have I not read about this in the Daily Mail?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 120 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in