MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

No, but they are now offering it in North America. My fault, I'd omitted to put a dollar price into some tomfool list. And a Canadian dollar price -- they are two separate countries which was news to me. No sub-Saharan currency of any kind was listed, unless you count Australia as sub-Saharan, which I don't.

Pamphlets... YouTubes... the problem is never one of medium. It's getting people to hear about your product that is the chasm. I'm outraged that our mini-mass mailing of review copies has not produced any outrage. How we remember the Twitterstorm of Forgeries with nostalgic affection.

But your suggestion of pamphlets, Grant, might be a goodie in one respect. I have a dim memory of my first day at university featuring trestle tables groaning with books (are you kidding, do I look like a swot?) and pamphlets (oh, I'll have that one ... and that one ... soddit, and that one). But how to get from here to there is still a chasm. Amazon et al is no use since with free postage over £10, massive discounting and a second hand market priced in pennies, it ends up cheaper buying the book.

Even so, one to ponder. Any more of this, Grant, and we shall have to seriously consider a move from lance-jack to full corporal.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

The YouTube channel will come. I will be starting it as soon as I complete the Deserts book. Mick will be a regular guest/antagonist/foil.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

My coffee machine is playing up. This is a serious matter since we are talking about the world's last best hope for getting us out of the mess we're in. All right, I'm supposed to clean some dubry or other after every cup, and see to some other didger every week and make sure I do something or other to something or other at least once a month, but I didn't think they were serious. And with a track record of doing none of the above for several years and several thousand cups of coffee I think I have been proved resoundingly correct. Score one for me, Mr Nessum "I'm Swiss-German" Dorma. Even so I may be off-grid for a bit.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We sent a review copy to the Spectator and sure enough Google alerts us that this week's issue features a review of Missing Persons. Only it turns out to be a phrase from If You Were There: Missing People and the Marks They Leave Behind by Francisco Garcia. Another narrow escape in our quest to become a cult classic.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Amazon has destroyed any last lingering hopes that writers would get at least some reward for their efforts -- we're not talking full-time, that is given to stupendously few -- by industrialising the second hand market. In Days of Yore, you wanted a book, you bought a book, or you got it out of the library and the library bought a book. All this meant something dribbled back to the author. You couldn't buy it second hand without scouring the back streets of Tottenham Court Road. Now you click a button

Used - Very Good £12.25 £2.80 delivery: Aug 26 - 27
Condition: unread copy with some indentations present to the cover, otherwise as new
Sold by forthway2 (20036 ratings) 99% positive over last 12 months

That's less than a month after publication. Notice this is actually the same as buying it new, free postage, from Amazon but that's just the algorithm biding its time. The book will cost a penny (plus mildly inflated p&p) by Christmas. It's the 'unread' that hurts.
Ishmael

The answer is to build a following. They will purchase your book as a means of supporting your work.

YouTube and other video platforms will yield better results. Once the Deserts book is complete, I will be moving forward immediately with that plan.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
So I can be supported by your following.

Of course! 50% of every book sold.
Ishmael

Sorry Mick. I accidentally deleted your post when I was attempting to reply.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

One of my best too. And from your perspective one of the worst. Did you ever work for Richard Nixon?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

After hours, nay days, of worrying about the chief prop in life, my coffee machine, I gave up calculations about what to do about it, because it fixed itself and is now better than ever. But something had changed. Never glad confident morning again. It might do the dirty on me at any time. I now know that.

Like finding out one's partner has been unfaithful. Not that that's ever happened to me. They always announce it with great relish. When it comes to props in one's life I prefer things bought and paid for.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

How Many of These Ten Words Do You Know David Mokotoff
I thought I had a good vocabulary until these words stumped me

https://medium.com/writers-blokke/if-youre-an-ace-wordsmith-see-how-many-of-these-ten-words-you-know-ced9c91fe1d1

This'll be interesting, I thought. I bet he means 'I thought I had a good vocabulary but I'm an American.' Though if he were British, it would be 'I thought I had a good vocabulary but I'm too young to have had a decent education.' And so it proved.

Five of the words were routine intelligentsia fare ouevre emendation pulchritude Pecksniff Micawber
One was a weirdly American lacuna trilby
Two were technical to the point of disinterest infix pink (as a verb)
One was a Yiddishism that I do not believe they use even in America kvell
Leaving one which I would judge as worth being on the list: limerence 'the state of being infatuated or obsessed with another person'.

I may drop that into conversation when referring to myself.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, my digibox is 100% and extreme measures are called for but aren't you forgetting something? It's a rest day in the Vuelta a España -- just the breathing space I need.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

“History of the Trolls? Bárðar saga as an historical narrative,” Saga-Book 25 (1998), 53–71.
Ármann Jakobsson, Saga-Book of the Viking Society

It's OK, Hatty, you're not listed. I've checked.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

My Virgin digibox providers are not helping. First they give you a digibox with a chronically limited capacity (a thousand hours, I believe), then they offer you a multichannel universe (six hundred and seventy four, I believe) to fill it up in no time flat then, just as you think you are getting on top of things, they invite you to a party at the Rewind Club to celebrate the end of lockdown.

That's not a problem in itself, I pop in most days for a tia maria, but it’s having to go backstage to meet either Pete Tong or Carl Cox that I object to. Does Virgin not know that either of them can bore for England? I’d never get away, what with them being so hyper at meeting a celebrity. No, I'm sorry, Virgin, but with this one you've got it all Pete Tong.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

One gets used to algorithms serving up odd juxtapositions but I got a particularly odd one today

You read the paper The legacy of the Decameron in Iceland. A related paper is available on Academia
Lessons Learned Through a Failed Effort to Remediate Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) In a Pre-adolescent Via Binaural Sound and A Surrogate Mother Experience

Quite fascinating. The algorithm always knows best.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 110 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in