MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Inventing History : forgery: a great British tradition (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I continue to be bombarded by Beowulf musings which are something of a goldmine for deciding when the poem was actually composed. This one has some resonance for the 'during the English Civil War' thesis. I'm going to have to read the damn thing one of these days.

The Poetic Purpose of the Offa Digression in "Beowulf" Francis Leneghan

The story of Offa and his bride interrupts the narrative of Beowulf at the seemingly inopportune moment of Beowulf’s triumphant return to Hygelac’s court. Scholars have struggled to explain the purpose of this passage, and it is often argued that it was clumsily added to the main body of the poem, perhaps in order to flatter Offa of Mercia or one of his descendants.

More recently, the violent youth of Offa’s bride has attracted interest from feminist critics. But the poetic purpose of the story as a whole remains obscure. Considering the poem’s pervasive interest in dynastic succession, I argue that the main purpose of this story is to foreground the benefits of royal marriage. This has implications for our understanding of Beowulf ’s subsequent career as king, during which he fails to marry or provide an heir, thereby placing his tribe at risk
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
I continue to be bombarded by Beowulf musings which are something of a goldmine for deciding when the poem was actually composed. This one has some resonance for the 'during the English Civil War' thesis. I'm going to have to read the damn thing one of these days.

The Poetic Purpose of the Offa Digression in "Beowulf" Francis Leneghan

The story of Offa and his bride interrupts the narrative of Beowulf at the seemingly inopportune moment of Beowulf’s triumphant return to Hygelac’s court. Scholars have struggled to explain the purpose of this passage, and it is often argued that it was clumsily added to the main body of the poem, perhaps in order to flatter Offa of Mercia or one of his descendants.

More recently, the violent youth of Offa’s bride has attracted interest from feminist critics. But the poetic purpose of the story as a whole remains obscure. Considering the poem’s pervasive interest in dynastic succession, I argue that the main purpose of this story is to foreground the benefits of royal marriage. This has implications for our understanding of Beowulf ’s subsequent career as king, during which he fails to marry or provide an heir, thereby placing his tribe at risk

The only thing that resonates with Wiley is when Hats pointed out that Laurence Nowell was both a missing person and duplicate, ie part "a creature of darkness, exiled from happiness and accursed of God," part dean of Litchfield.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

"Unferϸ maðelode”: The Villain in Beowulf Reconsidered Francisco J. Rozano-García
The many obscurities surrounding the origin of Unferϸ in the Old English epic Beowulf, his background, his intentions, or even the meaning of his very name, have fascinated readers and scholars alike throughout the past two centuries. However, despite all this attention, we still know next to nothing about the person and motivations of Unferϸ

I’d go for Archbishop Laud

Here then is the situation. The king has a counsellor: that counsellor is evil. Both the king and his nephew trust the evil counsellor. A bitter feud springs up between the king and his nephew.

I was tempted to go literal and plump for Charles I and Prince Rupert. But that's too late. More likely Charles I and Strafford.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160

Jump to:  
Page 160 of 160

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in