MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 145, 146, 147  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
All Creatures Great and Small (Channel 5)

Will this fill the yearning chasm in all our hearts left by Doc Marten? Early days yet. I am getting used to Janet being thirty years younger and called something else.

Is that the Janet that was in Doctor Finley's Casebook? M'Lady Boreades heart still flutters at the memory of meeting Bill Simpson while she was a wee Highland lassie.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

She was in both series.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It transpires that Adam Buxton left Warwick University over an essay he wrote re Gawain & The Green Knight. His lecturer thought he was taking the piss. If only they had both known it was a forgery, Adam could have stayed on and become an Eng Lit lecturer himself. He must be kicking himself.
Grant

Apparently the reason there are fewer animals in All Creatures is because of animal welfare regulations. You can’t just stick your arm up a cow’s backside any more for the sake of drama. And animatronic animals are more expensive than real ones. Of course, that means that at some stage there will be some really gory special effects with a plastic cow’s rectum
Mick Harper
Site Admin

War Factories: The Dambuster Factory Yesterday Channel

My favourite series got badly derailed. I was just settling down to a detailed examination of how Britain organised its wartime aircraft production with special attention to Chadwick's Yeadon plant, the biggest roofed space in Europe, when, like the British war effort, the whole thing was hijacked by the Lancaster bomber and, like British television documentaries about strategic bombing, the whole thing was hijacked by the Dambusters Raid. Now I shall never know. Come on lads (and one notable lassie, Alexandra Churchill) get a grip. Or rather, let go.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Thank you for spoiling it for me, Grant.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Got home from shopping, turned on the telly and found (as usual) my digibox is at 100% and I have to spend the afternoon watching dreary stuff just to make sure that Fulham vs Arsenal gets recorded. It's a dog's life but somebody has to do it.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Day Israel Attacked America (Al-Jazeera)

I am now satisfied that the Israeli bombing of the US spy ship during the Six Days War was accidental.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Was it accidental with one of their own pilots, or one of their mercenary pilots?
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
I am now satisfied that the Israeli bombing of the US spy ship during the Six Days War was accidental.

That's cool! What convinced you?

I always sided with the conspirators. That it was intentional and necessary and that the CIA was run by assholes.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

First of all there was no need. The War had been won and everyone was sitting round waiting for some action. That was my first tip-off. Bloodlust with nowhere to go. The prog said that the Israelis didn't want the Yanks to know they were going to invade the Golan Heights. Pull the other one.

But the main bit was the navy turning up half an hour after the air force had realised their error and knocked off. A planned assault would have had everyone turning up in sequence and actually sinking the damn thing. It was obvious -- navies never talk to air forces -- that the sailors had heard there was a Gyppo boat and they wanted in on the action.

Nothing I heard about the 'cover up' seemed other than everybody scrambling to cover their arses. Plus there are too many Israeli peaceniks for one of them not to have come forward in fifty years to claim their million pounds for the story of the century. There were, after all, upwards of a thousand people all told firing on the 'wrong' ship.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Further to my comments about The Dark Side of Green Energy on the previous page, I just received this.

The Thacker Pass lithium mine in Northern Nevada will have a lifespan of over 40 years and burn 11,000 gallons of diesel per day. It will also burn 1,896 tons of sulfuric acid a day, pollute water resources and eventually use up to 5,200 acre feet of water per year. It is the most dirty way to produce green energy. It will impact Lahontan cut-throat trout, golden eagles, bighorn sheep and sage grouse.

Lithium mining is not green. It uses up water, pollutes air and water resources, is carbon intensive and contributes greatly to climate change, require a huge land footprint and is speculative. This project is being fast-tracked by the Trump people. The EIS states that :"the purpose is to approve the project" ignoring the required No Action Alternative.

Green energy should not prop up a wasteful lifestyle. Lithium recycling needs more attention and energy waste must be slowed down by this culture. We can conserve much more. Basin and Range Watch is helping Great Basin Resource Watch oppose this one. Other concerned organizations are PLAN Nevada and Western Watersheds Project. Electric cars, solar energy storage and our smart phones carry a lot of environmental baggage.

This is a standard Nimby whine -- and entirely justified within in its own terms -- but there is no attempt, even ball park, to say what the average lithium mine produces in terms of overall saving of the planet. It could be big, it could be small, it could be better than this way but not as good as that way -- but for sure lithium mines themselves are not a major worry. When it comes to Planet Earth, none of us are Nimbies.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Secret Life of Centre Parcs (Channel 5)

I was just about to go when I heard it cost £75 to hire a table tennis table for half an hour. I'm such a defensive demon my rallies last longer than that so I couldn't see how you write out a cheque for another half hour whilst holding the bat. I'm not saying they haven't thought of this, there may be some sort of honour system, but I think on this occasion I will stay at home.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Who Killed Brian Jones? (National Geographic Channel)

They got some of the details wrong. After Jagger and Richards made their pact with the devil on the Dartford Loop and were guaranteed world dominion, they were opposed by Jones, an ex-choirboy. You can guess the rest. My own pact -- the Dartford Loop was awash with Dark Forces at the time -- has not as yet delivered world dominion but, as the Lord of Misrule explained, all the more likely to be enduring when it does. A few earthly delights while I'm waiting wouldn't go amiss. No, He said.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

After clearing up some obvious discrepancies in the transcript eg it was the Smithsonian Channel not the National Geographic Channel (apologies to both) I actually watched the programme. I always believe in going straight to the sources rather than relying on tittle-tattle. My verdict: Brian Jones drowned accidentally due to a combination of drink and drugs.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 145, 146, 147  Next

Jump to:  
Page 76 of 147

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in