MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 258, 259, 260  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grant

Southgate learnt a lot from the match:

1) you can make substitutions
2) Kane can be hoiked off

That’s not bad for one game. If he keeps learning two things in each game our World Cup victory in 2022 is assured.

As for the game, Hungary had one shot on target and it was the penalty! They were lucky to get a draw
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

This Week's Star Prize From Virgin Media

You could win VIP tickets to watch Southampton FC in the Premier League!
Fancy getting your hands on one of 10 pairs of tickets to see the Saints take on Burnley? Read on to find out how to enter our exclusive giveaway…

What, and end up sitting next to Alastair Campbell? I think not.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Hope is looming on the horizon. Stan Kroenke, the man who bombed Arsenal into mid-table, is facing a problem. He moved the St Louis Rams to Los Angeles, apparently against NFL rules (who knew they had any?) and various objections from various parties. He agreed in a fitful moment to re-reimburse any costs the NFL might incur if sued by any of the said parties.

This being America, they did and it now turns out this might cost the Kroenkes (the Rams are in his wife's name) a billion dollars which, even by the standards of US sporting franchise owners, is a hole in the bucket. He just might have to sell Arsenal. (That's a soccer team in London you own, Stan.) If so we shall be able to enjoy the nervous delights of weighing the deepness of pockets vis a vis the shallowness of ethical values on offer from the sovereign wealth funds of the world. Come on, Norway, you're up first and bring Erling Haaland with you.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Come on, Norway, you're up first and bring Erling Haaland with you.

'Fraid you'll have to take Ole as part of the package.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Just had a phone call. Norway are out. Hunting minke whales is not acceptable.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A Week With The Pundits

We here all agree neither Solskjaer nor Arteta are up to the job. We here all agree that given Man Utd and Arsenal have two of the most expensive squads in world footballing history they can roll over poor sides no matter how bad Solskjaer and Arteta are. Pundits, unlike us, always judge by results. And week by week.

United are rolled over by Liverpool. Solskjaer must go
United roll over Spurs. Solskjaer must stay
Arsenal are rolled over by everyone. Arteta must go
Arsenal roll over Spurs. Arteta must stay.

And don't be fooled by the Leicester result. For half an hour, foxes play like headless chickens, we spray it around like good 'uns, we go two-up. Then they play like Leicester City, we start hoofing it up the park at every opportunity and our Goalie is Man of the Match (and hoofer-in-chief). And don't be fooled by "Arteta has found his ideal side" (© Wrighty, Shearikins, Linokio)

Fact: Lacazette has played in this new role precisely twice. He was good last week, he got subbed this week
Fact: The vaunted 'new back four' were bollocks the last time Arsenal played a decent side
Fact: The goalie is 23. We'll see when the first crisis comes.
Fact: Aubameyang is our Kane
Fact: the midfield goes to pieces every time the other side presses even a little bit. Not that they are involved very much as the ball whizzes over their heads.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Surprise Stat of the Week
Brighton are unbeaten away from home this season

Not any more they aren't as Liverpool go three up. No, wait, it's been disallowed. No, wait, it's 2-2.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Racism News

I only just noticed that Nuno Espírito Santo is black. I only noticed it when I was considering him for the chop as Tottenham manager. Rather remiss of me. However, he must be the only black manager in the Premiership so any day now it won't just be Spurs who are called the 'lilywhites'.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

England are having it too easy in the 20/20's. We'll be going out in the semis, you can be sure of that. When will they ever learn? You teeter to the top.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Racism News

Sorry, I meant England and Wales.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
Racism News

I only just noticed that Nuno Espírito Santo is black. I only noticed it when I was considering him for the chop as Tottenham manager. Rather remiss of me. However, he must be the only black manager in the Premiership so any day now it won't just be Spurs who are called the 'lilywhites'.

I am unsure how Viera self-identifies so, whilst you might think that, I could not possibly comment.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

No, he's Arsenal. Doesn't count. I'm surprised at you, Wiley, forgetting that.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

With the Atlanta Braves (and their 'tomahawk chop') contesting the World Series, baseball is anxious not to offend other sectors of enlightened thought. But will it listen to PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals)?

“Words matter, and baseball ‘bullpens’ devalue talented players and mock the misery of sensitive animals,” says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. “PETA encourages Major League Baseball coaches, announcers, players, and fans to change up their language and embrace the ‘arm barn’ instead.”

When asked for a comment, the Chicago Bulls said, "Bullocks."
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

'tomahawk chop'

I’ll always associate that with Billy Two Rivers… He used it to finish off many an opponent.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, but Billy was a full blood Cherokee. He was entitled to evoke his national weapon (historical reservations aside). Just as Kendo Nagasaki was entitled to use his surprise 'Pearl Harbour' while his opponent was on his stool between rounds. My own Mick McManus was of course banned from using the Lewisham sawn-off shotgun though nobody questioned his ethnic right to it. We carry replicas of it to this day in memory of the great man.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 258, 259, 260  Next

Jump to:  
Page 171 of 260

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in