MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Flu (Health)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Nicola has just banned Chad from taking his annual holiday in Scotland. It does seem a bit unfair to single him out.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

She’s a bit late... I was up there last month.

Came off my electric bike (not strictly road legal) and suffered a hairline fracture of the right tibia.
Wile E. Coyote

Chad wrote:
She’s a bit late... I was up there last month.

Came off my electric bike (not strictly road legal) and suffered a hairline fracture of the right tibia.

Any chance of compo? If Nicola had introduced the ban earlier, you wouldn't have been able to go.
Wile E. Coyote

The Chinese Academy of Scientists has nominated The Wuhan Institute of Virology as one of its candidates for the 2021 Outstanding Science and Technology Achievement Prize.

The Wolf is betting a monkey on the nose. Wiley reckons "Bat Woman" is a racing certainty for outstanding services to science.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Meanwhile, there's a damp patch developing down under in Australia.

The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) is an Australian Government agency responsible for scientific research.

So what, every country's got something like that?

CSIRO initially gave evidence that it “does not undertake research on live bats at ACDP"

ACDP = Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness

However, Senator Canavan later presented the CSIRO with an excerpt from a scientific paper written in conjunction with the Wuhan lab stating: “Wild caught P Alecto bats were trapped in Southern Queensland, Australia, and transported alive by air to the Australian Animal Health Laboratory in Victoria, where they were euthanised for dissection.

So, technically still a truthful answer, as in : “does not undertake research on bats that are still alive at ACDP"

What did they want these bats for?

The CSIRO and the Wuhan Institute of Virology collaborated on several projects on bats’ antiviral immunity in 2011. The purpose of a study was to understand why bats remained asymptomatic to viral infection that was capable of spillover to other susceptible mammals “with lethal consequences”.

While everything was going well, it was "international scientific cooperation" = Good News.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

This is (also) interesting because of two factors

1. Australian Sky is the only major news outlet, to my knowledge, that has gone all in on the "It's The Chinese What Dunnit" thesis.

2. There's gotta be something more to the current Australia/China rift. For the information of laggards, the Aussie PM made some mildly disobliging comments about China's Hong Kong policies and Australia promptly lost major sections of its economy, all dependent on the export trade with China, which was suddenly closed off to them. Not the least surprising aspect of which is that the broad Digger masses seem not to have risen up in revolt because their leader had been so stupid. I don't say wrong, I do say stupid. That's what we pay 'em for -- not to say what we think.
Boreades

Australia seems to be providing a good few examples of "unintended consequences".

One was how readily Australia let foreign businesses (including Chinese, but not just Chinese) buy-up huge areas of Australian land with mineral rights.

Anecdotally (from friends in Oz) I'm told some Australians are employed, but these shell companies have a habit of selling the minerals at such low prices these companies technically make very low profits, so not much tax revenue goes the way of the Oz Gov.

Which should not be any surprise, given the way any sensible multinational company would arrange its operations and tax affairs. Include many famous-name UK & US companies that regularly get told "it's not fair you don't pay us more tax".

But what's bad for Australia is good for us on the rebound. See the UK/Australia Trade Deal. Eagerly grasped by BoJo & Co, keen to wave some Post-Brexit Good News.

M'Lady is looking forward to the return to the supermarket shelves of some of the better brands of Australian wine, which had disappeared for a while, while Australian growers had been making more profit selling to China.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, but will she be quite so pleased when the livestock disappears from ye olde English countryside. Any way you slice it, Australian meat is going to be a fraction of the price of ye English meat. Britain is about to rerun what happened when the Corn Laws were passed in the 1840's and split the political classes asunder. One half was rooting for the broad acres and the other half were rooting for the broad masses.

We can turn the fields over to viticulture, I suppose. Drought-ridden Australia will soon be leaving that game. Tell her.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
Yes, but will she be quite so pleased when the livestock disappears from ye olde English countryside. Any way you slice it, Australian meat is going to be a fraction of the price of ye English meat.

On the surface, it might seem a blow for most UK meat-producing farmers for sure. And yet, even while we were still in the EU, there was plenty of cheaper non-UK meat on sale wasn't there? But farmers survived quite well with many patriotic(?) customers paying a premium for "home-grown" produce.

We're not so worried as all the meat-producing farms round here have Certified Organic status, and Waitrose is well-stocked with people paying the higher price.

Mick Harper wrote:
We can turn the fields over to viticulture, I suppose.

Our closest farmer is indeed trying that. But it's touch and go, with April and May being the coldest and wettest on recent record.

Mick Harper wrote:
Drought-ridden Australia will soon be leaving that game. Tell her.

Not for a while yet (but frost damage might do it though). Australia has a special kind of Global Warming.

Blizzards are the latest phenomenon to hit the Land Down Under, which have dumped up to a metre (3.3 feet) of early-season snow across vast swathes of New South Wales (NWS) as the state shivers through historic low temperatures. According to 9News, NWS has suffered “a record-breaking start to winter … Sydney’s coldest day in 37 years.”

Did it have any consequences?

Power outages have been reported, as have school closures and a host of cancelled flights.

That might be because Australia, although blessed with massive coal reserves, has been switching to wind and solar. But solar power panels don't work very well while covered in snow.

Their Bureau of Meteorology was cheerful though.

“You know it’s cold when your grape vines start growing icicles!” tweeted the Bureau.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It is heart-breaking having the solution to all this and nobody will listen. It is the reduction in the southern limits of the Amazonian rain forest and the progressive reduction in the plant cover throughout southern Africa that is causing Australia's ills. Southern Madagascar is the latest to suffer from persistent drought, not a sentence one would expect ever to have to write, from the same cause. And Madagascar going dry will in turn make Australia's plight even worse.

While everyone is blaming global warming, nobody will countenance any other reason. Actually global warming tends to increase precipitation since it increases ocean evaporation but that precipitation arrives in the form of hurricanes, typhoons and tropical storms which do their own damage. Even if people won't recognise the Western Effect, surely they can understand that any large scale change in fauna is going to have deleterious effects. Though it's what we are doing at sea that will, in my opinion, be the real long term earth-shatterer. But that's out of sight, out of mind so I don't waste my psychic energy getting heartbroken about that.

A shrug is just a shrug
A sigh is just a sigh
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by
Chad

“You know it’s cold when your grape vines start growing icicles!” tweeted the Bureau.

Then we can expect the market to be flooded with cheap Australian eiswein.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Can you do a turn at this year's AEL Cabaret & Dinner Dance, Chad? I know it's an imposition but we can't afford a carpark attendant, we all have to pitch in.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You can tell the pandemic is subsiding.
Chad

Mick Harper wrote:
Can you do a turn at this year's AEL Cabaret & Dinner Dance, Chad?

This wasn’t just a cheap pun. The conditions described are perfect for production of this rather expensive desert wine.

Throughout the 19th century and until 1960, eiswein harvests were a rare occurrence in Germany. Only six 19th-century vintages with eiswein harvests have been documented, including 1858, the first eiswein at Schloss Johannisberg.[2] There seems to have been little effort to systematically produce these wines during this period, and their production was probably the rare result of freak weather conditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_wine
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It's the way he tells them. "Over there, next to the Honda Civic."
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Jump to:  
Page 65 of 73

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in