MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Questions Of The Day (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 188, 189, 190 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Whilst Nicola continues to aim at attacking the head of the new party, Alba. Alex wisely attacks the legs of the old SNP.

Wei Li wrote:
Attack the legs. Take away your opponent's mobility, only then attack the head.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

This article about Liz Truss was published in the last few days. Her policy on memos is similar to the policy for posting on this site.

If she reads this piece, she’ll likely strike out unnecessary adverbs and send a late-night email asking for a better-written, shorter version — “It could come back marked TL;DR with dead-eyed emojis,”

https://www.politico.eu/article/liz-truss-britain-new-iron-lady-uk-conservatives/
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

O Lawdy, this new race relations report that's just come out is so-o-o off-message. It's whitey's fault. Everyone knows that. As Dame Diane Abbot put it, "It's sad news for Britain's black and brown communities." And it really is. Given that racism is part of the human condition, there's precious little else we can offer them except that it's all our fault.

The Report did confirm what I've been saying for most of my life. That taking all human societies for which we have sufficient information to formulate judgements, Britain is Number One All Time at handling race relations. That too is our fault.
Wile E. Coyote

Recently been taking a look at Scots nationalism, which is now splitting into Independence Now! and Independence (a bit) Later! Both sides now convinced they are the nice Nats, and their opponents are total bastards. This should probably tell them that Scottish Nationalism itself is not after all benign, progressive etc, but the incessant in-fighting is now spotting them noticing that "nationalism" is simply one variant of politicians creating a wider herd mentality to exercise political power, which is neither good or evil in itself.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Let's try to be more helpful when easing them out.

1. It is not the Nationalist split that is the problem, it is the Scottish people's split into half for and half against independence that's the problem. (Though the present imbroglio might dimly reflect this.)
2. Using present models this is ineradicable since either half will not get their way (if independence is achieved) or half will not get their way (if it isn't). A recipe for permanent national strife if ever I heard one.
3. Therefore present models have to be abandoned.
4. Instead, London offers the following programme to Scotland
(a) anything you want short of independence will be granted
(b) but on a rolling, suck-it-and-see basis
(c) if everything goes swimmingly, as measured by the 50/50 going to, say, 65-35 then full independence follows
(d) if not, you can carry on sucking and seeing, or you can abandon the whole programme, or you can keep bits and give back bits that didn't work.

5. It's your choice, Scotland. You steaming pile of etc etc
Grant

Scotland isn’t split 50/50. Most Scots are loyalists, but one quarter of Scottish people hate the English. That quarter votes for SNP in an election which usually struggles to get more than a 55% turnout.

The solution is to give them their referendum but make clear that if they vote no to independence we will abolish their parliament as well.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I doubt that one Scot in a hundred would call themselves 'a loyalist'. It's their union too.
Wile E. Coyote

There is a lot of nonsense about BLM founder Patrisse Cullors buying up properties, and claiming she is now super rich and has sold out. It is of course bollox. Patrisse is simply following a common trajectory of a middle class person, i.e. playing off those at the bottom and the top aginst each other, whilst accumulating a bit of a family fortune.

I, for one, have grown in admiration for her tactical savvy.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I had not heard of this personage before but a one-minute google revealed her true crime was not making millions but that she bought a house in a white neighbourhood. Well, Coyote, for all your liberal cant, would you want her moving in next door? It doesn't apply to me because in Notting Hill being an artist trumps race. We run them out of town whatever their colour.

Not that any of us actually knows who our neighbours are. Apart from Bill and Melissa of course. Such attention-seekers. Which reminds me, I must take their invitation down from the mantlepiece. It's beginning to look its age. Not that it was much cop when I designed it with my Microsoft Action Pen. Well, it was a tribute, wasn't it?
Grant

Black people can’t help it.
What do you do if you raise millions of dollars for Black Lives Matter? I know, buy yourself a house, in fact four houses!
What do you do if police pull you over for a minor infraction? I know, lunge wildly for something in the car.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Well, Grant, this gets us to the heart of the matter. The average Briton has a very healthy respect for the police on account of the arms length relationship. When 'we' are stopped we know it will be for a reason, whether we agree with it or not, and the rarity of the occasion means we just want to get it over with the least consequences and return to our workaday lives. We know how that is best done: a mildly fawning manner and the frequent use of the word "Officer".

Things are slightly different when you know you have been stopped because you have long hair and there is the real possibility that you will be rather brusquely pushed up against a wall preparatory to a drug search. And, since you raise the topic, I once had a gun drawn on me and told to 'Freeze' because, when asked by a member of the LAPD for identification, I 'lunged' for my bag in order to get my passport.
Wile E. Coyote

Grant wrote:
Black people can’t help it.
What do you do if you raise millions of dollars for Black Lives Matter? I know, buy yourself a house, in fact four houses!

This is so middle class, identify a lefty anti capitalist panic, inventively brand it, merchandise it, pay yourself, and invest some of the profits in your personal property. Head off to the upwardly mobile area.

This is really no different to the folks who head up lobbying organisations dealing with overseas aid, refugees, climate, food, the homeless, air pollution et al. Patrisse identified a gap in the guilt market.

Well done. Smart move.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have just received my marching orders for the London elections. I will be adopting my usual practice: if I’m not on the ballot paper I shan't bother.

This took some time to establish because there are twenty candidates standing for Mayor of London. The usual foreigners trying to earn brownie points for their citizenship test – Nims Obunge, Kam Belayev, Niko Omilana, Sadiq Khan – and the statutory nutter, Count Binface. The usual new parties – The Burning Pink Party (I’m surprised that’s legal) and one that really had me puzzled, ‘Vote Women’s Equality Party on orange’. Until a few pages on, all was revealed. There are three different ballot papers: pink, yellow and orange. I may be jumping the gun here but I think women will be entitled to equality once they can jump that hurdle unaided.

I looked and I looked, but no Boris Johnson this time. No idea why not, he's always been a home banker. As we cockneys say.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I'm not saying the Chauvin conviction is wrong, I'm not saying that rough justice sometimes has to be meted out for the greater good, and I'm not saying that exemplary punishments should not be given to the few to protect the many. But let's not forget the dude did not know he was breaking any law and there were a number of law enforcement officers at the scene who didn't think he was either.

In other times, in other jurisdictions, the coroner would have ruled it 'misadventure' and everyone (bar one) would have gone about their business. I hope Chauvin is quietly let out in a few years time despite (I suppose) him being given one of those 99 years-to-life that the Americans go in for.
Grant

And surely it should be classed as a mistrial, seeing that the US president told the jury that the evidence was clear and that they should do the right thing.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 188, 189, 190 ... 299, 300, 301  Next

Jump to:  
Page 189 of 301

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in