MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I love it when a couple of old timers rail against their fates.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

some of us were in it for the music, as well as the drugs

Did I ever mention that I once shared a joint with Ray Davies?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, he told me.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Sayings of Susan Sontag

"When my mother re-married we were delighted with the change in name. We were so clearly identified as being Jewish with a name like Rosenblatt."

Yes, I am finally watching the two hour bio of the Great Dame after putting it off for so many months. I perked up when she went off to Oxford - I wanted a Yank's eye view of the Lucky Jim generation -- but she agreed and that was the last we heard as she sped off south to the lesbian delights of the Paris of Ginsberg, the Beats and the New Wave.

She writes her first novel. I bet that was a juvenile horror, I thought to myself, and was pleased to hear everyone agreed with me. Except for being translated into eighteen languages. By the way, fans of imprinting will be pleased to hear that she was farmed out to grandparents because her parents couldn't be bothered so she farmed her children out to their grandparents because she couldn't be bothered. Intellectuals have to be carefully nurtured.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

"The two pioneering forces of modern sensibility are Jewish moral seriousness and homosexual aestheticism and irony."

Even though said by a Jewish homosexual aesthete of high moral seriousness, there is a lot be said for this. Though not now when everyone's a minority and churning out the same old stuff. In future it will have to be straight WASP men who are the pioneering force. If only they could get a word in edgeways.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Well I quite liked her but I couldn't for the life of me see what all the fuss was about. 'Famous for being famous' would be my overall verdict.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Is it my imagination or are ice cubes getting smaller?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I've always been radical in my politics, conservative in my yogurts. Always have been. I was the last kid in our street to go over to Express Dairies' pink-flavoured yogurt. But I like to keep abreast. So, what am I to do about this headline screaming out at me from the back page of the Guardian's foodie supplement on its way to the bin?

Skyriously Thick
SKYR -- Icelandic style yogurt

I refuse to be an early adopter in such a speculative enterprise. I mean, Icelandic yogurt, really? Sorry, Icelandic style yogurt. The island style forgot. It's clearly some sort of marketing gimmick. I want one of you, preferably someone with no Icelandic connections, to buy some and report back. Then, and only then, will I make my move.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Are there any authors in the house?

EXPRESS Yourself is Express.co.uk's search for authentic voices from Britain's streets, front rooms, workplaces, schoolrooms, and just about anywhere and everywhere we can find them.

We are looking for readers with passionate opinions, informed views, and challenging new angles, and we are inviting those readers to become writers and guest columnists on Express.co.uk.

If selected, your words will be professionally sub-edited then published as piece of professional journalism – your words in front of a truly global audience.

No mention of whether any filthy cash is attached to the gig though. Zero hours contract perhaps?

https://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/1320808/daily-express-political-journalism-intern-comment-writing-internship-2020

I have no idea how the Express will decide what is "authentic". Is it like "woke"?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Whenever I get a Windows Update I assume everything in my life will be fixed. It's a great comfort.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I've got a new lucky mug. Initial signs are promising, but then they generally are. As with all new marriages.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Just been to Tesco and caught my reflection in the window... I was surprised to notice what a good looking guy I am.

I think I'll employ the face covering long term.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have taken to writing bare-back, Vladimir Putin-style. It does lend a certain muscularity to my writing as well as confirming me in my general leadership role on this website. The example of Belarus is giving us both pause for thought and means, I'm afraid, dissidence must be curtailed, at least while this current hot spell continues. If it intensifies and the trousers have to come off, I cannot guarantee .... well, let's just hope it doesn't.

All good in the mug department.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Ain't the Internet grand? My vype thingy stopped charging. It's an incredibly small deal, seven quid to replace, but it takes a few days and is a nuisance. So I type in 'my vype thingy has stopped charging' and up comes this bloke who's made a one minute video telling me what to do -- scrape the contacts with a toothpick. Thirty seconds later and life is back on track.

Should I have known that? Should I have worked it out from first principles? Should I have known those three holes I never noticed before were contacts? Are we breeding a nation of twats that know nothing because they don't need to, like me?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We haven't heard much from the Royals lately, have we? Probably all off grouse-shooting. Don't miss the Duke of Edinburgh! Whadyathink? Edinburgh fringe but only if it's cancelled. Yes, that was my verdict.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 80 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in