MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Flu (Health)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

You are surely overlooking one thing. Human expectations constantly rise. What was acceptable deaths-wise fifty years ago might not be acceptable today.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Sure.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This vaxobrouhaha is becoming stranger by the day. One particular source of merriment is a thousand official spokespersons intoning, "Taking the AstraZeneca vaccine is safer than risking Covid." It sure is but the question uppermost in everyone's mind is, "Is it safer to use one of the other half-a-dozen vaccines?"

So is it? The AE aspect is the following. One country (Norway, an inveterate foe of Sweden, home of AstraZeneca) says 'too many bloodclots'. There is no doubt a) that there have been cases b) the number is not markedly out of line but may be marginally more and c) it is fair enough Norway not using Astra-Zeneca temporarily while it does some more number-crunching, Covid is not a big deal in Norway. What is not fair enough is that a dozen other countries, where Covid is a big deal, immediately announce they are doing the same thing. This isn't science, this is lemmings heading for the exit. From what? From exiting lockdown as soon as. A coupla extra bloodclots is worth a coupla months less lockdown in anybody's proper evaluation of overall risks/rewards.

But now comes the punchline. Just as every country in Europe parks millions of Astra-Zeneca jabs in cold storage, the NHS announces it's suspending the Big Rollout for a month on account of being short of, inter alia, Astra-Zeneca jabs. Come on, dummies, they are available half-price anywhere you wanna look.

Then the counter-punchline. Europe announces Britain's going on the naughty step for squirrelling away Astra-Zeneca jabs. They're in cold storage, dummies, anywhere you wanna look.
Grant

Just realised the real reason for the hysteria currently gripping the western world - modern technology. I don’t mean social media, but the fact that for the first time in history it’s possible for office workers to work from home.

Previous attempts by the WHO to terrify the world and boost their own importance have come unstuck because we simply couldn’t imagine not going to the office. But for the last few years we have been encouraged to work flexibly. Hysterical pandemics in which most of us work from home are now possible. We have the technological, so now it’s happening.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

No. This is internationally organized and planned with greater precision than any military operation in history. We don't stand a chance.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Not by WHO. Have you seen them lately? Couldn't organise a pandemic in a virus lab.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Ishmael wrote:
No. This is internationally organized and planned with greater precision than any military operation in history. We don't stand a chance.

Mick Harper wrote:
Not by WHO. Have you seen them lately? Couldn't organise a pandemic in a virus lab.

The way these things work is no different to running a large department chain. If head office decide to make a big push to sell hot tubs this summer then that's what happens.

- The Manchester branch might be disorganised and terribly run.
- The Birmingham branch might be much more efficient.

It doesn't matter so much. The net effect is everyone is pushing hot tubs, and no individual lower down the pecking order can decide otherwise unless they want to lose their job.

It's just like that, but on a larger scale. You don't need precision. You just need executive control of the major organisations.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

If I understand your metaphor correctly, WHO is the terribly run branch office, so who or what or where is the Head Office?
Grant

There was no head office at Salem in 1692. Hysteria doesn’t need an organiser
Grant

In Salem a couple of girls decided to scream “witch.” The circumstances were perfect for the whole town to join in.

The girls are the World Health Organisation which have tried for years to terrify everyone. This time they pushed at an open door and it’s gone global
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Some minors reported a crime, some adults were punished for it. It happened a long time ago, a long way away and was such a cause célèbre it never happened again. You've put my mind to rest, Grant, cheers.
N R Scott

Mick Harper wrote:
If I understand your metaphor correctly, WHO is the terribly run branch office, so who or what or where is the Head Office?

I don't know.

My guess would be it's more a loose nexus of people at the apex of world finance. Some inner clique of the WEF set.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Well, why didn't you say that in the first place? I've had them in my sights for absolutely yonks.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Remind me who the WEF are. Is it the WWF who had to change their initials because of the other WWF? One finds oneself constantly wrestling with acronyms. 'WWA syndrome' as we call it in AE.
N R Scott

Mick Harper wrote:
Remind me who the WEF are.

The World Economic Forum - "Davos Man"

According to political scientist Samuel P. Huntington, who is credited with inventing the phrase "Davos Man",[111] they are people who "have little need for national loyalty, view national boundaries as obstacles that thankfully are vanishing, and see national governments as residues from the past whose only useful function is to facilitate the élite's global operations"
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Jump to:  
Page 57 of 73

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in