MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
War on Terrorism (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 106, 107, 108  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

That's what I said, not what you said. Just before it slips into history.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Let's Play Double Standards!

(1) The Taliban have announced, and are apparently operating, a policy of allowing anyone to leave by air who has the correct documentation. That is the same policy adopted by, for example the UK, the USA and the EU. So why are we all treating this as some scurvy trick? Maybe they'll change the policy as soon as our backs are turned but let's give 'em credit while credit's due.

(2) Thousands and thousands of Afghans are streaming out of land crossings controlled, on the Afghan side, by the Taliban. The only people who are putting up barriers -- and who can blame them? -- are the Pakistanis, Iranians et al. The media can go into paroxysms demanding, 'How can those who helped us but who we didn't manage to get out, possibly make their way to these places?' to which there is only one answer. By bus.

(3) The previous Anglo-American-European backed regime produced more refugees than any regime in the world apart from Assad's Syria.
Grant

The Taliban are such shit fighters that they can’t even control the airport and ISISK are making them look stupid by blowing up soldiers. Why did we lose to these idiots?
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Grant wrote:
The Taliban are such shit fighters that they can’t even control the airport.

They are not, and it was the only possible target, so we can conclude that the terrorists were let through the checkpoints.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I wholly disagree. Terrorists have been getting through checkpoints since Barabbas graffitied the Sanhedrin. Why would the Taliban (a) provide oodles of free publicity to their arch-rivals ISIS (b) show the world they're not even in control of the airport, never mind Afghanistan (c) do the one thing, killing thirteen marines, that might prompt the Americans to reverse course (d) etc? Unless Ishmael is right and they are CIA stooges...
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
Why would the Taliban (a) provide oodles of free publicity to their arch-rivals ISIS

I can't see that this does the Taliban much harm. The Taliban are wanting to give the impression that they are against terrorist groups, on their soil, and clearly the one group they want to go after is ISIS (K) who had previously surrendered to, and were sheltered by, the deposed Afghan government.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Always walk away, Wiley, when you've been routed. Be an American.

I can't see that this does the Taliban much harm.

Any harm would rule out the Taliban facilitating the attack.

The Taliban are wanting to give the impression that they are against terrorist groups, on their soil

Right... so build them up to ... er ... knock them down. Yes, I can buy into that in a theoretical sort of way. It's just what you'd do in your first week in government. After ordering new letterheads.

and clearly the one group they want to go after is ISIS (K)

There's a list somewhere, is there?

who had previously surrendered to, and were sheltered by, the deposed Afghan government.

Now I see where you're going. The CIA was secretly backing the Taliban whereas the Afghan government was secretly backing ISIS. My God, I'm such a naïf. I can't even tell who's won now. My enemy's enemy's enemy is my enemy's enemy's best friend. But who is that?
Wile E. Coyote

I have always believed that the Taliban is a creation of the Pakistani ISI. Numerous posts. The Afghan government was not secretly backing ISIL(K), it was fighting it. ISIL(K) had a choice of surrendering to the Taliban or to the Afghan government in 2018 following the so called Battle of Darzab. It chose to surrender to the govt and the leadership was then sheltered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Darzab_(2018)
Wile E. Coyote

Has anybody actually got a photo of Mullah Omar's son? Does anybody know where the previous interim commander is? He was unknown at the time of death of his father. He has mysteriously disappeared again! It now seems that the very reasonable Mullah Barandar who was previously arrested in Pakistan (no doubt living in a quiet Garrison town) is in charge.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have always believed that the Taliban is a creation of the Pakistani ISI. Numerous posts.

I have always believed this too (the odd post) though I would not have used the term 'is a creation of'. No Pakistani state institution is that efficient.

The Afghan government was not secretly backing ISIL(K), it was fighting it.

I was being jocular. I agree with this.

ISIL(K) had a choice of surrendering to the Taliban or to the Afghan government in 2018 following the so called Battle of Darzab. It chose to surrender to the govt

I don't know about this particular occasion but from first principles I assume anyone would choose to surrender to a properly constituted government rather than to people who would summarily execute you on the spot.

and the leadership was then sheltered.

Again from first principles, any government whose main preoccupation is fighting Organisation A would retain the leadership of Organisation B as prized assets if B was fighting A.
Wile E. Coyote

Still can't see Mullah Yaqoob. This is a nice bio for folks that want to believe "The Legend."

https://bit.ly/3gPNMrQ

Rule 32. Boys book of Imaginary Battles.

"Like Father, Like Son."

Phillip of Macedon. Alexander the Great.
Wile E. Coyote

Mullah Yaqoob is still not to be seen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58235639

It looks like the prize for spotting him, a copy of "Missing Persons", will remain unclaimed.

Meanwhile, the Taliban military chief released an audio message to his fighters on Tuesday, ordering them not to harm Afghan forces and government officials in territories they conquer. The recording was shared on Twitter by the Taliban spokesman in Doha, Mohammad Naim.

Sorry Mr Naim, the audio tape doesn't qualify.
Wile E. Coyote

Entries are especially welcome from former and current British and American intelligence officers, as well as other persecuted minorities.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is all very interesting in view of the fact, maybe 'fact', that this Taliban seems rather different from the Taliban of twenty years ago. But possibly they don't want the rank-and-file to twig this quite yet. Standing down the troops is always Problemo Numero Uno for successful insurrectionists, not acquiring legitimacy. That has already been achieved by winning, whatever the world says.

We've arranged for you to fly out to Kabul, Wiley, and find out more. Hatty will be at Heathrow with all the necessary jellaba, turban, false whiskers etc. So you'll have no difficulty recognising her.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Two very weird developments on the domestic terrorism front. First they raise the Terror Level to one below Hellzapopping. Why? Because, they say, of two terrorist events following in quick succession, the kill-the-MP bloke and the Christian-convert bloke. Except that neither were acts of terrorism. Just nutcakes doing what nutcakes do now they know they'll get acres of publicity doing it. What are we supposed to do in this heightened state of security? Look out even more keenly for lone nutters? Look out for MI5 jobsworths more like.

Then the incomparable Priti Patel declares 'all branches' of Hamas are henceforth designated terrorists. Why, what have they done recently? Nothing much. It's true all branches of Hamas are partial to terrorism on account of it's the only thing available in asymmetric wars. But that hasn't changed for thirty years. What does Pritti want them to do? Develop armoured brigades and nuclear weapons?

This is the same Priti who had to resign for secret contacts with the Israelis so who made the decision is anyone's guess. It may even have been Priti which would be very worrying.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 106, 107, 108  Next

Jump to:  
Page 73 of 108

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in