MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 104, 105, 106 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

PS The Voltaire Foundation who are setting all this up was in turn the brain child of Theodore Besterman. Theo gets an even bigger shellacking in the book than the Enlightenment does. Naturally we sent the Voltaire Foundation an advance copy and equally naturally they have not deigned to respond even with a formal acknowledgement.

Let's consider this for a moment. Oxford University is theoretically in the 'seeking after truth' business. Seeking truth, by definition, involves some kind of Hegelian struggle between competing narratives. Here is a book that advances, however modestly, a competing narrative. But more than that it is, as far as I know, the first time anyone has suggested that Besterman might be a crook and that the Enlightenment might be a fraud.

It's not the fact that I might be wrong that hurts; it's not the fact that my arguments might be inept that hurts; it's the fact that it won't get past the front desk and then the binmen that hurts. Well, damn them all to hell, I shall indulge in self-pity and no man shall shay I shan't.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
They've put up the 'Head of Philanthropy' (yeah, right) and are calling him 'Simon Crookall' (good one!), we're putting up Hatty (needs must). Anyway, if any of you want to be an Honorary Professor of Enlightenment Studies let us know.

How much Philanthropy will be left-over after the Head of Philanthropy has been paid a "head-of-something" rate of pay?

Post-hoc, I've been appointed to the temporary post of "Acting Head of Philately" for Château Boreades' post office. Although I'd rather be Head of Viticulture and Oenology. Does that help?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Whether because Scotty (he's getting a bar to his CDM) ordered a copy or because I harangued Amazon via the Have You Got A Beef With Us button, but the availability is suddenly down to 1-3 weeks. This is still not enough to catch the true impulse buyer but at least it won't put off the vaguely interested.

Also we (I'm using the Harry and Meghan 'we') are up to 23,000th best selling book in Britain which is something to tell the grandkids now I can afford to have them. Doubtless one of my family has finally allowed guilt and shame to overcome greed and envy. That's a nuisance because it means I can't flay them across the board for fear of smiting the righteous. Who'd be a Man of Letters when Zoom is king?
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mine is still arriving 17 August - 24 September. Not that I am complaining.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It should arrive by Friday. The glorious thing about Amazon is that its left hand algorithm (the one that controls messaging) does not know what its right hand algorithm (an asylum-seeker from Algoria working in a warehouse containing several Missing Persons ... is this getting confusing? ... in the East Midlands) is doing.

But don't rule out 24th September. There's a Higher Algorithm called Sod's Law.
Boreades

Mick, has Amazon put up your book prices yet?

Amazon have announced the government’s 2% Digital Services Tax is to be passed straight onto consumers

This was supposed to be a tax on Amazon, Google and Facebook, but they seem to have passed it straight onto customers.

Who is likely to be affected

Large multi-national enterprises with revenue derived from the provision of a social media service, a search engine or an online marketplace to UK users.

Impact on individuals, households and families

This measure has no direct impact on individuals as it only affects businesses. The measure is not expected to impact on family formation, stability or breakdown.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/introduction-of-the-digital-services-tax/digital-services-tax
Mick Harper
Site Admin

They could try but they will find this particular milch cow hardly worth skinning and boiling down the bones. Since I am both author and publisher I get two bites at the £20 cover price cherry. About eighty pence per copy in total, I believe. Which is a great relief since I would hate to be losing two per cent of anything substantial. "As cunning as a barrel load of monkeys" is, I think, the admiring phrase you are looking for. Aw, shucks.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
an asylum-seeker from Algoria working in a warehouse containing several Missing Persons ... is this getting confusing? ... in the East Midlands).

Let's hope they don't get reported to the UK Missings Persons Unit. The asylum-seekers I mean, not the books.

Evenin' all. Mind how you go.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Developments on the Amazon Front
Temporarily out of stock.
We are working hard to be back in stock as soon as possible

Bit of a puzzle. The best seller figure is showing ninety-nine thousand and something so no books have been sold. [Thank you, Wylie, I can flay my family now with a clear conscience.] This has never happened before with any of the half dozen Harper and Harper/Vered productions milord Amazon has assisted us with. All of which have been 'out of stock' for one reason or another at various times without Amazon alerting the world about it. What does it presage? My brain says it's bad news, my heart says it's bad news.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

More Developments on the Amazon Front

Now the categorisation has disappeared both from the top and from the best seller rankings. I am now officially unclassifiable. Though I was rather enjoying being the eighth thousand and something best selling home furnishing author in Britain. Looking round my flat I could do with getting hold of a copy. Since Amazon are being badgered about this as well, the two developments must be linked, but how and why and when won't they be is looking increasingly like a matter for Mr Sod.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Now it's out of stock, Amazon are trying to tempt me with another title, "General Practical Information About Making Lampshades" M.R. Griffith.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Don't be tempted He's considered a little bit 'out there' by those of us in the home furnishings mainstream.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

There have been no developments on the Amazon front.
Boreades

We are working hard to be back in stock as soon as possible

I have to confess I don't understand what this means. Has Amazon already sold the entire print run? Or was it delivered to a "special warehouse", to be stored alongside other priceless artifacts, for time immemorial, at the whim of Gov UK?

Mick Harper
Site Admin

I am almost disappointed to say that we are back in business

Buy new:£20.00
Delivery at no extra cost for Prime members
FREE Delivery Aug 9 - 16 for Prime members
Usually dispatched within 1 to 3 weeks
Dispatched from and sold by Amazon

Disappointed because there is no longer an alibi for failure. Missing Persons will be a flop and there is only one person to blame. Hatty.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 104, 105, 106 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 105 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in