MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 145, 146, 147  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grant

And Cooper et al are studiously avoiding the obvious fact that poor old Joe is senile. You have to read the right-wing media to get the very amusing stories.

My favourite was revealed in Takimag. He was introduced to a black politician and was expecting to be thanked for Juneteenth, the new holiday celebrating emancipation. But the politician tried to talk about something else. Biden froze, unable to think of anything to say. His helpers ushered him away, but as left he turned to the politician and said, “Thank you, Doctor Juneteenth.”
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I hope this is kosher because you're right, we're not picking any of this up. He looks senile but then so did Reagan.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Grant wrote:
“Thank you, Doctor Juneteenth.”

Any chance of sharing a link to that? Thanks.
Grant

I can’t work out how to get the address on my iPad, but google

“Takimag the week that perished June 27th 2021”

It’s under the heading Dr Dementia
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Old age is getting scarier. Senility has evolved into dementia. It is plausible that Joe has had a small stroke. Joe reads out a note "Sir there is something stuck to your chin"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/joe-biden-card-meeting-white-house-b1894036.html

Personally, I don't think is a disqualification from holding office. It is his lying that is the issue. Like when he claimed he was arrested trying to visit Mandela, and that Mandela thanked him for it.

“After he [Mandela] got free and became president, he came to Washington and came to my office. He threw his arms around me and said, ‘I want to say thank you.’ I said, ‘What are you thanking me for, Mr. President?’ He said: ‘You tried to see me. You got arrested trying to see me.’”

This has been fact checked a number of times.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/02/25/bidens-ridiculous-claim-he-was-arrested-trying-see-mandela/
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I am afraid, Wiley, you have just committed the cardinal 'bogus list' sin. You are asking us to agree with you that President Biden is a liar. He has had a long and distinguished career and, like all of us and like all politicians, he has lied countless times during that period. Yet you produce an example that is not only last century but is more 'selectively presented' than a lie. My conclusion therefore is that the sloop Joe B is rather truthful.

For your penance you are required to establish that Tony Blair is a liar without recourse to something he said about his dimly recalled youth.
Wile E. Coyote

Point taken, but there are other fact checks against Biden.

In March this year he said that "We’re sending back the vast majority of the families that are coming. We are trying to work out now with Mexico their willingness to take more of those families back."

The figures for February showed otherwise 7,900 were expelled, 11,000 accommodated.

Still, I have to say that you are cheering me up a bit as I thought America was rotten to the core and beyond saving, but Biden at 19% is less blatantly untruthful on the fact checker I looked at than Trump, who scored a miserable 51% either "false" or "pants on fire". Joe tends to opt for more half-truths according to the checker, so maybe he is yet to hit his stride?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I will take you to task but only for illustrative purposes. This is usually a 'dinner party technique'. You are sitting among the usual nodding donkeys and someone says, say, "That Biden's a liar." The AE-ist who has been quietly biding his time (oh, yes) spots his opportunity. "Oh, I didn't know. What kind of thing?" Cue the Mandela story. AE-ist gently mocks as above. The patsy is then cornered and starts flailing around

Well, in March he said they were sending back the vast majority when the figures for February showed 7,900 were expelled, 11,000 accommodated.

AE-ist: Blimey, he'd only got his feet under the table in January. Give the geezer a chance. Anyway [looks around to gauge the political mien of the room] I thought we were in favour of letting 'em in.

Or whatever. The point is politicians never lie. It's too dangerous and you learn how not to at Politicians School. [Trump is not a politician so you have just performed the 'bogus list' trick again.] AE-ists know this but the general public are convinced they all lie, all the time. So the AE-ist wins every time.

Though they are rarely invited back to dinner parties.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
For your penance you are required to establish that Tony Blair is a liar without recourse to something he said about his dimly recalled youth.

Does that include the period in his youth when he was known as "Mandy"?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I'll take you to task but only for illustrative purposes. Why not take the issue by the horns rather than making a meaninglessly lame joke? You will never learn wisdom while you are addicted to 'joshing' i.e. what everyone else does. I bet you're a dinner party favourite. The pursuit of wisdom or the pursuit of happiness, you choose.
Grant

I don’t believe most dementia diagnoses (is that the plural?) anyway, ever since I read that the great Norman Wisdom was holed up in in his Isle of Man house with it. The poor sod was in his nineties!

Thirty years ago we would expect someone in his 90s to have lost his memory, but now there’s money in it all must have a diagnosis and expensive pills.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You just wait.
Wile E. Coyote

Enjoying High Seas on Netflix. It aims for somewhere between Agatha Christie, and The Life Aquatic. Set aboard a steamer, in the 1940s after the end of the war, it features posh ariostos on glamorous top decks, serenaded by a sexy jazz singer. Down below are servants, and ships hands on steamy, oily bottom decks having rousing singalongs.

Two Spanish sisters (opposites of course), embark, and smuggle on board a mysterious stowaway, what could go wrong you ask? Nothing of course, they are sailing to Rio for a life of quiet privilege. Then an albatross mysteriously hits the boat, and a murder or two happens. Stormy waters ahead.

It features every cliche and improbable plot twist going. It's a love affair with older movies where all the actors look into mid distance, the boat is a model and the waves are simulated by the camera wobbling. There is a lothario, a smoking detective, a camp doctor, a phantom, and a hunky First Officer, as well as the obligatory Nazi gold aboard. Sex is a sensuous, tantalising glimpse of leg. Do you want to be 15 again?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Netflix does not believe I want to be. They've sent me details of every other film but not this one. The thing about me though is I defy authority. Always have, always will. I'm going to watch it anyway. On your own head be it, my fine friend.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Shtisel (Netflix)

Did you know Israelis speak Hebrew faster than you can read the subtitles? Typical.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 145, 146, 147  Next

Jump to:  
Page 89 of 147

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in