MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Well of course that has been an ongoing debate since the National Grid was set up a hundred years ago and since telegraph cables were set up a hundred years before that (o.n.o. x 2) and we have had mains electricity and morse code decoding machines in our homes without respite. No doubt Mr Justice Cocklecarrot is even now in deep conclave with Countryfile (begun in 1951) about whether these new tra-a-actors leave ruts.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Professor T (ITV1)

OK, it's ITV's big summer Sunday night offering. OK, it's a Belgian retread so faithful to the original that one of the two central characters has retained her Flemish name and the other has retained the name T which, I understand, is the same in both the Flemish and English alphabets. They have all moved to Cambridge. Television will soon be running out of Oxbridge universities for cerebral police procedurals.

First let's get the political correctness gone mad bit out of the way. The police have two authority figures, both women, both omnicompetent. One black one, one white one, and one with a bit of ...(sorry, I went all dicky-dido there for a moment). As is also laid down, the women are not unattractive but not eye-candy either. They have two male sidekicks, the embittered middle aged one who is a bit slow on the uptake and the young sexually ever-hopeful one who is a bit slow on the uptake. There are some senior people in the wings who are making noises about doing it by the book which is doing it by the TV policier book.

But in a bid for originality they have made the title-part character a bit quirky.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It's because another judge had judged they can't use overhead high voltage power lines. - because of environmental concerns.

This is never because of 'environmental concerns' and always about visual pollution concerns. And who can disagree? Nobody likes extras from the War of the Worlds in their eyeline. And nobody wants their electricity bills shooting (further) into the stratosphere, reply the electricity suppliers, showing us the cost of, as you say, putting everything under, out of sight and out of mind.

I was reminded of this by the establishing shot that Countryfile used at the start of the clip, showing wind turbines far out to sea. Do we all remember when they got banished there when we said we didn't want them in our eyeline on land, and do we all remember that we said we didn't want them ruining our eyeline when sunning ourselves on the beach at... where was it, darling, when you said 'What are those things?' and I said 'What things?' and you said 'Are you wearing your reading glasses' and I said...
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
Professor T (ITV1)
But in a bid for originality they have made the title-part character a bit quirky.

Jasper used to be famous for his impoliteness. His genius is scientifically spotting character flaws in others, and then blurting it out in front of an audience. He gets away with all this because, he is both flawed himself, for which his colleagues make allowances, and valued by the police as they recognise his gifts for solving crime.

Belgium tends to do quirky, as they simply do not have the licence money to blow on chases, explosions, high production values etc. They have to grab your attention by low budget means.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Excuse me, but you must have been brewing up when the statutory chase scene occurred. So I'd better fill you in. As per, les flics call at the front door, are held up talking to mum/bit of stuff while bloke scarpers via the back door, whereupon the two bleus set off in chase but give up ruefully thus establishing they're good sorts and haven't winged him in the back as les police americains might. In the 1,583 times this scenario has been performed since John Logie Baird first did it (it was the bailiffs at the front door) the fleeing criminal, despite fulfilling all the criteria, has never once turned out to be the guilty party. Except John Logie Baird (default summons issued at Sheriffmuir, Clackmannanshire). [ Just my little joke, he lived in Brighton.]
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Belgium tends to do quirky, as they simply do not have the licence money to blow on chases, explosions, high production values etc.

The Belgians are good at quirky with a dark side, cf. Code 37 - Sex Crimes. British (and American) adaptations hardly ever match up to the original drama series, perhaps they rely too much on special effects and whatnot or maybe it's just unfamilar settings and actors are more interesting.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Our Family Farm Rescue with Adam Henson (Channel 5)

This is when Adam off Countryfile goes round telling failing farmers how to diversify. As he has done. The programme seemed quite amiable, a bit like Gordon Ramsey without the cruelty to animals, but it was obvious the programme-makers were anxious to widen the demographic. So the first farm featured Adam in voice over

"The Taylor family made their living from cattle farming but it's not easy and they know this farm needs to make dramatic changes"

Cut to buxom lass in low cut dress on phone. But I'm not sure. Unless it's part of the role play I wouldn't myself want to drive for miles out into the country for anything short of an all-night double slotter and who's going to pay those sorts of prices on a regular basis? Mind you, it worked for farm shops so there's plenty of mugs out there.
Grant

I used to enjoy The Black Farmer sausages. Fine tasty brand and you could congratulate yourself on helping farmers from ethnic minorities.

How disappointed was I when I discovered that although the farmer was indeed black, he was actually an advertising executive and an ex BBC producer.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

The sausages are still available.

https://theblackfarmer.com/about-us/

Just wondering ...
How disappointed was I when I discovered ... he was actually an advertising executive and an ex BBC producer.

Which part disappointed you the most?
Boreades

Has anyone else noticed how many old black & white Paramount Pictures films are now appearing on BBC iPlayer?

I'm looking forward to Harpo's first appearance in Duck Soup.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Not the Black and White Minstrel Show in colour though. Ducks were strictly for foie gras in our family. Chicken soup, yes. Yid penicillin, as my brother used to call it but then he's Jewish so he can get away with that kind of thing. That was before he became a vegetarian of course. Actually it was mum who was the soup comedian of the family. She absolutely slaughtered us one Christmas when my sister asked her if she remembered the time she tried to make consommé. 'Clear as a bell,' said our answer to Les Dawson.

Down memory lane in the soup kitchen.... I'm looking for a title for my autobiography. They have to have quirky ones nowadays after Golda Meir used up the classic 'My Life' said with a shrug. Next on the stocks, last on the stocks, unless Missing Persons breaks all records. Lowish hurdle admittedly. It's on Amazon for pre-ordering by the way. Saying it can be pre-ordered on the Friday when it's out on the Sunday, how does that work? Mind you, it's going to be the devil's own job making 'For the next several decades I was at my desk' seem interesting for the lay audience but that's the writer's task, isn't it? Unless they've got a captive audience. April fool!
Grant

Mick Harper wrote:
Professor T (ITV1)

Just caught up with this. Eventually they will write these things using a computer programme. Brilliant mind with character flaw - tick. Black cop - tick. Stupid white policeman - tick.

You need to write your own policier, Mick. Imagine. Detective who’s a bit dim but solves the crimes by using the principles of Applied Epistemology as detailed in an old, dusty book he found in an Oxfam shop…..
Boreades

Book? What book?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Olympics

I feel sorry for people who have to rely on the BBC. I myself have access to the special multi-channel Eurosport live feed because of my contacts in the media world. BBC coverage is mostly anchors dug up every four years interviewing sports people who have never been interviewed before. Proceedings tend to be either halting or gushing. More exciting are the interviews with the people 'back home' -- generally a pub crowd in a midland market town saying how proud they are because Chrissie, their Chrissie, has won Britain's first ever medal in five-a-side surfing. Yes, that's right, the Chrissie that left home all those years ago for a surf scholarship in America.

But mostly BBC coverage is hours of nothing. I promise you, a volleyball match between Cuba and Kazakhstan (I think it was) was shown in full, or so it seemed I was fast-forwarding at the time. This is another point of contention. Since the BBC repeats every British triumph ad tedium you keep having to stop the fast forward to make sure this is someone qualifying for the final in the two hundred individual medley which you have already seen or the same person qualifying for the final in the four hundred metre individual medley that you haven't seen. Or is it the other way round? Anyway she qualified for the final each time.

Eurosport hardly cares about Brits, doesn't dwell on anybody's triumphs and interviews nobody so you can fast forward until you see a distinctive red swimming hat, go back to the start and settle down to watch the race. By the way always refer to 'the IM' if you want respect in the world of individual medley swimming.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

On the day Simone Biles walkout is literally shaking the earth, Andersen Cooper devotes the first fifty minutes to the Capitol riot (yes, really, they're still up in arms about some geezers getting past security back in January). Then we had five minutes of Covid, then we got to Biles. Cluck, cluck, he and his co-presenters clucked sympathetically about how pressure from being on the world stage can cause mental health problems. I don't remember them being so sympathetic towards Donald Trump who was as mad as a fruitbat.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 146, 147, 148  Next

Jump to:  
Page 88 of 148

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in