MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Questions Of The Day (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 185, 186, 187 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

First step, concentrate the DC police force to guard the Green Zone.

Given that they now need more troops to guard Joe in Washington than there are in Afghanistan and Iraq put together, then Wiley reckons that a presidential visit overseas is going to be a rare thing. Still, look on the bright side, Joe is going to be able to beat Trump's claim for record numbers attending an inauguration.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Talking of which a relative of mine just made the first recorded joke in family history (other than me)

Hope you can all join us on Wednesday at 8pm to sing Happy Birthday to Auntie Jean, followed by a quiz. We were going to watch the Presidential Inauguration instead, but luckily it is For Biden
Forbidden, geddit? I didn't until I was told. I've got no sense of humour when it comes to my family.
Wile E. Coyote

This makes President Trump the fourth president to refuse to celebrate the inauguration of their successor.

John Adams in 1801 because Thomas Jefferson was the devil.

John Quincy Adams in 1829 because Andrew Jackson was the devil.

Andrew Johnson in 1869 because Ulysses Grant was the devil.

Donald Trump in 2021 because Joe Biden ... ... .....?
Wile E. Coyote

Joe chose Lady Gaga to sing the Star-Spangled Banner. Classy.

Thank god, populism is dead, now Trump is gone.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Has the BBC got an inside track? Or is this a new "pre-obituary" kind of reporting?

Kamala Harris: A president in waiting?

The headline seems like a bit of a coy teaser, because the BBC doesn't say what she's waiting for. Maybe we have to guess.

Kamala Harris has made history in thr‌ee ways – as the fi‌rst woman, fi‌rst black person and fi‌rst person of Indian origin to be elected, but how powerful is she about to become?

I forget where I read it, but I was told that one of the rules of journalism is if any headline is phrased as a question, the answer is "Don't know".

Anyway, I was curious to learn how Kamala Harris is both "Black" and "Indian" at the same time. Wikipedia says her mother is from Tamil Nadu in India, and her father is from "British Jamaica".

With that kind of lineage, shouldn't she be batting for Britain?
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Boreades wrote:
I forget where I read it, but I was told that one of the rules of journalism is if any headline is phrased as a question, the answer is "Don't know".

I've remembered.

It was dinner party chat with a friend and neighbour who works for BBC News. It's standard operating procedure when they reckon they ought to be saying something, but aren't quite sure what they should say, or it's too early to tell. Or the reporter / article writer knows they have a different opinion to their editor / line manager who has to approve the piece.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You invite the gutter press to your dinner parties? Commendably democratic. Not that one would necessarily have much choice in the countryside. As my friend George Orwell put it, "Two legs good, four legs bad."
Wile E. Coyote

There is not going to be much change from Biden.

If you were hoping for a George Osborne style love-in with the Chinese, think again. If you were hoping for a Frau Merkel, hold your nose and get business done with the Chinese, think again. If you imagine that the US doesn't want Europe to pay for its defence, pull the other one.

The US/Uk trade deal was never going to be on with Trump in charge, it won't be with Biden either.

The wall didn't stop migrants going to the US, paying Central American countries won't either.......

Biden will sign the Paris accord, just like Merkel has done. It doesn't mean that Germany will ever meet the targets.......
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Thank God the Democrats are back in charge of the Senate and we can make an end to all this partisanship. But first things first, we had better make sure of that control by filing ethics complaints against various Republican senators to get them expelled.
Grant

I agree with Wiley that the wall wouldn’t stop immigrants. After all we in Britain have defences better than anything in California.

But don’t say the wall didn’t stop them. Trump built less than ten miles of new wall, which is mostly why he lost the election- apart from the cheating.

You’ll hear a figure of 400 miles mentioned but that was renovation of existing wall.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A new psephological principle from our man Grant. If ten miles equals 212 electoral college votes, how many miles of wall would Trump have had to build to get to 272? [Assume, for these purposes, the level of cheating stays the same.]
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Grant wrote:
You’ll hear a figure of 400 miles mentioned but that was renovation of existing wall.

Larf!

Have you seen that "existing wall?" Would have been unsuitable even to a steeplechase.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Trump was not going to win the electoral college. Under ANY circumstances. The man won the popular vote for Chrissakes!

They always planned to cheat as much as necessary and count on the media to gaslight everyone into acceptance.

And no. Turns out it's not that hard to steal a general election. You only need six corrupt, Democrat counties in as many swing states.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

But only if you can guess the six counties.
Wile E. Coyote

I am not sure about Keir standing in front of the flag as a way to recover the red wall seats. I reckon a pipe and deer stalker might be a better look.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 185, 186, 187 ... 299, 300, 301  Next

Jump to:  
Page 186 of 301

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in