MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Flu (Health)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

After THEY murdered the last one. For precisely this reason.

I know she’s a Muslim woman from Zanzibar (so there’s three political minorities she represents) but the “THEY” (I assume) are the pro-vax liberal apparatchiks?
Ishmael

In: Toronto

THEY are mystery men behind this bullshit. Damned if I know who they are.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Didn't we send you to Tanzania to find out? A little more work, Ishmael, and a little less setting up percussion fusion bands with your new mates in the Dar-el-Salaam night club scene wouldn't go amiss. We are sending out another pith helmet as requested.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

:-)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It's taken a bit of time (in Britain) but the left/right Covid position was finally laid bare in this morning's Guardian headline

Ministers expected to defy advice on jabs for children

In the first place, Mistress Guardian, ministers do not defy. Maybe if it is another government of a country a bit bigger than theirs but otherwise they take or don't take advice. And don't say it's journalese, reject takes up the same amount of space. Just off the top of my non-sub-editor's head.

But even that is going too far. The advice was -- for the first time if memory serves - accompanied by the caveat that the evidence either way was very small and they pretty much sold the pass by emphasising -- again for the first time I can recall -- that even if the advice was correct it should not necessarily be followed for other reasons to do with children's (non-medical) welfare (not to mention the country's).

Ministers expected to follow advice to defy advice on jabs for children

would be my headline if I were subbing for you. I can work for minimum pay if you want. Maybe put me on The Review first to learn the ropes.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Could the Coronavirus Be Weakening as It Spreads?
Comments from two Italian doctors have triggered a wave of expert rebukes, but not everyone thinks that their views are far-fetched

Note the two mistakes:
(1) rebukes should read 'interest'
(2) but not everyone should read 'and nobody'

It was a couple of well-qualified Italian doctors working in the earliest area of a mass Covid outbreak reporting their impressionistic experiences of a well-known phenomenon.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

One has to hand it to the Fascist Junta. They are standing fast against the Health Commissariat who demand we return to lock-down because all the various indices are going off the charts. No, no, they say, everybody should just go about their business and leave the NHS to cope. Which, as usual, it is doing quite easily despite everyone dropping in their tracks of sheer overwork. Like they have been doing ever since 1948.

The Tory Brute Beasts may be right or they might be wrong but at least they are behaving properly as a government and following the people not the science.
Grant

Someone is really taking the piss now. Not only is Omicron an anagram of moronic, but it’s the name of a star system in Star Trek.

What do people get out of this hysteria? If you’re a politician I suppose you are too scared of public opinion to just put your hand up and say, “Let’s end this nonsense now.” If you work in the NHS you can bask in the glow of being a hero. (Oh, and like my GP, get £12.50 for each booster injection.)

But what do ordinary people get from it? An excuse to skive? A feeling of worthiness when you put on your useless face mask?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have to say Omicronomania is a puzzle. It is agreed not to be specially virulent, it is agreed not to be specially contagious, its only claim to fame is to be specially variant and thus potentially immune to current vaccines. Well, every variant carries this possibility and, we are told, they are coming at us thick and fast without the need for being specially anything.

Oh yes, and also specially South African, the place that gave us the Delta variant that caught us with our pants down so we're making damn sure we've got every base covered this time. Since there are few available bases remaining uncovered this consisted of banning all flights from South Africa on Day One and reporting it was already here and spreading fast on Days Two, Three, n.

The current Tory policy of masterly inactivity has proved quite effective, so far as one can tell, but this will test it. I predict that the naturally Tory English people will use masterly bolshiness if anything is tried. But I cannot predict whether this will be a wise policy. Not understanding COVID may have justified the precautionary approach at the start of the pandemic but I am reasonably satisfied that the resignation-of-Job approach may be the best policy now that we understand we don't understand COVID. Plus vaccination of course.
Grant

I went to the O2 yesterday for an orgy of nostalgia - Squeeze and Madness. About a third of the seats were empty, presumably because of covid but not helped by the TfL strike. I was interested in how people would respond to the general hysteria.

Answer, only about ten percent were wearing masks and the rest totally ignored social bloody distancing.

I realise it’s not a reliable sample because covid hysterics didn’t turn up. But the average age must have been high forties and if they are not buying it any more it’s going to be all over by March
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, then the only question is who will take over from us. My money's on cockroaches.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We've all complained here about the balance not being right between containing Covid and maintaining a life (personally, nationally) but it is always highly abstract. Me, I've never felt at all impacted either personally or nationally. (Football matches without crowds is about the sum of it.) I found this little piece anecdotal but telling https://medium.com/womentorship/the-great-exhaustion-c54cbf5750e4
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

You can see with hindsight why SAGE were influenced by the Chinese Covid Zero Lockdown style response.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Look at the figures China total population 1,439,323,776 deaths just 4636.

Look at Britain: total population 68,461,682 deaths at 159,518, in fact it doesn't seem to make much difference what the policy remedy was in individual liberal democracies.........

If you consider more comparable countries to China that have attempted similar stringent zero covid methods.... China manages a Covid mortality rate 30 times lower than Korea’s, 50 times lower than Singapore’s, 73 times lower than New Zealand........

It's obvious that either the Chinese have by far the best Covid response, in fact a unique astonishing performance, or their figures are wrong.

The obvious lesson is that we should never again base our policy response on the Chinese, as their figures are almost certainly incorrect in health matters. A good starting point would be to * all their health figures as unsafe so countries and naive scientists don't believe the astounding claims coming out of China and impose policy recommendations on the basis of dodgy figures.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I broadly agree except I have always assumed the present Chinese leadership would be cleverer than the ordinary dictatorship when it comes to producing believable statistics. Would any Chinese leader have claimed to have shot thirty under par when playing his first round of golf as Kim Jong-Il did??

There is also the possibility that the Chinese are fooling themselves. This can happen when nervous people are reporting up the chain of command.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
I broadly agree except I have always assumed the present Chinese leadership would be cleverer than the ordinary dictatorship when it comes to producing believable statistics. Would any Chinese leader have claimed to have shot thirty under par when playing his first round of golf as Kim Jong-Il did??

I think you underestimate Xi ......no job is too small, he once personally carried 17 stone of wheat three miles or so. I know that's pretty damn easy for many of us peasants, but Xi did it without changing shoulders.......

Personality cult in full swing......
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73  Next

Jump to:  
Page 71 of 73

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in