MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Randomness (Philosophy)
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wireloop

In: Detroit

Does true randomness exist or are all seemingly random events simply our lack of knowing all the hidden, causal variables which affect our ability to predict events (effects)?
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Wireloop wrote:
Does true randomness exist or are all seemingly random events simply our lack of knowing all the hidden, causal variables which affect our ability to predict events (effects)?

Hey I don't know.

You toss a coin nine times and each times it lands "heads".

You then decide to bet on the tenth toss.

If you happily bet heads you believe in causal links, or fate, or god.

If you happily bet tails, you are either a trickster (like Wile) or you suffer gambler's fallacy.

If you happily bet heads or tails (coz it don't matter), you believe in randomness. It exists in "your" universe, where you have perfectly "fair" coins, "fair tosses" etc. Unfortunately that probably goes to show your universe is created (not by you) and you are an avatar flipping coins... but hey ho.
Wile E. Coyote

Damn, didn't realise it was a rhetorical question.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

I thought this through and came to the inevitable conclusion that there is no such thing as free will.

Not a conclusion I was willing to accept... but one I couldn't deny.
Wile E. Coyote

are all seemingly random events simply our lack of knowing all the hidden, causal variables which affect our ability to predict events (effects)?

If an event is predictive it can't be random. It might appear random but it is not. These sort of seemingly random but in reality.... just very very difficult to predict events need to be solved somehow.

The solution is now Monte Carlo approaches... that take a truly random selection of very very difficult to predict events.... and then game play these selections out, creating evaluations.

Once the evaluation is created you are on your way.

You use randomness, and IT to solve problems that humans can't.

You can identify an Applied Epistemologist as they always select randomly from a normal bell curve.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I have just received a book from an old friend of the AEL, Eric Wargo, on this very topic. At least I think it's on this topic, the book is rather above my pay grade. I am a genius not a savant. Anyway it's called Time Loops and while I can't in all honesty recommend it first hand, I can commend it on general grounds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Loops-Precognition-Retrocausation-Unconscious/dp/1938398920
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Pricey!
Wile E. Coyote

The St Luis random chess has started. This employs the same board and pieces as standard chess but the starting position of the pieces on the players' home ranks is randomized, following certain rules. The random setup makes gaining an advantage through the memorization of openings impracticable. The tournament features Carlsen, Kasparov and others.

In practice the players will normally reject the opportunities this offers and head to what look like standard chess games, and as they do this the players' levels rise as they can then chunk and use their normal thinking patterns.

It only goes to show that with no standard original starting point, man, in collaboration with his enemy, will after a decent interval (let's call it history) have part created something that he feels more comfortable in and understands more. It is not going from primitive to modern, it is creating and travelling, using typical pattern recognition, to a more understandable world where pre-learnt skills count more and chance plays less of a role.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Most valuable. Chess should have done this after either a) everybody knew the best opening lines and/or b) when computers started beating non-computers. A bit like how representational art went weird after photography was invented.

But St Luis will soon discover that QWERTY always rules.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

QWERTY always rules.

Except in France, what was their excuse?

Mick Harper
Site Admin

That I didn't know.

a) how dare they b) they must have switched because I can't imagine they would have started manufacturing their own before QWERTY set in c) was it done 'scientifically' d) est les typistes francaises plus vite than nous e) why is QWERTY faintly on view in your pic f) do they say AZERTY?
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
e) why is QWERTY faintly on view in your pic

It's wot's 'ere:

https://www.branah.com/french
Boreades

There's A Hole At The Bottom Of Maths

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeQX2HjkcNo

An entertaining documentary.

Except there's a hole in There's A Hole At The Bottom Of Maths

Kurt Gödel's can of mathematical worms, despite all their wriggling and convolutions, is only supposed to provide answers that are Yes or No.

Except, this is based on a mathematical version of the old lawyer's trick question - Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

If you don't have your wits about you, you can get locked up. Some mathematicians are still locked up in Gödel's theorem.
Wile E. Coyote

I have recently discovered Littlewoods law which states that on average one (an average being alert 8 hours per day) can expect to see a miracle (a one in a million chance event occurring) every 35 days.

There are about 160 miracles listed in the Bible starting from Genesis. Given that the bible time frame coves 4000 years, there would have been 9125 miracles over the whole time frame seen by an average person. We might expect a holy person, messenger, Christ, to see or create more miracles during their life time. The events in the bible must therefore have been very special miracles rather than more average mundane miracles that did not warrant recording.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You're our very own miracle, Wiley.
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in